Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what size drop on a receiver hitch I will probably need.

Background info: I have a stock height 4x4 KC with the OEM hitch package installed. I will be towing a 16' enclosed cargo trailer with tandum axles. Its a standard featherlite trailer with a 2 5/16" ball size. I am renting so I don't have the luxury of measuring the height of the trailer. A 2" drop seems to be the standard drop, but it seems the Titan rides a little higher in the rear than other 1/2 tons. Also this trailer doesn't weigh much and I doubt we have more that 1500# of furniture and boxes to move.

Just wondering if anyone else has towed a similar trailer and what receiver drop would work the best.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Most trailers are right around 18" to the top of the ball...If you're not sure, you might want to go with a 3" drop, it's better if the tongue is a little too low, then too high...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
loufish said:
Most trailers are right around 18" to the top of the ball...If you're not sure, you might want to go with a 3" drop, it's better if the tongue is a little too low, then too high...
Thanks. I measured the top of my receiver hole and it was about 21", but my driveway is by no means level. Sounds like 3" is about the right height for me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
A 3" should be perfectly fine. You will want it a little higher on the tongue to compensate for the amount of weight the will be in the trailer, and anything in the truck, you don’t want the trailer to be level when there is nothing in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts