Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SL, Texas Edition, Big Tow, Blizzard white, Tastefully modded (in my own expert opinion, lol)!
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for the advice, tchjts1. I definitely have no plans on cheaping out on the spark plugs. I agree with you on RockAuto being a great source for parts.

My F-150 was the same way when it came to reaching the spark plugs. It took a combination of 3 extensions and 2 swivels to reach the two rearmost plugs. I have an old body pillow that I would throw on top of the engine so I could just lay down on it and work in comfort, lol!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yep I just bought a set of Ruthenium NGK plugs putting them in today. I think they are spaced at .43. Does that seem right? I thought the Titan was .44

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 SL, Texas Edition, Big Tow, Blizzard white, Tastefully modded (in my own expert opinion, lol)!
168 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Small project today... I decide to revitalize this ugly. chalky piece of plastic:

I used Krylon Fusion (sorry, no bed liner like the rest on the forum, lol) which is specifically made to bond with palstic and needs no adhesion promoter. I chose Satin black for this project. One of the cool things about Fusion paint is that it works equally well on metal, so I was able to paint the wiper arms to match while i was at it.

There are plenty of how-tos out there for removing the wiper cowl, so I didn't document that. If you saw my cabin aoir filters earlier in this thread, what was under the cowl won't surprise you. Let me just say this: DON'T. PARK. UNDER. A. DAMN. OAK. TREE!

After cleaning out all the leaves, pollen and detritus from under the cowl, I cleaned the cowl halves with water, then Windex, then rinsed and dried them. The wiper arms got washed the same way, them lightly sanded with a fine sanding sponge. After that, all of the pieces got about 3 coats of Krylon Fusion.

While the final coats were drying, I pulled all of the white plastic push-pins from the cowl area. If you don't already have a pair of panel clip pliers, do yourself a BIG favor and buy some. they make pulling these king of pins and clips without breaking them a real breeze. (By the way, it's a lot easier to pull the pins if you close the hood first.)

I went and cooked dinner while waiting for everything to dry enough to handle. A couple of hours later, it was time for reassembly. Pop all of the plastic pins into their homes on the underside of the cowl halves.

This makes reassembly MUCH easier then trying to leave the pins on the truck and slide the cowl onto them. Install the pins onto the cowl, and then the cowl just pops into place.

So here's the result with the cowl and wipers reinstalled:

It looks as good as new and is a huge improvement in the way the front of the truck looks. this is a quick and easy mod that I highly recommend.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Nice truck! If you like to customize but still keep the (high end) OEM look, maybe consider paint-matching the interior of the headlight housings before you install. Cooking your headlights in your kitchen oven to crack them open is scary the first time, but it’s definitely worth the trouble IMO. I’m no painter, so I have a local automotive paint shop handle that part. It doesn’t stand out as an aftermarket mod, but it adds a lot of character and many high end brands go that route.
But please, if you do it, skip the RGB color changing Oracle Halo rings :LOL:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Today's project (which took all of 10 minutes, lol) was installing chromed stainless steel window channel covers. I was thinking about pulling off the window seals and painting them black like I did with the wiper cowl. But, upon really looking at my OEM window channel seals. I noticed quite a few small dents, possibly from hail. Even if I took them off and painted them, I'd still see those dents every time I get close to the truck.

The installation was pretty simple. I washed the sills really well with a scrubber sponge and Windex. after a good rinse and letting them dry, I wiped each sill with an alcohol pad. The final step was just peeling the backing off the 3M tape and carefully sticking them into place. Each piece is held on by 4 pieces of 3M tape: one at each end and two that run the entire length of each piece. They aren't going to come off in a carwash or while driving. You definitely want to get them lined up really well before you stick them in place. There's no way you could peel them back up to reposition them without ruining them.

The fit of the pieces is really good. They are just short enough of the edges to keep from overhanging.

IMO, they look pretty good!

I think they look good with the chrome door handles and mirrors. The sill covers aren't "Pimp My Ride" showy. They might stand out more on a dark colored truck, but white and chrome just seem to go together. I think they're a classy addition, but low key enough that most people wouldn't even notice that they are an aftermarket addition.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nice truck! If you like to customize but still keep the (high end) OEM look, maybe consider paint-matching the interior of the headlight housings before you install. Cooking your headlights in your kitchen oven to crack them open is scary the first time, but it’s definitely worth the trouble IMO. I’m no painter, so I have a local automotive paint shop handle that part. It doesn’t stand out as an aftermarket mod, but it adds a lot of character and many high end brands go that route.
But please, if you do it, skip the RGB color changing Oracle Halo rings :LOL:
Thanks! Yeah, I definitely WON'T be adding RGB rings and the like! I've baked open headlights and tail lights before to do custom LED installs. In fact, I did custom paint-matched tail lights on my old F150. For this truck, I'm going to keep the inner parts chrome, at least for now. Just going to upgrade the headlights to a more modern design with better light output.

I'll have all the parts I need to revamp the front end by tomorrow. Unfortunately, I wrenched my back while replacing the soft top on the Miata. So, I'll probably wait until next week to tackle replacing the bumper, lights and horn on the Titan.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Today's project (which took all of 10 minutes, lol) was installing chromed stainless steel window channel covers.

Where did you get them from? I was looking at replacing mine with OEM black because they are in really rough condition from the weather, but as I recall the OEM ones were rather pricey. Do you have a link where you got those? Perhaps they have them in black.

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
These look great! Curious to see how they look and what the light output will be like.
I'm excited about getting them installed. I'll probably do it next week on my day off, at the same time as replacing the front bumper. I'll post pics afterwards.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If/when you decide to upgrade the audio I might be interested in purchasing your stock set-up. I'm getting a 2004 Titan LE crew cab off-road edition in the next couple of weeks and it has an aftermarket stereo that I'd prefer to "upgrade" back to stock. I'll keep track of your thread to get more ideas for my Titan!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I made a tiny mod today. But sometimes it the small details that you really appreciate. The PO of my truck allowed something to sit in one of the cup holders long enough to leave a dark stain that looks like rust.

I scrubbed and scrubbed, but I couldn't get the stain out. I could just buy a new cup holder insert, but the price is stupidly high. Then I came across these cool little coasters:

They're made out of a flexible rubber and fit snugly into the bottom of the cup holders. The little raised tab on the edge is to make them easy to remove for cleaning. Plus they only cost $8.77 for a pair.

Much better looking! Again, it's a tiny detail, but very pleasing to have the cup holders looking better than new.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I bought a pair of these cool, modern looking LED tube taillights:

Unfortunately, they turned out to be garbage. One of the lights I received had a long, black thread dangling inside. Like someone caught their shirt in it during assembly and just left the loose thread sealed inside the light. Ok, so I can forgive that... Accidents happen. What I can't forgive is how pitiful the light output of the LEDs is. In bright sunlight, you can barely tell the "c tube" is even on. The brake lights are equally dim. I wouldn't be surprised if someone rear-ended a truck with these lights, not even aware that the driver was braking. If you just want something different from your OEM lights, buy these. If you want something better, look elsewhere. I decided to stick with the OEM taillights. They are pretty darn good looking after all. I'm just going to upgrade them with new LED bulbs.

Speaking of LED bulbs, I upgraded the cargo and reverse lights with these LED bulbs. Holy crap they are bright!!! They are well worth the $9 a pair! I have LED replacements for the brake and signals bulbs on the way now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well, the company I bought the lights from gave me a refund and told me not to bother sending back the lights... Shows what they're really worth, lol! I may bake them open and play with rebuilding them with better LEDs. That'll be a project for much farther down the road.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I jumped into my facelift project today. Here's what I started with:

Dented up original bumper:

OEM headlights beginning to get hazy:

Weeeeeak sounding OEM horns:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Unfortunately, I didn't notice the dent in the new bumper until I had it installed. It looked so pretty an unblemished. It's hard to see from some angles, but in this pic you can just see the dent in the top near the center.

I left a voicemail with the company I bought the bumper from. They had a big sticker inside the package with their phone number that said they would do whatever it takes to make right any problems. We'll see how fast they move to resolve this.

Anyway, nothing more I can do about that for now, so on to more fun things.

The wimpy old horns got replace with a Marco Tornado. It's a dual tone air horn that puts out 151 dB and sounds like a train! I reused the OEM mount and put the Tornado on the bottom arms. I might add a Marco Hurricane (single deep tone that equally loud) later. I heard that combo once and it was amazing!

After the horn, I turned my attention to the new headlights. I decided to use LED bulbs for the turn signals, so I had to add resistors to avoid hyperflash. If you've never used Posi-tap connectors, you owe it to yourself to buy some for your next project. They beat the old vampire taps hands down. They're easy to use, work every time and you can remove them without leaving the wires all mangled.

I added LEDs, and the required resistors, to the rear end while I was at it. Now, all of my exterior bulbs are LED except for the Hi and Low beams. I'll probably go HID for those in a while.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
While I was working, the postman dropped off the billet grille kit I had ordered, so I went ahead and installed that, too. After buttoning everything back up, I was left with this:

21 - 40 of 76 Posts