Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember my dad buying something years ago called a Tornado that was installed in the air intake and was supposed to increase the gas mileage. It was on his Ford Explorer and he claimed that it actually worked. Anyone have an idea if this might work on the Titan? Any increase in mpg would be great, especially at today's prices.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
sss said:
I remember my dad buying something years ago called a Tornado that was installed in the air intake and was supposed to increase the gas mileage. It was on his Ford Explorer and he claimed that it actually worked. Anyone have an idea if this might work on the Titan? Any increase in mpg would be great, especially at today's prices.
I have seen this advertised on late nite T.V. I think it has to be B.S. When I was in engineering school, one of the things they had in a lab was a small block Chevy connected to a dyno and a very precise fuel metering system. There was a constant stream of wackos with little gizmos that were supposed to increase fuel mileage. None of them worked. The Tornado reminds me of those days.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
The Tornado was actually sued and lost here in the US due to false claims. They get around it now by producing it overseas and selling through 'distributers' here in the US.

Chris

·
Registered
174 Posts
CaliforniaTitan said:
The Tornado was actually sued and lost here in the US due to false claims. They get around it now by producing it overseas and selling through 'distributers' here in the US.

Chris
Yup, Bunch O Chrap!
Dont wast your money or your time researching it! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
junk :jester: :jester: junk :jester: and more junk

·
Registered
497 Posts
yep its a gimmic like everyone already said, sorry i have to :hahano: ok ill stop.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The tornado is a great way to void your warrenty too. Espcially when the cheesy impeller busts off and goes into your engine. The tornado is a joke much like slick 50, pro long, and anything else that might seem to good to be true. :jester:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found this while surfing around today:

TORNADO Air Management Systems

Guide Rating -

There are many products on the market that claim to increase performance and gas mileage. Most of these products fall short of their claims, and in some cases totally mis-represent their products. For the last three months I have been testing one such product. It is called the Tornado.

According to their advertisement, they claim to increase fuel economy by up to 24% and increase power up to 15 horsepower. They say the Tornado does this by creating "a vortex or swirling effect to the engine" resulting in an "improved airflow into the engine's combustion chamber, causing a more efficient mixture between air and fuel."

The Tornado fits in the air intake hose before the intake manifold and after the Air Flow Meter. On carburetor engines, it fits inside the air filter. The idea is to spin the air into a little tornado that will better mix the fuel with the air.

I put the Tornado into a 1998 Chevy 1500 pick up, a 1999 Lincoln Town Car and a 1987 Chevy S-10. Before the Tornados were installed, the owners of the vehicles did a fuel mileage test. I also did an emissions test and put them on a Dynamometer for baseline measurements.

The mileage test was done with the mileage from three tank full's of gas and averaging them out. The same tests were done after the Tornados were installed. Fuel mileage on the Chevy Pick up increased by .2 mpg and the Lincoln Town Car increased by .1 mpg. The mileage on the S-10 decreased by .4 mpg. So much for the fuel mileage increase.

How about the increase in power? All three drivers said they felt an increase in power after installing the Tornados. I put them back on the Dynamometer to see how much the power increased. We got the same horsepower readings on all three cars, no increase in horsepower. I asked the drivers why they said their cars had more power and they all said, "Well, it felt like it had more power."

After these two tests were done, I did another emissions test. As with the other two tests, there was no reduction in the exhaust emissions of any of the test vehicles.

The feel of increased power is what the consumer expects to feel. So it is a matter of perception.

Something was done to the engine and the driver perceives it as an improvement he can feel. Much like the perceived feeling after an oil and filter change was done. It feels better because we expect it to be better.

To be honest, I did not expect there to be any increase in power or mileage. Every product I have tested to date has failed to offer any significant increase in power or mileage. In my opinion you would do better to take the $69.98 the Tornado costs and get a good tune up. That is still the best way to get the most power and mileage from your engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It doesn't work. I tried one on a 4.6L F150 and a 6.8L F250. Both vehicles ran exactly the same as before and I saw no increase in gas mileage. The K&N air filter did work well on both vehicles,so I've ordered one for my Titan. So much for miracles.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
sss said:
The feel of increased power is what the consumer expects to feel. So it is a matter of perception.

Something was done to the engine and the driver perceives it as an improvement he can feel. Much like the perceived feeling after an oil and filter change was done. It feels better because we expect it to be better.
Yes, the placebo effect. In drug studies that are not double-blind, the placebo effect can account for like 40-50% of the favorable results. If you tell people you are doing something good for them, their mind wants to make it true.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts