Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread are for the folks which purchased DT long tube headers and about to install them themselves.

Your experience, handy tricks that helped out etc.
Place to post ideas, documentation, and pictures. (yes, the search feature is there but this will get DT group moving along).

I've seen guides for 4x2, but not 4x4 installations. Any 4x4 takers would be helpful here as well.

Here is one thread which outlines a 4x2 installation.
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/88662-header-installation-how.html

Stillen long tube installation.
http://www.stillen.com/product_files/508560~inst.pdf

Here is a picture for the sequence in tightening the down the manifold.

Ring gaskets between the headers and B-pipes. Will require 2 rings.

GASKET-EXHAUST - Titan (A60) 2004+ :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

Please add to the list with any links, pictures, etc and I will try and update the first post with the links.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Thanks... i will be posting up pics and any tip i may have found during the install... i dont know when exactly i will be installing these... hopefully this weekend.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Great idea on starting this thread.

My suggestion:

A couple days before install, go to your local parts store(or walmart) and pick up some "PB Blast" or "Liquid Wrench" and start spraying down the studs/nuts that bolt the manifold onto the head and the manifold to the B-pipes. Do this several times throughout the day. It should help with the knuckle busting that you're in for!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
mine have progressed from the front yard to the back porch :D we call them lanai's here... I'm leaving for honolulu tonight to go fetch my wife an 07 expedition so when I come back tuesday having mine installed is on the top of my to do list :D gonna check a place today, but I'm thinking I wanna get ARP locking studs and new gasket... plus I'm supposed to be getting an 08 stock exhaust with a muffler swap while I'm there so I'll have that to install in two weeks :D

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Great idea on starting this thread.

My suggestion:

A couple days before install, go to your local parts store(or walmart) and pick up some "PB Blast" or "Liquid Wrench" and start spraying down the studs/nuts that bolt the manifold onto the head and the manifold to the B-pipes. Do this several times throughout the day. It should help with the knuckle busting that you're in for!

YES, and its much better if you do this for a week or around 3 days. LOL

you don't really need to torque since you can't really get a torque wrench in there... just tighten as much as possible... and in a few days or about 300 miles try and re-tighten them since the heat will lossen them up...

enjoy fellas!!!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
YES, and its much better if you do this for a week or around 3 days. LOL

you don't really need to torque since you can't really get a torque wrench in there... just tighten as much as possible... and in a few days or about 300 miles try and re-tighten them since the heat will lossen them up...

enjoy fellas!!!
The statment in BOLD goes for any install that you do on your truck's engine or suspension!

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put in the recommendations from the opinions of several mechanics and the torque patterns for tightening then down. My self and others will not be responsible if proper torque is not applied to each nut/bolt. Uneven tightening could cause a warped or stressed heads. If I'm wrong correct me.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to make this VERY CLEAR right now. If this thread goes south I will make sure its locked and deleted. This is a fair warning and I will not be subject to what happened to 04 in the other thread (Thank you again 04 for your hard efforts and work on the group buy). I will not tolerate this, period.

This is thread is to help the folks that have purchased and are doing the installs themselves. Its not to bash folks.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Which way is best to get to the bolts to spray them, from underneath, up top, or through the wheel wells? Also does the heat shield have to be removed to get at the bolts .or can it stay on?
If the heat shields have to be removed, how would I go about doing so?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which way is best to get to the bolts to spray them, from underneath or up top? Also does the heat shield have to be removed to get at the bolts .or can it stay on?
If the heat shields have to be removed, how would I go about doing so?

Will need to remove the fenderwell linings. They are attached by clips. Once removed you can remove the heat shields so you can spray the bolts.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
is it okay to run without the shields for a few days.. i wanted to spray in case i get to them this weekend but i might not be able to.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I would give more advice on the install if i did it myself.

With the headers on my truck, you can see all the goodies from the top of the engine bay. I posted pics of the headers from under the truck in the original thread and the bolts are nice and visible from below as well.

Here are the pics that i have from the bottom of the truck.. you can kind of see the bolts.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
those headers do look nice...

ya, you don't need those heat shields if your gonna remove the manifolds. i sprayed my bolts from the fenderwell area... you can see all the bolts, but you cant get the wrench in there the whole like that...

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'm Ready!!! ( as sponge-bob would say)
i didn't know which NUT BUSTER to buy... lol ( insert joke here)
should i have gotten the blue threadlocker instead of the red?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm going to make this VERY CLEAR right now. If this thread goes south I will make sure its locked and deleted. This is a fair warning and I will not be subject to what happened to 04 in the other thread (Thank you again 04 for your hard efforts and work on the group buy). I will not tolerate this, period.

This is thread is to help the folks that have purchased and are doing the installs themselves. Its not to bash folks.
OH! How will we share our install info if you lock it up or delete it?!!!:confused:

Reactions: WhiteNite

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
What size wrench do i need for the 02 sensors and do i need to spray those as well or is that not recommended
I'd say be careful with the AFR sensors.

If you are going to spray them, make sure you dont get the wires soaked. Just spray the threads as much as possible.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What size wrench do i need for the 02 sensors and do i need to spray those as well or is that not recommended
You can purchase an o2 sensor tool from you auto parts store. I picked one up for 11 bucks at Advance Auto Parts. The tool is designed so the wire slips in and with an open end. The ratchet will connect to the side.

Edited: Its says 22mm on the tool for the size.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts