Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting to be helpful on this topic, since I've learned a few things and bc I see this topic posted in many places.
  • You cannot open the Door inside or out, Why?
    • Frozen actuator due to weather
    • Release cable is stretched due to age or improperly removing panel previously and stretching cables to door handle or lock
    • Linkage clip fell off
  • How to open a door that won't open even from inside
    • If driver door side, pull the driver's seat (in most cases, it's only 4 bolts and unplug 1 to 4 wires based upon seat features)
    • Then proceed with removing door panel as described in many different posts/videos. With the seat removed you can swing the door panel out of place without damaging or bending the panel. (An unscrupulous dealer will try to sell a new panel to you.)
  • Once the Door is Open
    • If actuator is frozen, try to free by using mallet at increasing intervals of force, then lubricate
    • If linkage has come apart, try to reset plastic clip or innovate a way to keep it from coming off again
    • If the cable to door handle or lock is attached but operate loosely, this means they are stretched and need to be replaced
      • Generally they come attached with a new actuator and it's good to replace both at this time if you can afford both. Be careful on install or re-install not to stretch cables or you will need new parts again.
This is a relatively easy job to do with common tools but be careful to not damage parts or scrape up door panel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have door panel off, but mechanism wont release door to open. Tried fitting with hammer and stick. pulled all switches and latches. that mechanism just won't release that door to open. Do I just smash the hell out of it until it just literally smashes off?

·
Premium Member
73,102 Posts
Depends on if you want to buy a new door instead of unlocking the latch...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Hit it hard with a rubber mallet to unfreeze the lock. Switch to metal mallet if that doesn't work. This is hitting the INSIDE of the locking devise, NOT the outside. Just FYI - I was able to fix but the issue returned. So with needing all new door parts, I gave up and took it to the dealer for an overnight stay to the tune of $745.00. Spent more on parts than labor.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Seriously, my driverside door will not open from the outside or the inside.
I got the window down and undid the 10mm bolts and started prying it from the top. I got the top undone but could not undue the bottom as the did not allow enough clearance. I then crawled in the back and undid the to bolt on the seat. I went over the center console to get the front bolts and broke the center console cup holder/shifter cover which they do not make anymore and the ones on eBay are junk. After pouting awhile and drinking a beer I got the front bolts out and push/pulled the seat to the back of the cab. Ithen finished pulling the door panel.
The pull cable for the inner handle was all the way out, the pull cable for the out door would not work either.
Now what?
I have thought about taking a Drexel and start cutting the actuator apart .
Any ideas???????
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts