Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 27000 happy kilometers on my 05 a small problem occured with a noise like a groan or a creak. In the beginning it could only be heard when I let off the gas or applied throttle gently such as when driving in a parking lot looking for a spot. It gradually got worse where I could reproduce the sound at will at any speed. I spent some time underneath and discovered one of the bolts that holds the transfer case isolation cushion to the crossmember was completely loose and the other was about half a turn loose. I jacked the transfer case a little so I could realign the bolt and threaded it back in. Presto noise is gone.

I found this forum informative and a search for a similar problem directed me to the possibility that this isolation cushion was cracked.

Other than that I look for excuses to drive this truck. I volunteer for road trips I am so satisfied. Pulls my car hauler with ease. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
HOLY CRAP, GOT MUCH SALT... I'm in a similar climate with similar salty results. Makes me want to puke when I see trucks from "down south" looking spotless.

I've seen similar threads with the same rattle/clank from the transfer bolts being loose. Nice catch!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
stupid question but transfer case is only on a 4wd right. I have a noise that sounds like a groan, sort of like the wheel turns but its not "lubricated"(not that it is supposed to) so it groans (errrr sound, dont know really how to describe it)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for this tip - I can confirm this is a recurring problem.
I have a 2005 Titan SE Offroad 4x4.
I had several dealerships and mechanics look at this to no avail.
After replacing shocks, ball joints still no luck.
After reading this thread - I checked the transfer case mount - and sure enough - the bolt was just dangling there with nothing to attach to.

Thanks so much guys.

Here is a hint guys - when the sound is made - from inside the cab - it sounds like it comes from the front end. But if you stand outside the truck and have someone else drive - it's clearly coming from under the driver's seat - under the truck.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Awesome. I will check mine tomorrow. Got the same type of noise, been getting worse....maybe this it the culprit!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
can we get more pics around the area and not just a close up of the screw?
Look under a 4x4 Titan and you'll see what people refer to as the tranny mount, just ahead of the front u-joint on the rear drive shaft. It's sandwiched between the transfer case and the cross member. On a 2wd it is the tranny mount.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See attached photos. It is a mount that is between the frame cross member and the transfer case immediately behind the transmission. One photo shows the view from the end of the transmission pan. The other is the view from the rear of the truck.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts