Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Doug Thorley Long Tubes and JBA catback sitting in my garage a while waiting for the 4x4 Berk B-pipes to be available, got the Berks last week so off to Uprev Austin for installation and dyno.

Got it back today and have not had a chance to drive it much (just from shop back to work, on the phone most of the time) but I can really tell a difference after all the work was done. Since I had it all done at once I didn't really get to compare each improvement along the way, but it's a huge difference from stock to post-work. Seems like a hot rod in comparison, or at least nice and quick for a 5500 pound full size pickup.

The exhaust combo is a little poppy/raspy for my liking, but I'm going to run with it for a while to see how it breaks in. I know others have pulled of the JBA K&N muffler and installed a Magnaflow, I know BBtruck went to a 24" (30" overall I think) and said the sound got quieter and deeper, not sure of impact on performance. I'll do a sound clip with this setup and will do another if I change, so others can compare.

I did notice when taking my foot off the gas I hear a poppy/clangy sound from up front, almost as if a bracket or hangar was loose (metal on metal pingy sound), if at low speed anyway. Not sure if that is normal with headers or just new stuff breaking in/seating, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Uprev did good work and their shop is busy due to that fact and word of mouth I assume.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I did notice when taking my foot off the gas I hear a poppy/clangy sound from up front, almost as if a bracket or hangar was loose (metal on metal pingy sound), if at low speed anyway. Not sure if that is normal with headers or just new stuff breaking in/seating, but I'll keep an eye on it.
That doesn't sound normal. Maybe one of the small heat shields is loose? There is a pair up front, near where the oem cats were located, and more of them aft. Also, the header nuts often need to be retightened after a few hot-cold cycles, or you may get an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drove it more after work, and the sound is actually coming out the back. Almost sounds like a metal piece dragging on the ground or hitting the tire, except it's not relative to movement just to letting off the gas or certain RPM's. It's not rhythmic, kind of random. Can someone describe what CIS is? I imagined it sounding literally like a card in spokes, rhythmic and consistent with speed or rpm.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
CIS is during heavy acceleration and not when letting off the gas.

·
Registered
261 Posts
El Equis do you mind telling me how much or round about what Up rev charged for the header install? i live in new braunfels and am looking for a shop to put my DT's on and want to get Osiris as well, i have called them but no answer, figured they were pretty busy.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
What uprev maps did you go with?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Congrats on the headers and UpRev! It's kinda hard to imagine what you're talking about from your description, but it doesn't sound like the CIS sound. In addition to the heat shields, check the engine mounts and make sure they didn't break a bolt or forgot to tighten one of them during install. It may also be the O2 sensor connectors banging against the tranny tunnel :dunno:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It could be your tail pipe hitting your bumper. When I first did a dual exhaust, I had that. It took me a while to figure it out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
El Equis do you mind telling me how much or round about what Up rev charged for the header install? i live in new braunfels and am looking for a shop to put my DT's on and want to get Osiris as well, i have called them but no answer, figured they were pretty busy.
I sent you a PM with the info.

What uprev maps did you go with?
I went with
1: 87 octane performance tune
2: economy tune
3: stock tune
4: 93 octane performance
5: Anti theft mode (1MPH, 1000RPM)

LAYER1 - No before numbers from the dyno. When I picked it up from Uprev they were having a printer issue and I needed to get on a conference call, so I asked them to send me a PDF. Haven't got it yet so I don't even have after numbers.

ALL - In listening to the sound more, it is definitely coming out the tailpipe and I can hear the irregular pop/ping going 70 on cruise control. I didn't have a chance to take it out tonight, so more troubleshooting tomorrow. It almost sounds like something loose IN the piping, but when turning her over and revving her up in the garage I didn't hear what I hear when moving so something loose is what it could be. I'm going to go back out and look now, I just came in to share this sound clip:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
ALL - In listening to the sound more, it is definitely coming out the tailpipe and I can hear the irregular pop/ping going 70 on cruise control. I didn't have a chance to take it out tonight, so more troubleshooting tomorrow. It almost sounds like something loose IN the piping, but when turning her over and revving her up in the garage I didn't hear what I hear when moving so something loose is what it could be. I'm going to go back out and look now, I just came in to share this sound clip:

YouTube - Nissan Titan - DT LTs, Berks, JBA - Sound Clip
I bet the sound your hearing the the rear portion of the exhaust clanging around.. it comes with this clamp but the clamp doesnt clamp it tight enough to keep it from moving around.. it has to be tack welded.. should be the last portion of the pipe last 3-4' have a exhaust shop weld that for you so it isnt moving around

as for the muffler swap, the muffler you want is this one.. it will give a deep growl not as raspy as the jba..

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=9069

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Uprev did weld the last hangar to the exhaust, there's only about 1.5' after that. Seemed tight when trying to move by hand, not enough to hit body. But something is hitting, I just need some time to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Congrat's on the awesome new mod's! Sound's like it's breathing really good now!

I do here the CIS though. I would try the muffler swap Toomny suggested.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Toomnymods, I'll check that connection.

What is the difference between that 22' Magnoflow "high performance" and the 24" Maganflow XL BBTruck recommends? High flow model is twice as expensive.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Thanks Toomnymods, I'll check that connection.

What is the difference between that 22' Magnoflow "high performance" and the 24" Maganflow XL BBTruck recommends? High flow model is twice as expensive.
The one I reccomended wont be raspy.. thier is a ton ofs packing material.. other one is probably a straight thru design and have the chance of still being raspy..

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Tons of packing material" sounds like a performance reducer to me. I also read on another thread that it was intended as more of a factory muffler replacement. I do want it quieter, deeper, and not raspy/pingy but I also just paid a lot of money to improve performance. I'll have to weigh the pros/cons.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
"Tons of packing material" sounds like a performance reducer to me. I also read on another thread that it was intended as more of a factory muffler replacement. I do want it quieter, deeper, and not raspy/pingy but I also just paid a lot of money to improve performance. I'll have to weigh the pros/cons.
lol if it worked for my titan im sure it'll be more than good enough for 315-325hp titan :p
i ran my fastest n/a time with that muffler it still is a straight thru design it just has a internal splitter that divides the airwaves to further reduce the soundwaves.. kinda like a backwards y pipe then it rejoins the 2 sides again at the end of the muffler

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, that's a good point. I forgot I was talking to toomnymods! If it's a performance reducer I am sure you wouldn't use it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My Titan is pretty weak, here are the Uprev charts

1 - 20 of 48 Posts