Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well everyone, just as I suspected Nissan was sand bagging a little with their 305hp claims. I took my Truck to a Dyno Shop this morning in north Atlanta to have it tested. The guy did 6 pulls even though I was supposed to only get 3 because he couldn't believe his eyes. This thing ripped out a 256.1 hp and 300 lb.ft. of torque to the rear wheels!!!

The highest hp that was recorded was 258 but the torque on that pull was "only" 298. So he gave me the print out for the pull where the torque reached 300. He was amazed as I was. He said the highest reading he's seen from the Hemi's was 254 hp and 276 lb.ft. of torque.

Just click on the link I've attached below and go to the second page under the Titan pics. The graph is not the best quality but I'll replace it later on tonight when I get home and scan the print out he gave me. You'll notice a slight miss in the bar graph because his coil pick-up kept flickering in and out. Otherwise enjoy and I'll post pics of the truck on the dyno later on tonight as well. Comments are welcome!!

Oh yeah, and one more thing, by his calculations the engine is putting out close to 350hp at the crank using a 26% drive train loss factor!!! WoooHooooo

community.webshots.com/user/jetforeman

·
Registered
330 Posts
So in layman's terms the power I've been feeling is real!

By the way, mine is Silver also.

SE
4x4
off road
big tow
RF and bed pack
and kids got DVD and maybe I can use it on hunting trips.

How many miles do you have? and MPG so far?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a little over a thousand miles and have been getting about 17 with it. Overall I'm very pleased!!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really, I have to deal with the Atlanta traffic everyday so I think it can do better with an open road.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm still around 14 but I only drive 3miles to work. Country living can have its disadvantages. I am getting close to 1000 miles so hopefully my numbers will go up. 17 would be great!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your is a 4X4 too so I bet that's keeping your numbers down a bit. But 14 for all that power and 4X4 is awesome in my book!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey guys.... where do you think Nissan derived their numbers? What kind of hp and torque numbers do manufacturers typically quote?

.... I also wonder if that 26% drive train loss is a typical number your dyno guy sees in this type of vehicle?

Pretty darned interesting, thanks for the numbers.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He said with trucks he usually sees a 30% loss, of which he really thinks is the case with mine but we used 26% because that's what the Hemi's are "claiming".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coolhand said:
.... I also wonder if that 26% drive train loss is a typical number your dyno guy sees in this type of vehicle?
Coolhand sent me a link to this page, and I was wondering the same thing he was after reading this.

My experience with FWD and AWD *cars* is that 15% drivetrain loss is usual for FWD and 20% is usually used for AWD (again, cars). In the MINI COOPER community we have seen a standard drivetrain loss of 11% on the Stock COOPER S. Again, this is a small displacement (1.6L) forced induction four cylinder FWD, so it's not really applicable.

That said, it still make me wonder about the justification for using 26%, when if you assume Nissan stated the hp correctly you wind up with 19% drivetrain loss (305/256).

Dave

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This guy claimed the FWD's (Automatics) average about 18 to 21%, RWD cars average 22 to 24% and trucks usually show about a 30% loss because the the larger drive shafts, larger ring and pinions, hubs, etc. etc. I used to think 25% was an industry standard but he's been doing this for a long time. No matter how you look at it though, even if Nissan's numbers are spot on, then that would make the Hemi's 345 very over-inflated.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Food for thought..

The Mazda community has attacked Mazda twice over HP claims. First on a Miata and recently on the RX-8. Mazda seriously over estimated the HP. In the end thay had to offer rebates or take the cars back. I'll bet the smart manufacturers are UNDERestimating the HP claims now.

Tony B

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't know what the dyno results mean being that I am not familar with engine performance specs. Are the results good or bad? I do know that my new Titan hauls butt.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
robertc said:
I don't know what the dyno results mean being that I am not familar with engine performance specs. Are the results good or bad? I do know that my new Titan hauls butt.
Basically what those numbers show is the actual amount of horsepower that the Titans have at the rear wheels. The figures I got today are quite staggering when compared to Dodge's Hemi rear wheel horsepower with respect to what they claim the Hemi produces. Nissan - 305hp at the crank, 256 to the rear wheels. Dodge Hemi - 345hp at the crank, 255 to the rear wheels. As you can see we really don't know exactly how much horsepower is in either vehicle at the crank but we do at the rear wheels!!

Now, some of the possibilities for these discrepancies are:

1. Nissan is putting out 305hp, like claimed, and has a very efficient drive train to reduce losses.
2. Nissan has under estimated their HP figures.
3. Dodge has a very inefficient drive train.
4. Dodge has inflated their HP figures just to sell more trucks with the HEMI logo on it.

Who knows what the real story is, all I know is I'm real glad I bought a TITAN!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great thread guys, I appreciate the thoughtful, adult :) answers.

The look of the new Hemi Dodge is slowly growing on me, but I thought it was a little over the top how they marketed the crap out of the Hemi name, even though, and I may be wrong here, it's a dated engine concept. I think their target audience were mostly children (as I was) when the Hemi's ruled, so they probably know nothing about it, just that it was "good".

BTW - our Nissan dealer in North Austin also said that during the special dealer introduction to the Titan they matched it directly against the Hemi Dodge while both trucks were pulling mini-vans on trailers. He of course said the Titan kicked it's butt. I sure would like to see an independent evaluation of that test, with independent truck drivers. You think that would be such a huge marketing coup for Nissan that they'd advertise the hell out of it....

·
Registered
68 Posts
smith918 said:
In our training we compared the Titan with the Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. We put a car carrier behind both trucks with a Ford Taurus on them. Identical weight, size, and even color. Both trucks were side by side and drag raced. From the get go the Hemi didn't have a chance. The Titan won the quarter mile race by about 2 truck lengths. After seeing this and driving all the different trucks, I'm positive the Titan will blow away the competition.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah I saw that post, it must have been the standard presentation for new dealers. But still.... if that was for real, and sounds like it was, Nissan should be capitalizing on it with lots of media coverage.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts