Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been making my own cabin filters from disposable material for a while now because I hate paying the price for the OE pleated paper filters.

While the way I was doing it was just fine ($8.00 worth of material for probably six filter swaps) I decided to go ahead and try an easier solution and go with a washable media in frames, similar to what a couple of people have made in the past, but no longer seem to have available.

I bought the filter pictured for $20.00 from Home Depot. This is the only cost for the entire project. As you can see from the photos, there is enough washable filter media for probably six filter pairs. This filter also comes with it's own plastic adjustable frame, so that eliminated the need to find some other framework...You can't make enough frames to make use of all the filter media supplied, but you could of course use some other plastic or aluminum channel if desired. I think this would be a great project at Titan meets.

Anyway, I'll post the photos (only 5 are allowed per post) to give an idea how this is done. I know it's not rocket science...the whole thing took me about 20 minutes, start to finish. Just take your Nissan filter, mark the new media, and cut with scissors. The plastic grid that goes on each side of the media takes a knife to cut. Don't worry about making the dimension exact...cut it about 1/4" short because there is plenty of play with the plastic framework.
I cut the framing with a fine tooth pullsaw, but I also tried it on a chop saw, and it worked fine.
The framing is supposed to be adjustable when it comes out of the package, so part of it slides within the other half. This means you don't have to worry about miter cuts. Just slide the smaller frame into the larger frame and you are done. I used electrical tape to hold the whole thing together and it worked perfectly. When I went to slide the filters into the box, it fit like a glove, first time.

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More photos

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These filters slide in very easliy, but they are still a snug friction fit. Now just take 'em out and rinse off, slide back in. This is so easy. Makes the whole idea of paying $25-$30some for the paper filters.

Of course I have no idea how well they work. I will let them go for about 10,000 miles and see how clogged up they are. I'm considering adding another layer of fine filter media to the upwind side, but I don't think it will be needed.

You can see how much material is left. Get your Titan buddies together, find some extra C channel for frames, and get six pairs of filters put together for pennies on the dollar.

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cabin filters located behind the glovebox. If you have them, you should check them. If you have an XE, you won't have the actual filter, but you do have a location for them.

·
Registered
530 Posts
what is the purpose of theese???

·
Registered
84 Posts
Excellent, Krodad! I will remember this for when it's my time. Thanks!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Krodad said:
The cabin filters located behind the glovebox. If you have them, you should check them. If you have an XE, you won't have the actual filter, but you do have a location for them.

Thanks for the very useful information. I have a '04 XE and had no clue about the filter.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
I cant believe so many had no idea about the cabin filter! Doesnt anyone ever read the owners manual??? This is a great money saving way to go! Im sure it will work fine thanks for the time to share..

Reactions: TheeKB

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
Great write up and pictures. Good job Krodad

Krodad said:
No KC come with it either no matter trim level, why I don't know.:D

jkelley3209 said:
what is the purpose of theese???
Look at this thread, imagine that stuffs in your cabin.:D
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-problems-dealer-service/38057-pictures-my-cabin-filters.html

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I added the filters to my KC, but I seem to have lost a lot of airflow, It seems to take about three times as long to defrost my windshield, I even pulled them back out to make sure they were installed the right direction, and they were, I don't think I will be putting the filters back in thier after the current ones are worn out.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts