Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Nissan Titan 2WD with disc brakes. The driver side rear brake started binding yesterday (the caliper would squeeze the brake pads onto the rotor as if I were braking). So I inspected and figured it was the caliper itself (it looked really old and gunky, so I thought the piston/pin was getting stuck). I was wrong, I just got finished putting on a brand new caliper and it's still doing this. Could a bad ABS sensor cause this? I'm just trying to save some money b/c this seems like it should be an easy fix. Any ideas would help. thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Are you sure it is the brake pads binding and not the parking brake shoes? (you have to pull the rotor to look at the parking brake).

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Depends on what it looks like. You can replace both sides of the parking brake (shoes/springs/clips) for around $60 or so. Two shoes on each side and there is a parking brake hardware kit with the springs and clips. You can get all that from Rock Auto. They have a discount code in their section of the forum. To inspect, you need to remove caliper and then pull rotor. The parking brake needs to be off to pull the rotor because the brake shoes will clamp the rotor on.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-wheels-tires-brakes/124215-found-my-grinding-noise.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends on what it looks like. You can replace both sides of the parking brake (shoes/springs/clips) for around $60 or so. Two shoes on each side and there is a parking brake hardware kit with the springs and clips. You can get all that from Rock Auto. They have a discount code in their section of the forum. To inspect, you need to remove caliper and then pull rotor. The parking brake needs to be off to pull the rotor because the brake shoes will clamp the rotor on.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-wheels-tires-brakes/124215-found-my-grinding-noise.html
I'll pull the rotor tomorrow after work and hit you up with an update. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Instant replay of the other thread. The only issue is the toggle (the widget with the pivoting lever that engages the slotted end of the parking brake cable), I didn't see that in the pics at Rock Auto for the parking brake hardware kit. So if the toggle is boinked, you may need to buy that from Nissan. But otherwise, yeah, some cheap parts, muscle the one spring a little bit, and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Congratulations on fixing your problem. I have a similar problem, but with my front driver side brakes binding. I orginally had Stillen BBK, but the calipers keep locking. After spending $$ on a new caliper, the problem still existed. I decided to change out both front rotors with DBA's and reused the stock calipers. The brakes were awesome, but it was to good to be true, because after a week, the front driver side calipers binded again. Took it to the dealer and they could not solve the problem. They suggested the stainless steel brake cables be replaced to the OEM rubber brake lines.:ugh: They tested it again and said the front brakes were ok and that the driver rear brakes were binding. So I decided to purchase replacement calipers for both left and right rear brakes. Drove it for two days and bam!!!!, the front brakes started binding again. I pulled over and you can see smoke coming from the left front rotors. I dont know what else to do. Someone please help!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts