Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a one owner, very clean 04 Titan with 204,000 miles. Runs flawlessly. After driving it for almost 1000 miles the Service engine light comes on. P0430 code. I have read just about every thread on here about the p0430 code. I am sure it has the OEM exhaust manifolds. I have crawled under the truck with it running and cannot hear any exhaust leaks. I don't have the money to do the headers and B pipes. My question is, can I remove the B pipe and clean out the primary cat without removing the manifold? If I am able to do that, would the air/fuel sensor still function properly?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Swap your down stream sensors and see if it moves to the other side.
if it does move, your sensor is shot. if it doesn't, either your cats are shot or you have a hole somewhere.
204k? original cats? they've lived their lives.

make sure you swap connections too....I can't recall if the wires are long enough on the titan to reach the wrong one (even though it is obvious). on my VW three of the four O2/AF sensor plugs are right next to each other. many people have plugged the wrong downstream one into the wrong side and get very confused when the engine starts going crazy and misfiring.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had Discount Auto turn the SEL off. I've driven it about 20 miles with no return of the SEL. I will try to swap the down stream sensors.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had Discount Auto turn the SEL off. I've driven it about 20 miles with no return of the SEL. I will try to swap the down stream sensors.
you might go another 1000 miles before it turns on again, but it will turn on again, and with much faster frequency. also your mileage will drop as will your performance (like you go to floor it and your truck doesn't go above 2k rpm).

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
That's only if the cat is plugged, correct?

I was able to get both sensors broke loose. Now just to figure out how the plug works.
Not sure if you know this or not, but there is a special O2 sensor socket wrench which makes breaking them loose 1000x easier. I did not know that and nearly stripped one of mine out. I had this issue recently and it was indeed a bad downstream O2 Sensor. That was on my 2005 with 140k on it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
That's only if the cat is plugged, correct?
Mine were not plugged. but I needed to do my entire exhaust system anyways (and that was not fun, I have a thread called "How [email protected]#$ed am I")

I was able to get both sensors broke loose. Now just to figure out how the plug works.
Yeah the ones on the B pipes are way easier to break loose. It was my forward sensors that were shot. Yeah the downstream plug was pain compared to the upstream one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On a side note.
Just went for a little test drive.
I've never really gotten on her like I just did. She runs like a scalded ape. I can't see the cat/cats being clogged. The may not be at 100% efficiency, but far from clogged.

·
Registered
306 Posts
On a side note.
Just went for a little test drive.
I've never really gotten on her like I just did. She runs like a scalded ape. I can't see the cat/cats being clogged. The may not be at 100% efficiency, but far from clogged.
sweet.
now we wait....
if the code does pop up on the other side, get OEM/Bosch sensors. not that expensive compared to the cheap ones.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Did you replace the cam shaft sensor if so was it OEM. You replace O2 sensor on passenger rear right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
755 Posts
For me it was the down steeam O2 on passenger side. Just fyi, the OEM sensor is a Denso and rock auto has them for less than half of the dealer. Good luck keep us posted

Reactions: noel55

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Ok so swap the rear ones now. Last thing if that throws the same code is replace the sensor

·
Registered
755 Posts
To be honest, I got sick of throwing parts at it and paid the dealer a half hour labor to hook up the nissan scan tool and it showed the right rear was lazy. Replaced with denso from rock auto and light never came on and fuel economy went up. Just my .02

Reactions: noel55

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
To be honest, I got sick of throwing parts at it and paid the dealer a half hour labor to hook up the nissan scan tool and it showed the right rear was lazy. Replaced with denso from rock auto and light never came on and fuel economy went up. Just my .02
Exactly what I’m thinking right rear

1 - 20 of 45 Posts