Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
When an engine pulls timing, it's going to be: engine load, intake air temperatures, or knock detection

More often than not it's the engine load and intake air temperatures. ECU's have tables that modify how much ignition is cut from intake air temperatures and they have load tables that tell the car what ignition timing to run based on load.

IF the knock sensors hear knock, they will cut ignition based on knock ignition limit tables. Basically, these tables tell the ecu how much ignition to pull in the certain areas when knock is detected.

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
So its prolly best to sit and cool after every single pass? Not to make back to back passes? Also when the timing pulls like that does it stay there or go back to normal once everything has calmed down?
It depends. I can hot lap my car and not lose any speed or et. But honda designed my engine to run hot and i have a very good very well insulated CAI that doesn't heatsoak.

And generally, timing will go back to normal quickly, but not all ecu's are the same. Sometimes it may stay with ignition retard for quite some time before it goes back to normal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.