Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like the idea of the subs facing down so i can still put my gear bag back there when i go riding and so my dog won't tear the sub up, but do they sound any different. i saw that mtx thunderform has a box with two 10's for 319 and for around 130 more you can get an amp to go with it. has anyone used this set up. how would they sound with a stock hu. or do you think i should go with the tech12 setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,397 Posts
I can't comment on the thunderform, I have not heard one. I would be willing to bet that one of tech12's boxes will sound better though.

The up vs down fire is really listener preference. Tech12 likes the sound of the upfire better in the Titan. I am going with down fire for the same reasons you listed. I will be posting pics and my opinion once I get the box.

So, tech12 setup gets my vote.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,808 Posts
I went with a DF for those same reasons. Its a single 10" box that Tech 12 built for me. The cool thing is that if I want it facing up all I have to do is flip it over and now its an upfire box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,363 Posts
t22a80 said:
I went with a DF for those same reasons. Its a single 10" box that Tech 12 built for me. The cool thing is that if I want it facing up all I have to do is flip it over and now its an upfire box.
Have you tried it firing up? When I tested my setup I prefered the subs firing down.

BTW tech can make a downfire box too.

If you go with upfire you could have a grill made and the sub countersunk so you could still set stuff on top. My ported probox has the sub recessed and grill on top for example and fires up.

The other reason I likr downfire is you can more easily have the box pressed against the seats to hold it in place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if i was to go with only one 10 i would put it facing up under the single seat. but i think i want two 10's. i didn't know tech12 made downward facing boxes. i think when i sell my old bike i'll give tech12 a call. thanks for the info.
 

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
Mtx box is an expensive piece of plastic. Its similar to the stealth but not built nearly as well. Mtx is huge speaker manufacturer you would be suprized at just how many subs are built in the mitek facility. But there boxes are crap.
 

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
2,981 Posts
I would have to recommend 2 Shallow Mount Fosgate P3's in a downfiring enclosure from tech12volt. I assure you the Thunderform/Bass Slammer will not compare.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,363 Posts
P-Dizzle said:
I would have to recommend 2 Shallow Mount Fosgate P3's in a downfiring enclosure from tech12volt. I assure you the Thunderform/Bass Slammer will not compare.
If you want louder cleaner bass for less money go with TC 1000's (or sound splinter subs cause they are the same thing with different cones), more powerhandeling, (they are under rated as I have 600 RMS to each in smaller box .6 cuft: power handeling in sealed enclosures also depends on the size of the box), more linear motor with more linear x-max work well in small enclosures as well (box size can vary quite a bit and they still deliver great sound). Leads are wooven into the spiders. I'd rather have 1 TC 10000 than the shallows in the titan, even if it is not quite as loud. VC Diameter does not matter much here because the Shallows will use amuch shorter coil and have reduced X-max which can limit them on low notes. It will smoke an MTX or JL Stealthbox in every way.

Ask RCANTU about his TC Sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
801 Posts
P-Dizzle said:
I would have to recommend 2 Shallow Mount Fosgate P3's in a downfiring enclosure from tech12volt. I assure you the Thunderform/Bass Slammer will not compare.
I squeezed to reg p3s in a box and they hit fricken hard...just my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I built a custom box for my last truck (ZR2) that looked good and was very functional. 2 10" subs firing up. Actually, the box was nothing special, but to protect my precious subs.... I used 2 flat metal grills to cover them, cut a trim plate that fit around the grills leaving a nice flat surface... then carpeted the whole thing.

The sound was awesome and the subs were well protected. I stored everything from groceries to riding gear back there. My dog rode in the back all the time... he liked it better since it raised him up where he could see better. I did this back in 2001 and it was still looking good and thumping nicely when I traded my ZR2 on a Titan recently. I've got some pics I took when I was building it, I'll try to post them up later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
I have 2 Polk Momo 10" subs facing up. They hit VERY hard, but I can adjust the gain or the controls on the 360.1 to turn the bass down. It is a very nice feature. The subs are 5.75" deep and I still had room to recess them into th ebox so the seat layed down perfectly. The box is custom built and forms to the seat.
 

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
2,981 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
If you want louder cleaner bass for less money go with TC 1000's (or sound splinter subs cause they are the same thing with different cones), more powerhandeling, (they are under rated as I have 600 RMS to each in smaller box .6 cuft: power handeling in sealed enclosures also depends on the size of the box), more linear motor with more linear x-max work well in small enclosures as well (box size can vary quite a bit and they still deliver great sound). Leads are wooven into the spiders. I'd rather have 1 TC 10000 than the shallows in the titan, even if it is not quite as loud. VC Diameter does not matter much here because the Shallows will use amuch shorter coil and have reduced X-max which can limit them on low notes. It will smoke an MTX or JL Stealthbox in every way.

Ask RCANTU about his TC Sub.
Justin, you wouldn't know a good sub if I wrote it on your forehead...
 

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
2,981 Posts
Wiscdave said:
I squeezed to reg p3s in a box and they hit fricken hard...just my .02

Yes P3's will fit. I recommend a shallow sub for downfiring though so you can give the sub adequate room from the floor. Especially with subs with this kind of excursion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
OK, here we go.

Plywood isn't a very good choice for a box, but I was concerned about particle board not holding up well in such a high wear area. To keep the echos down in the box, I sprayed the inside with rubber undercoating and used polyfill as well. Sounded great and was very functional.
 

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
JohnnyDangerously said:
OK, here we go.

Plywood isn't a very good choice for a box, but I was concerned about particle board not holding up well in such a high wear area. To keep the echos down in the box, I sprayed the inside with rubber undercoating and used polyfill as well. Sounded great and was very functional.
uhhh wheres the seat. I must have nissed something here. Let me go back and read from the start of this thread
 

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
tech12volt said:
uhhh wheres the seat. I must have nissed something here. Let me go back and read from the start of this thread
Ok i see its a cheby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
i will not go downfaceing subs again. reason being that i had some 8w6's faceing down and one day it started to sound like crap. so there i was looking under the box at the sub then i see all of the foam surround was busted. then i do some more looking a i see what happened a pin cap rolled under the opening and popped the speaker. after being here for a day or 2 tech12 built me a box for some 10s.. sounded better than the 8s and dont have to worry about pin caps....;....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,363 Posts
P-Dizzle said:
Justin, you wouldn't know a good sub if I wrote it on your forehead...
I would say the same to you recommending fosgates. Seriously man get of the POT. not having 4 inches does not seem to be a problem AT ALL for my TC's would they sound louder with 4 inches of clearance? Maybe, but they are still going to slam way harder than those fosgates without it!

have you ever heard a TC sub? Obviously not...

I have tried JL's, Ascendant Audio, and TC subs in my titan, and my triend has tried Arc Audio, ED, and others and we both ended up keeping the TC's because the Sound Quality is great and they make our heads rattle as well, and they don't cost a forture (cheaper than those fosgates because your just shelling out for the fosgate name *cough* many have already done this with the stock stereo.... I'm tired of hearing that I have no clue what I am talking about, people with more experience such as yourself should know better. Only shallow I would consider right now is JL's and thats only because it uses a uniquue design and has a 7" voice coil. I have not heard one but would love to. However it's not really needed to go with a shallow mount on the titan and is a waste IMO.

And for your info TC used to build the subs for SI that you so highly regard. Lets just say the Mag is very simlar to one of TC's subs. The BM is a bit more unique and would also be a great choice for the titan...

If you get the TC's you won't be disapoinnted. Are there better subs? Of course, TC 1000's are enty level TC Subs. I would say very comparable to W6's only they hit lower and fit in the titan.

As far as pens (pin caps?) rolling under the seats, this is my concern with downfire as well, but upfire would force me to keep my seats down all the time and limit some of the things I put into the truck, they both have advantages and disadvantages. I would consider upfire if someone could explain to me how they keep the box from sliding around without drilling holes into the floor, and if they could recess the subs enough to build a grill so i could still put things on top of the box if needed.

Even with a grill + upfire it might be best to leave dirty gear bags elsewhere. You can always put them in a trashbag and throw them on top of the seat :)
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top