Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 P4X has blown axle seals on both sides. Scouring the interwebs for parts, I found a website that sells a kit for $100, seal, bearing, and retainer. So $200 for both sides. Fair price at this point in time? The other option would be to purchase new axles, RockA could have them here in a few days $400 for both. I think I want to go the $200 route and pick up a press for the garage with the DIY savings. Anyone have experience with Skinny Pedal Racing or the "Nitro" branded parts, pictures claim Timken bearings...

·
Premium Member
74,270 Posts
Did you do the axle vent mod?

Reactions: ajef7885

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
5,877 Posts
i wonder what blew out the seals if you already have the mod? especially both at the same time? it will be interesting to find out what you see when you open everything up. it could be very informative for future people if you take pics of the vent mechanism showing how clogged it is when you take it apart, if it is clogged

·
Registered
2021 P4X
260 Posts
Don't cheap out on bearings. Buy a name brand. THK, Timken...ect.
Also get a price on oem. Sometimes they are about the same price.

Reactions: Tommy Bones

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't cheap out on bearings. Buy a name brand. THK, Timken...ect.
Also get a price on oem. Sometimes they are about the same price.
Welp, I ordered the set linked above. Arrives Saturday. In my search for bearings I found Summit was selling Nitro branded axles for $400+, hoping this set is good quality, I'll take some pics when it arrives.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was the actual vent mod done or did someone just replace the existing crappy vent?
There was an attempt at a mod with some rubber line and a fitting. The existing fitting (OEM?) is definitely smaller than the vent mod recommended, so that's on the list now.
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Bumper

Existing vent, dare say its clogged.
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive wheel system Gas

Figured I would add in the failing seals for gits and shiggles.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
that existing vent size is fine as long as it and the hose are free flowing.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
That bent nipple is not the OEM vent. It's either the Toyota or Nissan pattern you add when you do the vent mod. Bur it has been bent for some reason so verify it still flows air, and attach a hose to it. Odd that you have a tremendous fluid leak around it, though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that existing vent size is fine as long as it and the hose are free flowing.
Hose pulled off and was clear, it was only a foot and a half long and just tucked up on the frame rail. Going to pull the fitting and inspect, probably replace it with a larger barb I got laying around and run some longer hose per the DIY mod.

Not on this truck. o_O
Not on my truck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
That bent nipple is not the OEM vent. It's either the Toyota or Nissan pattern you add when you do the vent mod. Bur it has been bent for some reason so verify it still flows air, and attach a hose to it. Odd that you have a tremendous fluid leak around it, though.
Yeah the leak is a bit worrisome, the hose was not clamped and was "loose" on the fitting. I bought this truck a year ago, this is really the first I am getting around to working on it. It has been driven less than 1500 miles since purchased out of state. I haven't touched anything on this truck but replace the aftermarket wheels with '15 SL 20's so far, but the to-do list is a mile long. Soaking in some PB, waiting on the weekend and parts.

·
Registered
2021 P4X
260 Posts
Hose pulled off and was clear, it was only a foot and a half long and just tucked up on the frame rail. Going to pull the fitting and inspect, probably replace it with a larger barb I got laying around and run some longer hose per the DIY mod.

Not on my truck!
Sounds like moisture may have worked its way into your setup. Or maybe grit.

Reactions: Tommy Bones

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
There's a pretty good write up on here on the axle vent mod. Mine is routed like the write up, and terminates in a two-way fuel filter (no check valve) behind the passenger tail light. And since I'm a boat guy, I knew to use two hose clamps on any fitting below the waterline, so my vent nipple is clamped twice.

Reactions: ajef7885

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
747 Posts
Was there a little fuel filter or anything on the end of the hose??? I completely agree that some grit most likely found it’s way in and kaboom.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like moisture may have worked its way into your setup. Or maybe grit.
I feel like I am opening a can of worms that I do not want to open. I guess I could drain the diff and pull the cover and inspect while I am underneath it.

Was there a little fuel filter or anything on the end of the hose??? I completely agree that some grit most likely found it’s way in and kaboom.
Nothing. Just tucked into the frame rail.

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
747 Posts
I feel like I am opening a can of worms that I do not want to open. I guess I could drain the diff and pull the cover and inspect while I am underneath it.

Nothing. Just tucked into the frame rail.
Yeah that’s unfortunate… I don’t understand why someone would do 2/3 of the proper mod and then NOT put some type of filter to stop fluid/debris from running down the line. 🤦🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Yeah that’s unfortunate… I don’t understand why someone would do 2/3 of the proper mod and then NOT put some type of filter to stop fluid/debris from running down the line. 🤦🏼‍♂️
Right? A [email protected] job left my entire rear end hurting.
It wasn't as much of a vent as it was a road debris sampler, worked great.
Looks like we are doing seals, updated vent mod, rear end flush n' fill and crossing fingers along the way this weekend.
Natural material Gas Metal Electric blue Fluid
Wood Terrestrial animal Reptile Snout Sea snail

1 - 20 of 30 Posts