Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed some cheap tubular steps when I got the truck. There is no chance for condensation to escape as the only openings are occupied by bolts or penny sized end caps.

Although I sprayed inside with fluid film upon assembly I had meant to get to drilling some weep holes.

Well 1.5 years later and today was the day.

Drivers side no water, passenger side provided a nice stream.

Steel steps (unless stainless) will absolutely rot from the inside out if there aren’t drainage holes.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Got down on the ground and looked and I don't see weep-hole 1 in the bottom of the OEM Titan step-rails.

The construction is in channels, and appears to be mostly plastic supported by a lightweight metal frame. That would be two plastic channels, and the channel comprised of the metal frame.

So if I'm correct it would take six holes per side to do the job. One in each of the separate channels, fore and aft on each side. IOW, three at the front and three at the rear of each channel on both sides.

I suppose one could get by with a single hole at the center of each channel, but that would be a matter of personal preference, and would be based on the assumption that the hole in the middle would be the lowest part of the rail.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got down on the ground and looked and I don't see weep-hole 1 in the bottom of the OEM Titan step-rails.

The construction is in channels, and appears to be mostly plastic supported by a lightweight metal frame. That would be two plastic channels, and the channel comprised of the metal frame.

So if I'm correct it would take six holes per side to do the job. One in each of the separate channels, fore and aft on each side. IOW, three at the front and three at the rear of each channel on both sides.

I suppose one could get by with a single hole at the center of each channel, but that would be a matter of personal preference, and would be based on the assumption that the hole in the middle would be the lowest part of the rail.
Technically it need not be in the bottom although it would be ideal. So long as there is some kind of opening to the atmosphere to reduce condensation and allow evaporation.

My steps were eBay or Amazon no names. They came with only a single hole in the center of each end cap and contains a fitted plug. So not only is it questionable steel, but sealed too.

Interesting the chambers. I doubt mine have that as I don’t see any deflections in the metal and they sound rather hollow/tinny. Actually thought to shoot some minimally expanding foam inside or stick a strip of sound deadener along the back.

I could drop a boroscope in but between the fluid film I sprayed in when new and now the weep holes I’m calling it good until I see breakthrough rot. Come to think of it the water ran extremely clear, no evidence of rust and it hadn’t rained for days. Fluid film is good stuff in cavities.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts