Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I came across this video of this guy Stephen with his 2005 Titan Crew cab getting dynoed stock with his mods of 07 intake manifold, AEM CAI, JBA cat back, no cats, and Bullydog programmer with WOT limiter disabled
Dynoed 273rwhp/333rwtq.

With the 87mm TB kit installed and their 4in CAI intake kit,
Dynoed 278rwhp/348rwtq, these are peak numbers of course. Gain of 5rwhp/15rwtq.

The biggest gains were in the lower rpm band which showed a gain between 1500rpm-3700rpm(daily driving powerband); 218rwtq to 330rwtq equaling 120rwtq gain. And to answer the question of "it makes that power because the WOT limiter is disabled after installing the 87mm TB"...that can't be true because the baseline dyno run was with the bully dog programmer already installed of course, and naturally the WOT limiter would be disabled, thats pretty much the whole point of buying the programmer. Atleast thats why I bought my old superchips cortex...

Watch the vid for yourself. Enjoy!

So with nothing changed and the 87mm TB/4in CAI kit and NO UPREV tuning, just running the existing mods and the Bullydog... I would say the peak gains are decent, but in the lower RPMs, the power gain is unreal.

I would say the product works pretty well. With some UPREV tuning the gains would be even better. I would say with UPREV tuning the peak gains would be around 10-15rwhp/20-25rwtq gain considering without tuning they saw a gain of just 5rwhp/15rwtq with the 87mm TB and 4in intake.

Let the praising, speculation,bashing, flaming, opinions, critiquing etc.. begin.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
So, it's possibly adding a crapload of low band torque?

If it's made available without the intake, I'll bite for sure. Torque is why I love this truck.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
The price is just STRAIGHT UP RETARDED for 5hp!

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
What I want to see is someone mass manufacture a 90mm TB with a further modified intake because I have witnessed the airflow numbers on the prototype and the design looks very sound indeed.

Maybe someone else will chime in if they aren't too busy but if I'm not mistaken, the last time a 90mm was logged with the modified intake manifold, it was sucking about 340 NA and I don't believe I ever got past 285 NA...

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
GM/S intake readings are only important as a measuring device for your particular Titan. Two different intake brands, on the same Titan, can easily yield variances of +- 40 GM/S. This is very similar to running dyno testing using different brand machines.

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now remember, one wouldn't want to buy this for PEAK rwhp numbers, since you only see a gain of 5rwhp/15rwtq PEAK. I want this TB and intake kit because you gain over 120rwtq from around 1500RPM to 3800rpm. And this is on a titan that has NON CVTCS system. I bet on my titan, and other CVTCS titans it would be awesome, and with a set of cams and UPREV.

Granted, yes the price is high, but they are the only company that makes a kit and if you look at the HEMI 6.1 and LS GM aftermarket parts, they are expensive as hell too.

I'm gonna def give this product a try as soon as I get uprev, hell I might just buy the whole uprev, 90mm TB, 4in intake kit package and go from there.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Now remember, one wouldn't want to buy this for PEAK rwhp numbers, since you only see a gain of 5rwhp/15rwtq PEAK. I want this TB and intake kit because you gain over 120rwtq from around 1500RPM to 3800rpm. And this is on a titan that has NON CVTCS system. I bet on my titan, and other CVTCS titans it would be awesome, and with a set of cams and UPREV.

Granted, yes the price is high, but they are the only company that makes a kit and if you look at the HEMI 6.1 and LS GM aftermarket parts, they are expensive as hell too.

I'm gonna def give this product a try as soon as I get uprev, hell I might just buy the whole uprev, 90mm TB, 4in intake kit package and go from there.

ehhh...price is too high.....and for the ls crowd you can get a 102mm tb and 102 intake mani...for the same price as they are selling the tb and intake for....i know there is a higher demand but still 575 for a drive by wire 102mm tb is not even close to what there asking for a titan 90mm tb...

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
They need to run it at the track with and w/out on the same day on a slightly modded to heavily modded Titan. Then we will see if that supposed 125tq gain down low is helping or not. Man that much gain would have to feel like a totally different truck.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
They need to run it at the track with and w/out on the same day on a slightly modded to heavily modded Titan. Then we will see if that supposed 125tq gain down low is helping or not. Man that much gain would have to feel like a totally different truck.
With good traction, that much torque gain might break the headrest...lol.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
GM/S intake readings are only important as a measuring device for your particular Titan. Two different intake brands, on the same Titan, can easily yield variances of +- 40 GM/S. This is very similar to running dyno testing using different brand machines.
We aren't talking about a Cold Air Intake or a CAI brand at all, I am speaking of an entirely different intake manifold prototype and although I understand what you are saying and agree that numbers can vary with different CAI brands, I have yet to see readings that high anywhere else on a naturally aspirated Titan regardless of CAI brand which isn't what I am reffering to with regard to the "intake manifold" anyway.

This question is for everyone, what are the highest peak grams per second readings on a naturally aspirated Titan that anyone else has logged with UpRev?

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Running on the same day won't necessarily do it, they have to run in a very similar Density Altitude to get a good idea of performance differences and that could be on different days if need be, provided the DA is the same on both days and all else being equal as well with regard to weight, engine temperature, traction and so on..

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
IIRC, O-FiveCC said that day the BD tuner was "messing" up, and didn't give WOT disabled runs; so in this video, it would have WOT enabled until that newer 87mm TB was installed. Steve, please confirm! :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
IIRC, O-FiveCC said that day the BD tuner was "messing" up, and didn't give WOT disabled runs; so in this video, it would have WOT enabled until that newer 87mm TB was installed. Steve, please confirm! :)
Your post made me realize this is the video of Steve's truck. I'm positive that he was on the factory (WOT not enabled) setting.

As such, clearly, the gains were from the WOT restriction being bypassed by the TB. I am convinced that a BDGT set to extreme throttle response and WOT restriction removed will duplicate what the TB is doing, at a fraction of the price. Probably safer too.

People forget or don't realize why the PGM was made to begin with. When the PGM came out, we did not have the hand held tuners we have now. The PGM was created as a bolt in solution to get full throttle from idle. At that time, only UpRev was available, and that was back when you had to mail the ECU to UpRev to get programmed.

Put it on the dyno, I am having major problems with my BD GT. The whole day we thought I was in my performance tune, actually I was at stock everything.
MightyTitans.com - View Single Post - Titan Throttle Body Pricing and Update

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
ok so this is O-fives truck haha. its running around where i live now being driven by some kid in high school

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
At the risk of sounding alarmist, I am going to have to say that I don't believe that this TB is doing all that can be done with regard to communicating effectively and safely with the Titan, particularly with regard to torque management.

Without divulging any trade secrets as far as the PGM, I will simply state that it is running on a 3" tube from the CAI to the intake on the particular vehicle I am referring to and furthermore, that 3" is the same size as the stock air tube and that is where the 340 GPS airflow numbers originate and in essence, a smaller tube is not bumping up those numbers and furthermore, those numbers are possible because of the prototype intake manifold as well, and like I said before, that is a prototype intake manifold and not a Cold Air Intake just so there is no confusion.

The PGM is also getting WOT at a very low speed and has been proven to be safe as far as the transmission goes because it isn't fooling the computer system, but rather it is working in conjunction with it and allowing the truck to do what it needs to in order to protect itself, specifically the transmission.

I am not trying to piss on the power parade here and in the end, there are always risks with power modifications but in this instance, what I am witnessing are two very different TB designs with regard to the PGM and this one, and I am just not comfortable with this particular design whereas the PGM has proven itself to perform well, communicate properly with the computer system and is safe with regard to torque management computer parameters and the transmission.

In conclusion I will just say buyer beware and know the risks prior to the purchase of any power adder including this one, particularly when those power adders may be fooling the computer rather than working in conjunction with it and in the process, possibly bypassing some of the settings meant to keep the entire powertrain including the transmission safe.

Reactions: DRTYAZN

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Not to mention it's the same price as cams! When I called down to Harbor Nissan they told me it would be around $400-$500 when done. RIGHT!!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts