Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to the track last night and only ran once because of a bike wreck, thank God he was o.k.! Here's where it get's ugly, I got home flashed a new Rom in to lean up my launch, BAD IDEA. I was heading to the track and my truck felt sluggish to me. I did a 0-60 just to see what was up and to log it. Log looked decent but it still felt sluggish. I'm thinking the truck was learning but not fast enough. Anyways ran a 14.41 @ 94mph on my one and only run. It was either the tune or a plug is fouled because it's not pulling as hard on the top end as it was 2 days ago:( Needless to say something isn't right because the DA was 1300 and I ran a 14.40 in that same DA before headers. NOT HAPPY RIGHT NOW:( I'm going to pull a plug and look at it, then just let the truck learn for a week and run it again. Anyone else's truck feel sluggish after a flash like this?

PS: I post the good, bad and the ugly:)

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Put my older Rom back in today and it feels alot better. Just went out and ran a 0-60 .1 faster than at the track Friday night in a 2200 DA compared to the 1300 DA at the track. I'm going to let it learn all week and hopefully hit the track this weekend or next at the latest. Feels like it pulls hard again! Man I shouldn't have flashed a new Rom b4 the track, live and learn I guess!

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah you gotta let the truck learn the tune and do about 3 0-60 pulls before hitting the track
Any idea how many tenths it could affect it? It felt like it was holding shift and just not pulling hard on my first and only pass:( Today it felt really good after I put the older Rom back in. Also I think I ran it in my 87 street map, actually I'm pretty positive I did because that's what I run on the street and didn't change maps when I got there. That might be worth .1-.15 I'd say. Any idea? I feel heart broke right now thinking that headers didn't give me any gains. LOL

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Where you running Cipher going down the track? Was the truck pulling timing on launch? There's no telling what the different tunes will effect without know how your truck is running on each tune. You gain a good bit from the truck learning the tune.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where you running Cipher going down the track? Was the truck pulling timing on launch? There's no telling what the different tunes will effect without know how your truck is running on each tune. You gain a good bit from the truck learning the tune.
Timing went from 31 @ 2100 rpms to 20 @ 3425 rpms & maxed at 34 @ 5825, so yes your right it did pull timing. What causes that? Knock?

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Too much heat (I.E. heatsoak, which is why heatsoak will kill your times) or yes knock. Low grade gas
During the run the outside temp was 70 and after sitting and waiting in line with the truck running my IAT was 102 degrees now that you mention it. You think the heat soak killed my times?

Now that you say that, that's like running in 100 degree heat with my IAT's like that!! Good lord, no wonder I ran the same times. This Saturday I'm going to run and give it a good cool down. This track I can basically drive right up to the line and go:) Thanks OFIVE!!

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Yeah no doubt man, its hard sometimes to avoid heatsoak. When I was running my car, first time was right off the street, and ran horribly. Second run, I did so good, let the car sit for a while, and pushed it through the staging lanes, then I drive into the burnout area, and the car in front has something wrong. So the tech guy talked to him, finally he reversed out the way, but the car in the other got to go by itself before me. All this while I'm sitting there idleing. I was so pissed. You can feel it. I get out and run around in my car before it has had time to idle, and its a rocket. Now that's its 90+ outside, I have noticed with a passenger, my car feel no faster then my Titan in cool weather and the throttle response blows. The heat will straight up destroy your performance lol

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
When an engine pulls timing, it's going to be: engine load, intake air temperatures, or knock detection

More often than not it's the engine load and intake air temperatures. ECU's have tables that modify how much ignition is cut from intake air temperatures and they have load tables that tell the car what ignition timing to run based on load.

IF the knock sensors hear knock, they will cut ignition based on knock ignition limit tables. Basically, these tables tell the ecu how much ignition to pull in the certain areas when knock is detected.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
So its prolly best to sit and cool after every single pass? Not to make back to back passes? Also when the timing pulls like that does it stay there or go back to normal once everything has calmed down?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
yeah it always seems when im at the track my first 3-4 passes are ALWAYS my fastest and it slowly gets worse as the night goes on....i even pop the hood and let it cool for over an hour and still run slower....GOOD LUCK DS! i was looking at those DTLTs but if you dont show much of a gain off of them im trying another brand!

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I'll argue this till I drop...lol, but if your engine temp is at 190 (normal operating temp), you are good to go. I've hot-lapped many times with no significant ET difference as long as my engine temp was at 190.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll argue this till I drop...lol, but if your engine temp is at 190 (normal operating temp), you are good to go. I've hot-lapped many times with no significant ET difference as long as my engine temp was at 190.
I agree but hotlapping is different than heat soaked. If I hot lap my iats stay 10-15 above outside temp. Heat soak is from sitting in line with the truck running like I did. My iats were 46 degrees above outside temp at take off.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I'll agree that +30-40 IAT does matter for the first few seconds. Sometimes there is nothing you can do if the guys ahead of you are wasting too much time. I always wondered if a few pieces of dry ice would help if there were pockets attached to the intake air box. This would be different than icing down the intake manifold because you would leave them in there for the run.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Thats interesting. I wouldnt mind trying it just to see. Couldnt hurt anything right?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Thats interesting. I wouldnt mind trying it just to see. Couldnt hurt anything right?
I wouldn't put them in the air box, but attached to the outside body of the box. I have no idea what kind of gas dry ice emits if it's inside the air box...

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Yea outside of course but how?
I don't know, so let us know when you figure it out...:) Also, those flat, small, reusable plastic ice packs should work too. My first thought is duct tape...lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts