Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll try to keep this simple, but am curious if any of this makes sense. I inherited my father's truck, a 2008 Crewcab long bed LE 4x4. It was originally purchased pre-owned with around 18,000 miles on it from the original dealer and under warranty. My dad didn't drive it much and as of today it's got about 28,000 miles on it. About a year ago the dreaded e brake delaminated and jacked up the rear axle and my friend's shop replaced the axle as the splines were stripped. Not sure if that has any connection to the current issues but thought I'd add it.

I started feeling vibration on deceleration not long after but only got the truck into him like 2 months later. At this point I'm told that the carrier bearing is shot and had previously been replaced with a non factory part as the driveshaft is also custom. This is where I'm confused since my family never touched the driveshaft and it was under warranty for us and with the previous owner as well, so why would it have a custom one? Of course it's not under warranty now. The dealer said they had no record of ever touching anything driveshaft related. Also the truck was never lifted.

It's now been at his shop for 2 months. He apparently sent the shaft out to a custom driveshaft place to have a bearing made but they sat on it for weeks and couldn't find a bearing for this "custom" driveshaft. The only option is apparently to order a new driveshaft which adds $1,000+. The bearing apparently had to be cut off because it was so rusty. I'm pretty clueless but I looked all over this and other sites and couldn't find any stories about driveshaft failure or custom shafts. What would you do here? What questions would you ask?

·
Premium Member
72,892 Posts
Uncommon may be a better word. Custom, not likely.

·
Registered
‘11 CC Lwb
117 Posts
I found a thread on here that has a carrier bearing listed that works, but it’s not OE. I will try and find it as I didn’t save it and I will probably need that info in the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts