Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a 2007 No Fear Edition. 6inch lift with 34s, and I live in Hawaii. My driveway has litterly broke the front diff case,
and broken now 4 cv axles. I'm working on fixing driveway. I feel this problem is bc when the suspension articulates up or down with tension on it, it makes the cv axle pop out bc its just a tad to short and the cv axle case can't handle the tension.. But today I decided to do something crazy, I ordered a new cv axle, took the new one and extended 1/2 inch longer by cutting it in half, then cutting the old cv axle shaft 1/2 inch off
. Then welded it too the new shaft.
Took it for a drive up to 60 mph and no wobble and no grinding while turning. Went up the driveway towing a car in 4 wheel hi and didn't pop out or brake. We will see how long it last, I didnt do precision calculations when welding back together. Clearly some slag is in there but it was 9 pm and I was done. I will take it back out later and clean up. The shaft was straight but u never know with vibration and how much out of balance it is, how long it will last. Time will tell. I'll give it a week if it last that long and repost. I hope this help or give others idea to fix.

Attachments

Registered
I was wondering if you could put a thin spacer behind it before bolting it up but this works too. I had to replace mine on the drinker's side and it makes a pop noise now when backing up at full steering lock. It might also be the axle contacting my Radflow coilover. It has a little wobble because the lower mount bushing is cracked. I'll fix this when I have to do ball joints. There is almost zero clearance and I think they hit when the suspension flexes. Whatever the noise is, it's worse now with the replaced axle. I'm just gonna drive it until something breaks. Thinking about it stresses me out. It would be cool if someone with access to various cv axles could compare all of their sizes side-by-side. I'm wondering if the issue is due to machining tolerance quality control? My replacement is Autozone's finest parts which are usually 50/50 defective out of the box.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering if you could put a thin spacer behind it before bolting it up but this works too. I had to replace mine on the drinker's side and it makes a pop noise now when backing up at full steering lock. It might also be the axle contacting my Radflow coilover. It has a little wobble because the lower mount bushing is cracked. I'll fix this when I have to do ball joints. There is almost zero clearance and I think they hit when the suspension flexes. Whatever the noise is, it's worse now with the replaced axle. I'm just gonna drive it until something breaks. Thinking about it stresses me out. It would be cool if someone with access to various cv axles could compare all of their sizes side-by-side. I'm wondering if the issue is due to machining tolerance quality control? My replacement is Autozone's finest parts which are usually 50/50 defective out of the box.

Ya it's nerve racking for sure. Never know when it's going to brake. But at high speeds since I've posted, and even at low speeds. I've had no vibration, no clanking or contact at full turn while at max articulation. I'm looking at who manufactures these and see if I can't get them to make me a fresh one that is 1/2 longer. For the 3rd time now my weld broke. The good thing is it's not braking at the housing, I rewelded it even better today. So we will see how it goes. But I think this is a legit fix, and if I can get someone to make me a fresh one, this could help alot of people.

Registered
Try cutting out a piece of steel plate and getting longer bolts... maybe you can put a spacer in between when you bolt it back up? Then you won't have to weld. I'm pretty sure somebody can make you a custom axle. Pretty sure hot rodders get that done all the time. Trying to think of the cause... are your tie rods or ball joints worn or is your camber out of whack? Did you bend a control arm? It just seems like an odd issue. Was your truck ever wrecked or jumped? Lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try cutting out a piece of steel plate and getting longer bolts... maybe you can put a spacer in between when you bolt it back up? Then you won't have to weld. I'm pretty sure somebody can make you a custom axle. Pretty sure hot rodders get that done all the time. Trying to think of the cause... are your tie rods or ball joints worn or is your camber out of whack? Did you bend a control arm? It just seems like an odd issue. Was your truck ever wrecked or jumped? Lol

This seems to be a common issue with lifted titans, either the cv axle itself pops out or the connecting shaft to the diff gets pulled out. I got the truck used, it had been in a wreck and that could be part of the issue. But this seems to be common on 1st gen titan

Registered
Ya it's nerve racking for sure. Never know when it's going to brake. But at high speeds since I've posted, and even at low speeds. I've had no vibration, no clanking or contact at full turn while at max articulation. I'm looking at who manufactures these and see if I can't get them to make me a fresh one that is 1/2 longer. For the 3rd time now my weld broke. The good thing is it's not braking at the housing, I rewelded it even better today. So we will see how it goes. But I think this is a legit fix, and if I can get someone to make me a fresh one, this could help alot of people.

Registered
Usually don't share my opinions! Just looked to see what useful information I may find on this forum. Since buying my first Titan! But I couldn't resist being a certified welder for over thirty years, an instructor and a certified weld inspector.

1. What weld process was used?
2. Your bevels and prep-work looked very shoty for a precision part under tremendous stress.
3. Was the weld zone tested in any way?
4. Or stress relieved to strengthen the fix!

Your weld broke three times! Without being hypocritical here, there are certain tasks I would never try to tackle. As a certified welder and CWI! I'm sure the CV Axles are engineered. Just like a frame is structural! Meaning your don't f#@k with it! A legit fix would be to have it done by a competent person. This ain't like welding in a muffler my man........

Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
i was going to say that won't last. we tried that on a golf cart and they broke so i know it won't hold on an automobile. i understand why you tried it because we tried it on that golf cart. the way we got ours to hold was cut it and sleeve it. we welded the shaft then welded a sleeve in place around it. then it didn't break on the golf cart. not saying it will work on a truck but it worked on the golf cart

Registered
Come on dude! Golf carts are a dime a dozen! You couldn't find a axle at a junkyard or buy a new one. Your fix may hold for a little while, but why risk your safety, passengers and possibly others. Dissimilar metals rot quickly! Anytime you add heat to metal through the welding process your changing the property of the metal. That's why there's procedures in welding. Certain protocols that must be adhered to! Read alot of threads on here! Kinda laughed at all self-indulgent skill set claims on here. Jacks of all trades masters of none! I can see sleeving a golf cart axle to maybe get you through the weekend. As a temporary fix until you can get it repaired properly, but a permanent fix. I don't think so!!!!

Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
That's why I said it worked on a golf cart and welding it wouldn't work on a truck.

So you are a welder and welder inspector doesn't mean talk down to people. Sometimes when people write things, what they mean and what you read can be two different things.

Maybe you don't mean to be a jerk but some of your comments sure seem that way. Self indulgent skills sets and jack of all, master of none.

I know this guy welding his axle might upset a welding inspector but he has broken a few and might be short on money and might need his truck for work. Sometimes people have to do things to get through till next pay day that other people don't have to do. He might not be a welder or an inspector so he or I or the other guys might not make the money you make to just buy axles left and right.

I know you probably didn't mean to sound like that but writing doesn't show the other side of communication, human expression. You might have said that incredulously and really showed you were being rude but you could also have been saying it with concern for him and others safety's as you mentioned.

It's all how it's read.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

That's a great idea. I'll totally figure something out with the spacer idea.

Registered
That's why I said it worked on a golf cart and welding it wouldn't work on a truck.

So you are a welder and welder inspector doesn't mean talk down to people. Sometimes when people write things, what they mean and what you read can be two different things.

Maybe you don't mean to be a jerk but some of your comments sure seem that way. Self indulgent skills sets and jack of all, master of none.

I know this guy welding his axle might upset a welding inspector but he has broken a few and might be short on money and might need his truck for work. Sometimes people have to do things to get through till next pay day that other people don't have to do. He might not be a welder or an inspector so he or I or the other guys might not make the money you make to just buy axles left and right.

I know you probably didn't mean to sound like that but writing doesn't show the other side of communication, human expression. You might have said that incredulously and really showed you were being rude but you could also have been saying it with concern for him and others safety's as you mentioned.

It's all how it's read.
To keep this somewhat short! I guarantee neither Nissan or the manufacturer of the CV axle would warrant this repair. Nor would it be protected under Moss Act. Which protects a consumers against enhanced aftermarket accessories. Especially, on a three ton plus piece of equipment that may wreck havoc upon the public. Most state's have inspections and regulations that must be adhered to. I know this is America, but no one's freedoms supercede anyone else's. It's one thing to gerry-rig a repair on a little golf cart. But it is entirely another to alter stability and control functions of a licensed vehicle.

Registered
To keep this somewhat short! I guarantee neither Nissan or the manufacturer of the CV axle would warrant this repair. Nor would it be protected under Moss Act. Which protects a consumers against enhanced aftermarket accessories. Especially, on a three ton plus piece of equipment that may wreck havoc upon the public. Most state's have inspections and regulations that must be adhered to. I know this is America, but no one's freedoms supercede anyone else's. It's one thing to gerry-rig a repair on a little golf cart. But it is entirely another to alter stability and control functions of a licensed vehicle.
Also in my spare time! I looked at a bunch of threads on this forum. Came across a lot of your posts! Your pretty ballsy to scrutinize my my assessments on this Titan Forum. Especially, when your throwing out political jabs on a Titan truck site. Maybe those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.....

Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
yes sir. i say all kinds of crap about the dumbs and the crap they are trying to do. i am not scared to say they are idiots trying to ruin our country and stay in office because of lies and most of their supporters not really knowing anything but following what facebutt tells them to do. most, not all though. its like anything else, there are smart people everywhere but they get washed out by the brainless ones making their group, party, name, whatever look bad.

i am not saying to change what you say, just when people read it, they might not really read what you are trying to say because we are typing to each other. they might read it how they perceive it. same for me. i try and write stuff so it says what i wish to say and so it cannot be perceived incorrectly but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

and just for everyone to know, that axle sleeve we did on the golf cart was for the golf cart. that is not something i would say to do unless its an emergency. if you can get by driving in 2x4 while waiting for parts, i would do that instead of sleeving an axle because the truck can cause lots more damage and kill more people a lot faster than a golf cart

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i was going to say that won't last. we tried that on a golf cart and they broke so i know it won't hold on an automobile. i understand why you tried it because we tried it on that golf cart. the way we got ours to hold was cut it and sleeve it. we welded the shaft then welded a sleeve in place around it. then it didn't break on the golf cart. not saying it will work on a truck but it worked on the golf cart
I thought about the sleeve then
Usually don't share my opinions! Just looked to see what useful information I may find on this forum. Since buying my first Titan! But I couldn't resist being a certified welder for over thirty years, an instructor and a certified weld inspector.

2. Your bevels and prep-work looked very shoty for a precision part under tremendous stress.

Your weld broke three times! Without being hypocritical here, there are certain tasks I would never try to tackle. As a certified welder and CWI! I'm sure the CV Axles are engineered. Just like a frame is structural! Meaning your don't f#@k with it! A legit fix would be to have it done by a competent person. This ain't like welding in a muffler my man........
Well from the beginning of the post I stated I wasn't doing any kind if precision welding. I'm just using .30 Flux core wire. Probably not even the right kind of metal combination that should be used. But the initial brake was bc I didn't a terrible weld and didn't clean after each pass. The second time was a better weld but broke because of extreme force. This last weld should hold up better, as I took my time and cleaned after each pass. Turn the heat up for better penetration. Ofcourse this isn't a permanent fix. Just wantd to see if it would keep the acle from comming out. And it is, come to find out there are a few companies that make spacers. That would have been the better way to go. But again no vibration no problems so far.thanks for the comment.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought about using a sleeve on this last weld, but thought it would cause vibration or weight balance issue. So I didn't.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

It's all how it's read.
I appreciate ur comment, honestly I used to work with welders in the oil field, so his comment didn't really bother me. I'm just a diy welder. If holds it goes lol, I'm not a pro but not a amateur either. Each time my eld broke it was going up my driveway and under alot of tension. Each reweld was better than the next. It's so true, I have already bought to many axle and don't make alot of money and can't keep buying them. At least when my weld snaps I can fix it same day and get back on the road, which is what happen. To this may not be a perfect fix, but it's working and keepin me going. Ur comment is very much appreciated and we'll thought out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

The first time I welded and took it for a drive infront of my house, up to 60mph just incase anything were to happen no on would be involved. It held up, so I kept driving. For a few days it kept doing good. Then broke under stress going up my property with large load. It has only broken while going slow and under alot of stess. The high speed or low speed is not a factor it's the tension put on it while doing something in 4 wheel and towing alot of weight in reverse up my driveway or on my property. This last time I was in 4 wheel low and it took alot to snap it. I think this last weld I did is much better. And again is doing fine at high/low speeds. I appreciate ur comment, and understand where ur coming from. I used to work in the oil field and was a welder helper, saw how it should be done and what inspections look like. But ofcourse I'm on an island and in a remote part of it. So doing all of that isn't a option.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts