Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was on my way home Fri night, cruising along minding my own business... Jumped off my usual ramp and see a set of headlights coming up on me with a quickness... I roll to a stop at a fresh red as a newer body lowered Chev Silverado pulls along my left side... Light turns green, I start to roll and the guy in the Chevy honks and lights it up... I look left and see him waving forward, figuring he wants to run, so I wait for him to even up... As he pulls alongside, at a 10mph roll, I start giving three honks, but he jumps the gun at my second honk... so I had a half truck delay when I floor it... within the 1/4 mile (light to light) I end up pulling along side his truck and get a fender ahead of him before we both slow for the next red... I roll my window down and yell, "Again, go on green!" He gives me a thumbs up, as I hit two toggles to turn on my diff lock and brake mod... I stage at 1500 RPM's, and wait for the green... as the opposing lights turn yellow, waiting for our green, the guy takes off again, jumping the start once again... I launch my T as his rear bumper is at my front... With a quickness, I pull alongside, then overtake him without hesitation, getting a full length ahead of him (doing 70ish) before having to slow for the next red... As I stop at the next red, he pulls into the left turn lane... I look in his direction and he's not acknowledging me, so I give him a friendly brake torque, smoking both my rear tires as the light turns green and he makes his left turn and runs away... too bad he's a sore loser... Poor guy not just lost not once, but twice, to a lifted import... even when trying to jump the gun both times... :rofl: I'm gonna be looking for him again... :)

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Awesome kill man! Hey how much did the front bumper weigh? Do you remember? How about the pre-runner bumper?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DS... I was trying to get my I phone out before the second run but I wasn't quick enough... IIRC, I think the metal front bumper was around 50-60lbs when I shipped it, and my current bumper is around 40lbs of tubing... I'll tell you where my wt reduction was noticeable, was when I got rid of my metal bedsides, taking off the tailgate and rear tire... Tailgate and spare elimination is nice wt reduction, but I really didn't notice true wt difference until I did the bedside swap...

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Awesome kill man! Hey how much did the front bumper weigh? Do you remember? How about the pre-runner bumper?
My plastic bumper was no more than 20 lbs, it was very light, and my prerunner one is around 50lbs.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
LMAO, Funny story and awesome kill bro!!!

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Thanks DS... I was trying to get my I phone out before the second run but I wasn't quick enough... IIRC, I think the metal front bumper was around 50-60lbs when I shipped it, and my current bumper is around 40lbs of tubing... I'll tell you where my wt reduction was noticeable, was when I got rid of my metal bedsides, taking off the tailgate and rear tire... Tailgate and spare elimination is nice wt reduction, but I really didn't notice true wt difference until I did the bedside swap...
How much weight did you save on the bedside swap? How much are the new sides? Link?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do you have a write up on the bed side swap. i like the look of the trophy style. also, is it better to launch with the rear diff lock on rather then the 4wd
My build link is in my signature, everything to date, minus the electrical fan conversion... I've still gotta get some time to sit and write that up...

Nice kill man! What tire and gearing set up are you running?
I have OEM BT gears (3:36) w/ E-locker Mod... I havent gotten track proven, but definitely feel better launching in E-locked vs 4Hi... Hoping my schedule is clear later this month so I can run up to Sac w/ FL&TUG and fastfred... ;)

Good kill Star Scream!!
Why, thank you, Supreme Commander!!!

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much weight did you save on the bedside swap? How much are the new sides? Link?
I'm really not sure, but I remember that carrying it off, I noticed that the interior metal panels have fabri-board reinforcement, so that's where the weight is at... If you remove your plastic wheel well covers, you should be able to shine a light up there and see the fabri-board stuff I'm talking about....

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I'm really not sure, but I remember that carrying it off, I noticed that the interior metal panels have fabri-board reinforcement, so that's where the weight is at... If you remove your plastic wheel well covers, you should be able to shine a light up there and see the fabri-board stuff I'm talking about....
Would it be possible to get the fabri board out and then re-install the bed sides?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Would it be possible to get the fabri board out and then re-install the bed sides?
I don't think so... It's glued on pretty good... In fact, it stunk really bad while I was cutting through it so I have a feeling there is some major industrial strength epoxy or glue stuff used to keep the stuff on... :(

cool man thanks. i was still wondering is it more effective to launch with the rear diff rather then 4wd?
I imagine it might be slightly better because there's less load on the entire driveline since the transfer / front diff isn't engaged, but will not know until I get some real track times in...

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:rofl: prob true too... it's been a week and I haven't been able to track it down again... I ran across him within a mile of my neighborhood and the time of night that we ran, only the people that live in the area, or their visitors, really drive on that particular road... or he's just avoiding my obvious Titan whenever he spots me... :rofl:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts