Nissan Titan Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SL, Texas Edition, Big Tow, Blizzard white, Tastefully modded (in my own expert opinion, lol)!
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I got what should be the last two pieces of the puzzle. The steering wheel interface and the part that allows me to keep the factory bluetooth controls. I'm not sure if I really need that last piece, but I'd rather have it and not need it than have to delay the installation. I'm planning on doing thee installation this weekend.

IMG_20200721_201902 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

·
Registered
2012 SL, Texas Edition, Big Tow, Blizzard white, Tastefully modded (in my own expert opinion, lol)!
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I'm planning on doing the radio install this weekend. The only real negative with getting rid of the RF system is that some of the "advanced features" like speed sensitive wipers, door re-lock time, and headlight auto-off time delay are all controlled through the factory head unit. I'm assuming that I will need to set those features how I want them, and then they will be locked at those settings when I change the head unit. I strongly doubt that I will be able to access the menus to make any adjustments through the new Android head unit. While that is a (very) little bit of a bother, I imagine most don't adjust those settings frequently, anyway. I think it's a pretty small trade off for all of the features I'll be adding with the new unit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
I spent the last 2 days cleaning and reorganizing my garage. Then I finally got started on the stereo install today.

First, I got the harnesses wired up, as well as the radio connections for the steering wheel control interface. unfortunately, the included screws are too short for me to mount the radio to the mounting kit, so I'll have to find slightly longer one tomorrow.

Next, I started yanking out all the original equipment. Since I'm replacing the full center cluster surround, it took more disassembly than if I was just replacing a standard radio. I had remove the trim around the storage bucket in the center console and the shifter. That gave me the chance to replace the failing bulb that illuminates the shifter position markers. Off came the original radio/climate control face plate. Damn, there are a LOT of plugs to remove from that piece! Then I had to take off the glove box and it's housing and the kick plate under the steering wheel. That let me finally remove the center cluster surround. After that, I pulled the 6 CD changer, stereo, GPS unit and the display screen (lots more plugs!). It's kind of funny how many components it took in 2012 to do less that what a single head unit can do in 2020.

After all of that, I needed switch over some of the components to the new face plate and surround. Those included the row of switches at the bottom (plus my new dual USB plug), the blank plate where the 4WD switch would go on a 4X4, the climate controls, and the air bag decal. On the dual USB plug, I ran the USB extension cable up to the head unit location, then wired up the charging port to power and ground. Finally, I plugged in the climate controls and reinstalled the glove box and kick plate.

That's it for tonight. I know it reads like a short bit of work, but it actually took a fair amount of time. I was going slow, learning where things are under the skin of the interior and making plans for the next steps.
Before:
IMG9582241 by Rex Keely, on Flickr
After:
IMG_20200729_222202 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

It all looks very normal, which I consider a success. Hopefully, I'll get the time to install the radio tomorrow. I'll probably wait to install the front and rear cameras another time. Those will be projects in and of themselves. I know the woodgrain around the shifter is going to bug the hell outta me. I'm going to have to find a replacement that is the "lower end" silver to match the new stereo/climate control face plate. I kinda think Nissan's "woodgrain" looks like crap, anyway. Plus, Nissan only added woodgrain in the center of the dash, with no other bits (like on the steering wheel or doors) to make it fell integrated. Who knows, maybe I'll add my own woodgrain dash kit later on.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Okay... I'm not done, but I'm done for today.

Here's what I got done:
  • Got the stereo hooked up and mounted.*
  • Hooked up both USB inputs.
  • Got the Steering Wheel Control interface wired up.*
  • Got everything put back together enough to go to work tomorrow.
Here's what I have left to do:
  • Hook up and decide where to mount the WIFI & GPS antennae
  • Run the wire for the remote microphone
  • Hook up the front and rear cameras
  • *Get the damned SWC interface to work correctly
  • * See if i can get it to mount a little deeper into the dash
Thankfully, there is a lot of open space inside the Titan's dash, because there is a crap-ton of wiring harness that has to be stuffed back in there. I can certainly understand why many would pay to have this job done professionally. I'm just too cheap, stubborn and impatient to wait for an appointment (even though I can get it done for damn near free, lol!) I'l have my Installer double check my work when he gets back from his vacation.

Sound:
  • It sounds okay right now. My right dash speaker is blown right now, so it'll sound better in a few days when I receive the replacement and get it mounted.
  • I Viunhooked the front center speaker based on advice I read on this forum. I might plug it back in, though. When using the bluetooth for phone calls, most of the sound is directed to that speaker, so right now phone calls are barely audible. That impression may change when I replace the blown dash speaker, so we'll have to wait and see.
  • This head unit has a DSP built in that allows an amazing amount of sound customizing. I'll play with it a bit after I get all the speakers installed.
  • I haven't verified 100%, but I think the RF subwoofer isn't working now. That kind of makes sense, since there are outputs on the stereo for Front R/L, Rear R/L and Subwoofer, but there was no place on the Metra wiring harness adapter to hook up the subwoofer. Oh well, the RF subwoofer sucks anyway. I have a Kicker Hideaway HS8 that I bought for another project and never used. It can't be any worse than the RF sub and it would be very easy to hook up in the same location.
Visuals:
  • The display is gorgeous! Light years ahead of the old display. (Plus it's not all scratched up, lol!) 10.1 inches of screen is a major improvement.
  • The unit sticks out of the dash a little more than I would prefer. This is a give/take situation, as that extra distance gives you enough room to tilt the screen. It tilts to adjust up/down and right/left. If it sat flush to the dash, you wouldn't be able to do that; you'd have to keep the screen flat to the dash. So this might just be a function over form kinda of thing. It actually looks really nice from the driver's seat. It just looks a bit weird from the other side, I'll have to decide if it bugs me enough to do anything about it.
  • The display is also height adjustable. I have it set about 1 notch down from the highest setting. I like that I don;t have to look way down to see it, but it doesn't stick up into my line of sight while driving.
  • The color of the controls on the right side bezel can be adjusted. It was pretty easy for me to match the orange of the other lighting on my Titan's dash.
What you all care about... pictures!

Radio tuner
IMG_20200730_173142 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

Sound control panel
IMG_20200730_173203 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

Adjusting for driver position
IMG_20200730_173211 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

Adjusting color to match the instruments
IMG_20200730_173638 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

Lowest height setting
IMG_20200730_183248 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

Highest setting
IMG_20200730_183302 by Rex Keely, on Flickr

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #85

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #87

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I received my second dash replacement speaker today and popped it into place. This is kind of a mixed blessing... It sounds WAY better now that I have functional dash speakers on both sides of the truck. However, now that I've spent $25 each to replace both dash speakers, I've decided that I really want to forego the RF speaker system entirely and just replace the whole shebang. Let's face it, the RF system Nissan put in these truck is utter crap, top to bottom. No matter what I do to this system, anything short of replacing it will fall short of even being decent, much less good. So, I guess I'm going to be buying new 6x9s for the front doors and 6.5s for the rear. I already have and amplified Kicker Hideaway subwoofer to replace the rattly RF pos under the driver's seat and a good amp to drive the new door speakers. In the end, I know I'll be much happier with all new speakers. I guess I'll just have a brand new pair of dash speakers to offer up on Fleabay.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I also received my Marco Hurricane air horn. If you recall from an earlier post in my thread, I already replaced the anemic OEM horns with a Marco Tornado. The Tornado is a dual-tone (520/660 Hz) air horn that puts out 150dB and 151dB respectively. It's loud as hell, but the overall tone is a bit higher than I like. The Tornado is a low tone (310 Hz) air horn that cranks out 120dB. Together, they should sound like a freight train... an angry freight train! My goal is to have other drivers involuntarily pee themselves if I honk my horns, lol!

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 2006 Nissan Titan SE (sold)
46 Posts
lol, wow I got tired just going through your journey on here. I actually considered doing some of what you're doing with the red 06 that I had. The muffler delete that I did was probably one of the better mods, but LED headlights was also a good mod. Good work on cranking out those upgrades. I'm looking forward to any performance mods. That 5.6 is pretty stout.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I received my second dash replacement speaker today and popped it into place. This is kind of a mixed blessing... It sounds WAY better now that I have functional dash speakers on both sides of the truck. However, now that I've spent $25 each to replace both dash speakers, I've decided that I really want to forego the RF speaker system entirely and just replace the whole shebang. Let's face it, the RF system Nissan put in these truck is utter crap, top to bottom. No matter what I do to this system, anything short of replacing it will fall short of even being decent, much less good. So, I guess I'm going to be buying new 6x9s for the front doors and 6.5s for the rear. I already have and amplified Kicker Hideaway subwoofer to replace the rattly RF pos under the driver's seat and a good amp to drive the new door speakers. In the end, I know I'll be much happier with all new speakers. I guess I'll just have a brand new pair of dash speakers to offer up on Fleabay.
I guess this is one of those, "to each, his own" kind of things. I've never had an issue with the sound from my 2011 RF system, and I'm a bigtime music guy. It took a while to get it tuned just right and get the bass balanced against the treble and mids, along with faded correctly where it sounds good to the driver and the passengers (especially the rear seat passengers!), but after a lot of tinkering and tweaking, it really sounds very nice. My son is an amateur sound engineer of sorts and was impressed with what I could do with the RF system. I'll eventually probably replace the speakers, as they're starting to show their age, but I don't know that I'll ever need to replace the HU. Likely go with Infinity speakers, as we installed a set of those in my son's 2000 F150 to replace the OEM stuff, and boy did it change the sound in there. We had already upgraded from the OEM HU to a late model Kenwood with bluetooth music/phone, and added a powered sub under the rear seat (supercab truck), so it sounded pretty good with the OEM 5x8s, but when we swapped in the Infinitys, wow! Totally changed it up for the better. That truck will blow you away now.

Hope you are able to get your system to your liking. Everybody's ears are different, so I sort of understand why you and I see this system so differently. Just always puzzled me that some people are so underwhelmed by the RF system in factory trim. Wonder if there is that much variation in the sound quality from one truck to the next?

81 - 91 of 91 Posts