Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey bruthas...

Been doing some research into lowering the rear of the truck.
Is there any benefits of using lowering shackles vs removing a leaf spring? I know by removing a leaf, towing capacity is decreased. Anyting else to be aware of?
I am leaning towards 2" drop shackles being the factory shackles are junk.

Thoughts? Preferences? PICTURES?!?:eyebrow:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I would use the drop shackles if it was my truck so you can still tow and carry a decent payload. And the fact that the stock shackles are junk, I would want to replace them anyways.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Well, PRG variable ht shackles would be the best option, (stock, 1", or 2" drop), however as long as you do not haul extra heavy stuff or tow anything monstrous, I would just start with the removal of the overload leaf (bottom flat one) and that'll give you an inch drop... If you want more, then add the variable drop shackles... Removing overload costs $0...

·
Registered
384 Posts
I read some where on here to pull the 3rd leaf from the top.....

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I read some where on here to pull the 3rd leaf from the top.....
I'm sure you could, but the curved leaves are your load bearing leaves... It'll only lower prob .5" and prob "soften" the rear end (allow more sag as well)... The optimal leaf to pull would be the overload because it is thick and does nothing but keep the curved leaves from full collapse under heavy loads...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Here's whats going to go down......you will say "eh hell I will just do some shackles and be good." Then you will get up from your installation and say....."it's not really what I had expected." The shackles give .5-.75'' drop on average. If you don't haul heavy, then remove a leaf. I would suggest you get the improved shackles regardless. The OEM ones are cheap and fail. All this is coming from experience.

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Remove the 3rd leaf from the top. Use the beefy PRG shackles at the lowest setting and throw in some RAS. that would achieve what your looking for 619.

I load between 500-1000 lbs. in the bed with no problem. I also tow with very little droop. Here's some pics.

View attachment 117265
Leveled..Some bigger rims and lower profile
tires would fill the gap better.
View attachment 117267
Roadmaster Active Suspension MK11-XXF
View attachment 117268
RAS mounted with the 3rd leaf removed..
View attachment 117269
PRG shackle at the lowest setting..
View attachment 117270
PRG shackle...

The RAS does add lift, but can be adjusted for load or looks. The combo rides and handles alot better than stock.

L

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yea do both the leaf mod and the prg shackles. If you do just shackles or just the leaf mod it will still sit higher in the rear.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
Mine still sit's higher in the rear w/ just drop shackles.

·
Registered
318 Posts
What about a flip kit

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So RAS gives me the option to stiffin the rear when needed to compensate for the removed spring? Any other benefits besides that?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
So RAS gives me the option to stiffin the rear when needed to compensate for the removed spring? Any other benefits besides that?
Nope... That's why I recommend PRG variable ht shackles (1" drop) plus just to pull the flat overload leaf, (+1" drop) still being able to haul and tow... Again, your 3 curved leaf springs are the "muscle" of the rear leaf pack, leave them alone and lose the overload leaf. The only way your remaining leaf pack will fail is if you overload the heck outta your bed or tow something you shouldn't anyways...
...but going the RAS route is also good if you have the $ to spend... If you are further worried of sag, you could also bag it (more $$)...or another feasible option would be to get the C10 Deaver pack to replace both the third and overload leaf altogether (again, more $$$)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope... That's why I recommend just to pull the flat overload leaf, wanna drop 2", still being able to haul and tow... Again, your 3 leaves are the "muscle" of the rear leaf pack, leave them alone and lose the overload leaf (.75"-1" drop). The only way your remaining leaf pack will fail is if you overload the heck outta your bed or tow something you shouldn't anyways... If you are further worried of sag, bag it...
Or another feasible option would be to get the C10 Deaver pack to replace both the third and overload leaf altogether... but that's more $$$...
sweet. If i remove the overload leaf and install the drop shackles, i can expect about a 2" drop? Nickw619 mentioned something about a pin and the overload leaf. Tell me what i need to know...or do i just remove it n call it good??

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
sweet. If i remove the overload leaf and install the drop shackles, i can expect about a 2" drop? Nickw619 mentioned something about a pin and the overload leaf. Tell me what i need to know...or do i just remove it n call it good??
Nick's talking about the center bolt in the middle of the leaf pack. After you release the tension and remove the shackles, release the leaf packs from the axle (U bolts). Once the leaf pack is released from the axle, there is a bolt (pin) through the entire leaf pack, look for nut on top of the leaf pack, in the middle of the leaves. Remove that nut and pull the bolt out from below the leaf pack, that will allow you to remove the overload leaf. Place it back through the curve leaves and reset it, then replace the nut and tighten down... You can also use a new shorter bolt and nut in place of that one if you want since the threads might not be low enough on the OEM leaf pack bolt aka: "pin". If you wanna remove the curved 3rd leaf, you'll need to do all the same plus get C clamps to hold the other two leaves together while releasing the leaf pack clips on both sides... shackle swap is a piece of cake... Leaf removal is more labor intensive but pretty simple as well, take your time and make sure there is no tension in the leaf pack and you'll be fine...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nick's talking about the center bolt in the middle of the leaf pack. After you release the tension and remove the shackles, release the leaf packs from the axle (U bolts). Once the leaf pack is released from the axle, there is a bolt (pin) through the entire leaf pack, look for nut on top of the leaf pack, in the middle of the leaves. Remove that nut and pull the bolt out from below the leaf pack, that will allow you to remove the overload leaf. Place it back through the curve leaves and reset it, then replace the nut and tighten down... You can also use a new shorter bolt and nut in place of that one if you want since the threads might not be low enough on the OEM leaf pack bolt aka: "pin". If you wanna remove the curved 3rd leaf, you'll need to do all the same plus get C clamps to hold the other two leaves together while releasing the leaf pack clips on both sides... shackle swap is a piece of cake... Leaf removal is more labor intensive but pretty simple as well, take your time and make sure there is no tension in the leaf pack and you'll be fine...
Right on. Hope to drop it this weekend. I have to rent a spring compressor for the front to remove the leveling kit and find the drop shackles here locally. I plan to only remove the overload leaf. Gettin her ready for SS....dont let the wifey know!! (covert op's):eyebrow:

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Right on. Hope to drop it this weekend. I have to rent a spring compressor for the front to remove the leveling kit and find the drop shackles here locally. I plan to only remove the overload leaf. Gettin her ready for SS....dont let the wifey know!! (covert op's):eyebrow:
Sounds like you're gonna have a fun wrenching weekend... How you gonna hide that from the wifey? I have no idea... :rofl: Just make sure you have two jack stands and at least one floor jack for the rear end... Crank the rear up, set the frame on jack stands, then lower the pumpkin slowly to release tension on the shackle and rear leafs to take off the shackles, then with the shackles off, do the leafs, then reverse it all... One time drop, disassembly, and reassembly... Oh yeah, make sure you pay attention to the brake lines too, hate to see ya drop the axle too low and snap one of those...

·
Registered
555 Posts
I removed the 3rd leaf only and my rear sits slightly lower than the front. I still have stock shackles. I have 305/45/22 tires and they fill the gap nicely.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
hey i might be gettin rid of my drop shackles soon... gotta figure out this rear suspension thing first

1 - 20 of 56 Posts