Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Titan / 72000 miles / regular maint / tow package /Two hours ago my rear axle assembly mangled itself due to u-joint failure and the drive shaft dropped out of the truck.

Has anyone hard of this? Any clues as to why this might have happened?
Love my truck but this could be permanent death.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I feel for you. It happens to some trucks. Mostly those with high pinion angles like lifted truck. I don't see how it could be the death for your truck. You can get an aftermarket diff. installed or just another diff from a junk yard. If you have a off-road package get an '06 or newer axle. They have a stronger spyder.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Did it break at the tail shaft or the rear end?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
dont mean to be an *** but would like to see pictures of this never heard anything like this before.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
u-joints can break, I have had this happen to me. Was it the front or rear u-joint??
I would have to see some pics, to tell you exactly how to proceed.
When the car I had at the time broke it's u-joint, it was in the front, and could have easily have caused me to have a major accident, but lucky for me I was go through my neighborhood at 25 mph!!

Good Luck! And pics, pics, pics please!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
It happens. I blame it on u-joints that don't have a grease fitting. Which is what is pretty much used on all new vehicles. Without being able to lube the u-joint, your stuck with the dab of grease applied by the mfg. for the duration of the life of the u-joint, which seems to be a short life span. I've already had one go bad on the front driveshaft in less then 40K, and know many others that have had bad u-joints on farely new trucks as well. Generally you should notice it being bad before it snaps and spits the driveshaft out the back though.

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
37L1 said:
This has been his one and only post.
Kinda makes you wonder.... :dunno:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts