Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 CC SE non-big tow. As far as I know the only difference between the big-tow and non big tow are the gears. Is that right? So my question is what can I realistically and comfortably tow with my Titan? Door panel says somewhere around 7000lbs if I remember correctly. I was at a camper show recently and I'd like to get an idea of what sort of dry weight and tongue weight I should be looking at. My first guess is somewhere around 6000lb dry weight. What do you think?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not sure of what the 2010 max tow weight specs are, but my '06 with the tow package is 9,500 lb. BUT, that is not really the number you need to consider when choosing a trailer. The areas of concern are 1) Vehicle Gross Weight Rating (VGWR), 2) Vehicle axle weight ratings, aqnd 3) Combined Gross Weight Rating (CGWR).

First, figure out what just your truck itself will weight when you are towing, and this includes all people, gas, and gear in the bed of the truck, this is your actual vehicle weight (AVW). Subtract that number from your trucks VGWR, and that result is what you have left for tounge weight of the loaded trailer. Next, take you CGWR and subtract the AVW, this is the max loaded trailer weight you have left.

The final check is to ensure that you do not exceed the truck axel weight ratings when eveything is hooked up and ready to go, and that normally only is a concern on the rear axle.

Hope tis helps ypu, and happy camping to come.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
2010 Non big tow is 7300. Dry weight is calculated before any additional items on the trailer. They don't count awnings, LP tanks, or batteries. Then you have to figure all the stuff you put in the trailer - clothes, food, dishes, camping supplies, water, and the weight of everything else inside the truck besides you, it adds up quick. I would be looking for trailers in the 4500 to 5000 dry weight, that way youir not maxing out after putting everything inside. Tongue weight is 10%, so 730# max

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Dry weight includes anything that's not an accessory. So if there's an awning included, it's part of the dry weight. They don't don't include any liquids, propane or anything that didn't come with the trailer. Also, look at the weight label inside the kitchen cabinet. It's be truer than the one on the outside.
Non-tow equipped trucks are hampered really only by the higher gearing. I know folk towing full 9k LBS with non-tow Titans but I wouldn't. I would stick to something in the 6.5k or lower to be safe.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks. I was thinking I could probably push the weight limit pretty close to the max rating (7300), since the suspension and all other components (tranny cooler, etc, etc) can handle almost 10,000 lbs, the gearing being the only difference. Does anyone have an rough estimate of how much a "loaded trailer" weigh vs the cabinet sticker? I'm guessing maybe an additional 1000lbs at the most? I usually travel with empty water tanks so we are just talking gear and people and dogs. So I'm leaning towards a limit of 6500lbs of actual trailer weight and I think I'll be OK, yes?

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
That same sticker will give you the total weigh the trailer can handle which includes all your gear.. Most are far more than anyone will add in food, clothing etc...usually somewhere around 2k LBS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts