Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to see if anyone knows a good dyno tuning place that can look the other way of me not having cats on my truck. The guy that was going to do my truck seems to be swamped after the SEMA Show and can't do it till next year. I'm hoping to have the truck done before Christmas for an off road trip.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Just curious, who were you going to originally?

I'd recommend Church Auto Testing in Wilmington or Specialty Z in Chatsworth.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim wolf from Jim wolf technologies suggested Church auto testing I have an appointment there for Tuesday!

A guy from here in Fontana at Westech was bringing a guy from Stillen that has built a few vk56 motors, were going to tune my truck. They were highly recommended from my friend that works for Super Chevy magazine, they seem like knowledgeable nice guys but we're super swamped with work.

·
Super Moderator
37,163 Posts
Church is where I went as well ...

Just pray for good numbers ... HA!

Reactions: Pro4xTim

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Jim wolf from Jim wolf technologies suggested Church auto testing I have an appointment there for Tuesday!

A guy from here in Fontana at Westech was bringing a guy from Stillen that has built a few vk56 motors, were going to tune my truck. They were highly recommended from my friend that works for Super Chevy magazine, they seem like knowledgeable nice guys but we're super swamped with work.
Cool, what performance mods do you have on your truck?

I was originally tuned at Specialty Z when I was lifted on 35s with headers. I'm currently tuned by Church Auto Testing, great experiences with both shops, professional and good at what they do!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, what performance mods do you have on your truck?

I was originally tuned at Specialty Z when I was lifted on 35s with headers. I'm currently tuned by Church Auto Testing, great experiences with both shops, professional and good at what they do!
I also have 35's and Kings Shocks all around. I have custom forged aluminum pistons (10.5:1 I believe), JWT cams and springs, JBA long tube headers.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I also have 35's and Kings Shocks all around. I have custom forged aluminum pistons (10.5:1 I believe), JWT cams and springs, JBA long tube headers.
Nice! What camshafts did you go with from JWT, CS2? Stock rods and what brand pistons?

I like the compression bump, please share your power numbers and dyno graph from Church Auto :thumbsup:

I looked back and now I remember you rebuilding your hydro locked engine. I noticed you used a 1st gen non VVT 2005 block, so all of the VK56 blocks are the same? Wiring harness and plugs the same? Are you using your same ECU?

Sorry for all the questions, VK56 builds are pretty rare and even then we usually don't get specs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice! What camshafts did you go with from JWT, CS2? Stock rods and what brand pistons?

I like the compression bump, please share your power numbers and dyno graph from Church Auto :thumbsup:

I looked back and now I remember you rebuilding your hydro locked engine. I noticed you used a 1st gen non VVT 2005 block, so all of the VK56 blocks are the same? Wiring harness and plugs the same? Are you using your same ECU?

Sorry for all the questions, VK56 builds are pretty rare and even then we usually don't get specs.
Ya I got the CS2 JWT cams, stock rods they have a great design by Nissan. Racetech Pistons custom made my pistons, but they let me down and I had the worst customer service. I was told by Race Tech pistons it should take 6 weeks to make 8 pistons from forged aluminum blocks, 6 months later I finally got them but with the wrong ring set. This why it's taken 10 months after me grenading my engine to get it running again. This truck should have been done 5 months ago.

I put my 2010 heads and intake on an 05 block and everything works fine and the wiring harness hooked up to everything and yes same ECU. The truck started on the like 6th try of cranking it over. It took many calls to Nissan dealerships to find a mechanic that knew what he was talking about so I could be confident enough to do this build.

·
Super Moderator
37,163 Posts
Here is my Dyno sheet from Churches
This was after a intake swap :)

Attachments

Reactions: JauntyBishop

·
Super Moderator
37,163 Posts
315 to the wheels just from an air intake?
No, and its 324 ;)

This was the last one where I retuned my truck after sticking an AirAid intake on replacing an AFE.

I have headers, custom exhaust, intake, and Uprev ... ;)

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Reactions: RobKar

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Here's my dyno graph from earlier this year. Shawn's Dynapack dynos were recalibrated in Jan 2015 to read closer to Dynojet numbers, at the wheels.

This is with JWT cams, Edge Racing torque converter and full bolt ons.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,163 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Ya I got the CS2 JWT cams, stock rods they have a great design by Nissan. Racetech Pistons custom made my pistons, but they let me down and I had the worst customer service. I was told by Race Tech pistons it should take 6 weeks to make 8 pistons from forged aluminum blocks, 6 months later I finally got them but with the wrong ring set. This why it's taken 10 months after me grenading my engine to get it running again. This truck should have been done 5 months ago.

I put my 2010 heads and intake on an 05 block and everything works fine and the wiring harness hooked up to everything and yes same ECU. The truck started on the like 6th try of cranking it over. It took many calls to Nissan dealerships to find a mechanic that knew what he was talking about so I could be confident enough to do this build.
Thanks for the info. It's good to know the VK56 block is the same between gen 1 and 2.

I'd be going crazy if my Pistons came 4 1/2 months late!

Good luck at Church's, you should see good numbers.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Reactions: RobKar

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't buy that intake, that's a cheap AEM knockoff that sells for cheap and it's oudated. NO intake sells for $900 for the Titan, that CL ad is ridiculous.

Just get the airaid.
Thanks for saving me man, looks like I won't be able to get one before the dyno though, should i reschedule the dyno session till i get the Airaid or is it not big deal to put it on after the tune as in it wont benefit much in the tuning?

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
There are good gains from the Airraid specially with your mods, tap could get you one quick I'm sure. I'm sure it would be beneficial to get tuned with it on. Are you running the stock intake now?

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts