Nissan Titan Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SL, Texas Edition, Big Tow, Blizzard white, Tastefully modded (in my own expert opinion, lol)!
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I really like this mod, but what's the orange thing with wires coming out of it in this photo?

That's a resistor to prevent hyperflash since I changed over to LED bulbs in my turn signals.

·
Registered
2012 SL, Texas Edition, Big Tow, Blizzard white, Tastefully modded (in my own expert opinion, lol)!
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Ah, OK. Would I need to do that also if I tie in the LED lights in the bed like you did?
No, the resistor is only needed when replacing the standard turn signal bulbs with LED bulbs. There would be no need for a resistor when adding the LED strips and tying into the cargo lamp.

FWIW, here are the supplies I used:
Purchased for this project:
Items I already had:
Positap connectors​
3M tape​
Soldering iron and solder​
Shrink tubing​

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Two projects today. The first was installing Hellwig Traction Control springs. The result is AMAZING! Here's a different post I made about them: Hellwig Traction Control Springs... OMG!!!

The second project was a 2" leveling kit. I finished up too late to get a good picture, but I'll take and post one tomorrow.

While I had my OEM 20" wheels off the front, I laid them down in the driveway to get them out of the way. I had to laugh when I saw the difference is scale white my Titan wheel laying next to my lowered Miata. The Miata looks like a toy!

IMG_20200701_194107 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

IMG_20200701_194055 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Looks so much better with the leveling kit, great job!
Thanks! I agree, it looks WAY better! I kind of want to go 1" higher front and rear. Lifting might be slightly addictive, lol!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I did a few other things over the 4th of July weekend.

I replaced my bent rear bumper. The PO of my truck didn't handle a large vehicle very well and backed into his house, bending the right side of the bumper. So, a new chrome shell and plastic caps were in order. The set I order from Amazon arrived with a small scratch on the chrome. When I contacted the seller, they offered a refund... but then said to keep the bumper as it was too expensive to ship it back. Well, for $350 I wasn't going to accept a bumper with a scratch on it, but for free?!?! I installed the otherwise fine bumper and I can live with one 2" scratch!

IMG_20200706_201138 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

Here, you can see the damage that the PO did to the bed when he tried to back through his house. It's not super noticeable, and I think a PDR place can get it back into shape, or at least really close.

IMG_20200706_201157 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

The license plate lights that came with the bumper were so cheap that when I twisted the bulb into the socket, they shattered. So I bought some LED tag lights to replace them. I opted for the version that has some red lenses on the outside. It's a minor difference, but looks good, IMO. Typical of LEDs, the color looks washed out n the pic, but it's a nice deep red in person.

IMG_20200706_201146 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
While smoking my Independence Day Brisket, I worked on sealing up the massive gaps between the bed and tailgate.
MVIMG_20200703_215035 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

A long strip of gasket from about 1" below the bed up to the striker blocks:
IMG_20200705_134426 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

Then a shorter piece from the top of the bed to about halfway down the tail light:
IMG_20200705_134430 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

Finally, a short piece at the top corner of the tailgate:
IMG_20200705_134438 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

IMG_20200705_134445 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

It's not perfect, but I think it's a pretty good start. I need a good rain (or a car wash) to test it out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
I just got a great price on a non-nav center cluster bezel... $150. I hope it's in as good shape as it looks in the Fleabay listing.

That's the first step toward removing the OEM nav unit and Fosgate stereo so I can install an Android head unit with a 10.1" touchscreen. This is the one I'm probably going to use: Amazon.com: 2020 Double Din Car Stereo,Android 10 Radio with Bluetooth 5.0, Eonon 10.1 Inch Car Radio Android Head Unit Car Stereo with Navigation with WiFi/Fast Boot/Backup Camera(NO DVD/CD)-GA2187: Electronics

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I received ans installed my roll of ESI Rok Block today. This will not only help keep water and dust from entering the bed area, it also solves the classic problem of getting stuff jammed down between the bed and tailgate.

It runs across the bed from edge to edge and seals the gap between the bed and tailgate.
IMG_20200707_142229 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

The seal conforms to the contours of the bed very well.

IMG_20200707_142238 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

There's kind if a seam embossed down the center of the Rok Block to help it fold when you close the tailgate. The instructions say it can fold either up or down. I helped it to fold down the first time I close the tailgate, and now it naturally closes int hat direction every time.

IMG_20200707_142252 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

It's pretty unobtrusive when closed and doesn't make the tailgate any more difficult to close.

IMG_20200707_142303 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

Overall, I'm pretty impressed. The kit came with alcohol prep pads and a pen full of adhesion promoter, plus used a LOT of pressure to bond it to the truck. I hope it lasts as well as the positive reviews I read.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was planning to add some graphics when I found the right Titan, but I really like the white and chrome look on this one. I think I'm going too skip auto clicker them, at least for now. My Miata has been through 4 different graphics setups before arriving at it's current look. Vinyl is cheap and fun to work with, so who knows...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Since my aftermarket tailights turned out to be crap, I decided to stick with the originals and upgrade the bulbs to LED. I was thinking about getting the chrome tail light bezels, but I was unsure if I'd like the look. Then, when I was leaving work last week, I saw a Titan in the parking lot that had the bezels installed. I really liked them! I went home to order some and found the best price was on Fleabay. (About $25, as opposed to $70 from the Evil Empire.) I got them last night and installed them. There were no instructions, but c'mon... clean the lights, peel the tape and stick 'em on. I was impressed that they came with real 3m tape around the entire perimeter. usually, when you get the cheaper accessories, you have to retape them to get a quality bond. Anyway, here they are:

IMG_20200709_202453 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

IMG_20200709_202508 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

IMG_20200709_202503 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

IMG_20200709_200752 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
The cluster surround and head unit both arrived today. I ordered the mounting kit and assorted wiring harness adapters, but they won't be here until late next week. Just for kicks, I did a quick mock-up too see how the screen will fit.

IMG_20200711_214542 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

IMG_20200711_214516 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

IMG_20200711_214528 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

IMG_20200711_214553 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

I'll be able to fine tune the fit after it's installed, as the screen is adjustable for height, as wells as up/down and right/left tilt. I'm looking forward to getting it fully installed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Part of the deal with this head unit are the included accessories... But they aren't included. You get a forward facing dash cam, back-up cam and OBD2 dongle, but you have to order them separately.

The explanation is that Amazon ships these items from different warehouses, blah, blah, blah... Anyway, this is the first snag I've hit with this unit (just a small annoyance, really). The seller emailed me the product link and a discount code for the back-up cam and the OBD2 dongle and said a third link and code for the dash cam would be forthcoming. The links and codes from the first email didn't work. I contacted them and they emailed and they sent me new links and codes. These worked, but not completely. The discount codes left an amount of $2.71 and $2.49, respectively, for me to pay for the dash cam and backup camera. Not a huge deal, but still annoying. I still haven't gotten the link and code for the dash cam, so I emailed them again this morning. Hopefully, I'll get that code soon so I can get all the pieces of this puzzle together. I want to do the install all at one time, not piecemeal.

To their credit, they have been quite responsive to my e-mails and I whoever is typing them actually writes very clear and understandable English. I understand that snags happen and, especially right now with COVID, anything that has to be imported is moving slow. I manage a Best Buy store, so may patience and understanding with this sort of thing is probably higher than average. Getting all bent out of shape doesn't accomplish anything other than making the person you're asking for help NOT want to help you!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
The accessories, once I get them, look to be pretty cool!

The back-up camera:

It's nice and compact. Should fit up in the tailgate handle area for a stealthy installation. It's waterproof, has a 120 degree field of view, and has the reverse guide lines.

The OBD2 scanner:

Meh, what can I say? It's a bluetooth OBD2 scanner. If you've every played with one of these you know how cool it is to have access to all of your car's data at your fingertips. But that's really all about the app you use. I have Torque Pro. Don't be a cheap-***... Pay for the full version and you'll never regret it. The only real differentiators for these can tools are reliability (won't know that until I've had it for awhile), strength of the Bluetooth signal (same thing), and whether it powers down when the car is off or keeps using power when you're parked (that only matters if you have a weak battery or leave your car parked for weeks at a time).

Finally, the dash cam: (This is the piece I have yet to get ordered)

It's 720p, so nothing special as far as resolution. It does have a slot for an on-board microSD card, so you don;t use up the head unit's memory for recording. It has built-in Driver Assist features such as lane departure warning and collision warning. I'm intrigued to see how well those work. 30 FPS, loop recording, file locking, time and GPS stamps. Overall, it's pretty full-featured, but nothing that stands out above other similar cams.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts