Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Pennsylvania and the other day it got pretty cold. I went to open the drivers side door and the latch wouldn't move. I pulled a little harder and the door opened but then it would not close.. The latch was stuck I'm assuming. After messing with it and shooting it with some WD-40 i got it to work. Yesterday same thing happened again only i was at work and had no tools or WD.. I drove home holding the door open. I called the Nissan dealer and there is a service bulletin about this problem. Apparently the cables freeze and won't allow the catch mechanism to return to the position to allow the door to re latch.. I'm taking it to the dealership on monday but in the meantime i''m getting in and out the passenger side. It works fine. According to the service manager there is a ton of parts that need to be ordered to fix this.. My Titan is an '05 with 14,700 miles on it.. I will be fixed under factory warranty.. Anyone else experience this?? Did you get it fixed?? Are you satisfied with the fix??

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
getsolone said:
I live in Pennsylvania and the other day it got pretty cold. I went to open the drivers side door and the latch wouldn't move. I pulled a little harder and the door opened but then it would not close.. The latch was stuck I'm assuming. After messing with it and shooting it with some WD-40 i got it to work. Yesterday same thing happened again only i was at work and had no tools or WD.. I drove home holding the door open. I called the Nissan dealer and there is a service bulletin about this problem. Apparently the cables freeze and won't allow the catch mechanism to return to the position to allow the door to re latch.. I'm taking it to the dealership on monday but in the meantime i''m getting in and out the passenger side. It works fine. According to the service manager there is a ton of parts that need to be ordered to fix this.. My Titan is an '05 with 14,700 miles on it.. I will be fixed under factory warranty.. Anyone else experience this?? Did you get it fixed?? Are you satisfied with the fix??
YES! It sucks... I don't know what's worse, not being able to get into the truck or not being able to close the doors. How this is not a recall, I have no idea. Some owners have had to bungee the doors closed, from the inside.

I've only had one door with this issue...so far. The dealer would not replace all the door mechanisms, only the one bad door. It's been fine since the replacement after two, somewhat cold, MN winters. The fix does work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my 04 titan. It is very frustrating but if you do get in it on the drivers side lock your door from the inside and it will latch shut and stay shut. The only problem is when you get back out and lock it you probably won't get back in until it warms up a little . I went to the store day after thanksgiving and got out of truck and when I went to get back in it I had to reach across from passenger side to lift up on handle to get back in. I'm taking mine in soon to get the problem fixed and hopefully a timing advance at the same time. It does suck when it is really cold out at 4 am when I am trying to go to work.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
There is a TSB for this issue, basically the dealer will replace the entire door lock/latch mechanism.

TSB number NTB05-118a

·
Registered
392 Posts
Are these technical service bulletins covered if the warranty has expired(04 with 31k)? Any one have any insight or experience getting ANY TSB's covered after warranty? Actually, after some thought, this will be a new topic to post in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I think you'll be hard pressed to get a TSB covered under warranty if you're outside the 3/36 basic warranty, however some dealers have covered items under warranty if you're just barely outside of it. Doesn't hurt to ask your local dealer, ultimately it's up to them and how far out of warranty you are.

Good luck!

·
Registered
250 Posts
i have an SE model with the floor shifter if i had to climb my fat ace over that thing i would break myself or something in the truck i would just still the wifes dang acura and take it to work make her climb in the truck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yahooligan said:
There is a TSB for this issue, basically the dealer will replace the entire door lock/latch mechanism.

TSB number NTB05-118a
thanks for the timely post as my drivers door has the same problem. it's still under the extended warranty..so perfect.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wow...I just had the same problem resurface the last few weeks. It happen all last winter, but me not wanting the hassle of dropping it off, etc. I dealt with it. Now this winter the truck just drop out of warranty and today I go to get into my truck.

The entire weekend it was about 18 - 28 degree with strong winds...so I go to get in this morning and neither door will open. I go to the passenger side because I have had better luck on that side in the past and guess what, this time the door handle broke off. I have a remote start so I had to go and find my factory key fob to get the windows to roll down to get in. Ridiculous...

Call the only dealer in town and of course they say they won't fix it because it is out of warranty. I will have to pay retail...

So I am in the same boat, if anyone has any advice or experience getting this thing fixed out of warranty, please post. For now I will just drive around with one door handle. I am not trying to pay what they are asking, they want over $300 in labor alone. I will just order the door handle from courtesy and replace that part myself, its about $18.

·
Registered
71 Posts
FreezyTitan

That sucks..I'm taking mine in this wed for the repair. Maybe you should get the service manual and give it a try yourself if you can't get it fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I have had the latch/lock mechanism replaced on every door in my crew cab twice under the TSB. Over this past weekend, my rear passenger door was frozen and had the same problem the rest of you are having. Once i opened it, I couldn't get it to close for about an hour.

I'm not convinced the TSB is the solution.

Problem is, I am now out of warranty. I may attempt to fix it myself this next time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
had my truck in for the fuel gauge and door issue today. they are going to replace the fuel sending unit.

rant begins here...i asked them "what about the door latch?". the guy says well we lubed it up blah blah and unless we can verify the problem then not much they can do. i asked what about if it is a known problem and a TSB exists, which i brought with me. he tells me they can't just replace stuff based on a TSB only because people would want things done for the hell of it. i asked does the customer word means anything and i told him that i had to open the DS door from the other side 3 times now and to me that means there is a problem, especially when it's backed up by a TSB. by the end of it he took the TSB number and i'm not sure if the parts are going to be ordered or not because i was irritated by this point. things ended on a good note, but i find it frustrating that they guy basically implied i had nothing better to do than inconvenience myself by bringing in my truck to get frivolous warranty work done. unfortunately i live in a small town and they don't even have a titan or armada on the lot so they prob don't have a lot of experience with titan issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's been -40 for the past few days, so I drive the wife to work. The driver's door didn't want to latch when I closed it, so I had to slam it a few times (wince). Our Maxima does the same thing in these temperatures.

So far, no problems getting in...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts