Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Exhaust Specifics: Stock 2.00" piping from the flange to a 2.25" Flowmaster Y-Pipe with 3.00" out to a Dynomax Race Bullet 3.00" IN \ 3"00 OUT, to a 3.00" IN/ 3.00" OUT Dynomax turn down cut with style, before the rear axle.

I finally found a place I trust to do a quality job, and after a 1.5 hour wait, watching her sit up on the lift for a while with apprehension, it all faded away when I saw the quality of the work. Money's worth and then some! That lead to 2.5 hours of documenting every step, verifying the steps and time they took to ensure every inch of the setup was sound, all the while pretty impressed with their using professional welds, attention to detail, custom fabrication of each piece, with putting it on, and taking it off about 8 to 10 times to get it perfect...

First Day Drive Impressions: Initial start up was music to my ears. Slight popping with some revs, and a lightly choking feel due to a lack of intake, but as i eased her onto the road and heard the sweet sound of the bullet at various rpm ranges, I was a kid in a candy store, doors locked, appetite for destruction engaged. ;)

She seems a bit choked on the intake side. Stock air filter will do that, but gives me a good base to judge improvement as I jump to a better filter and finally a cai. Drone is minimal, if any, and growl at start up is worth the price of admission. At first I regretted sticking with the 2 inch pipes from the flange. Felt she was choking a bit. Straight idle needs to breath better. Easing off the throttle leads to brief silence. I learned to appreciate that fact as I passed a major accident, going stealth during the drive in front of the numerous police there. She hisses quietly when you ease off the throttle, and by the end of the night, I appreciated it.

My only issue now is straight idle needs to be a tad more throaty. I assume with better air flow and break in time, it will be close to where I want it. Don't get me wrong, I am beyond crazy for the exhaust tone throughout the power range! WOT is addictive! Man! Nascar meets throaty growl on steroids with a synergy of V8 bark interlaced with a Banks like tone quality ramped up 20dbs...Honestly...I've never experienced anything like it before and it left me feeling satisfied in a way FM never did. Flowmaster what? J. is officially converted...for now. ;)

Overall I'm beyond stoked about this setup and given the parts were $115.00 and the labor was $140.00, This $255.00 dollar sound beats EVERY Flowmaster setup I ever had on my Mustang, Lightning, and Dodge Hemi! Period!

If you're on the fence about exhaust options, follow this setup. Go with 2.25 piping if you want, but I'm cool with the 2.00". Larger diameter may yield a slightly more billowy idle, but I can't imagine it being too much better than it is.

Thanks to Eddie for all his help, along with the rest of the guys posting on the other big Bullet thread. You guys helped make my birthday a great one! Add to that my girlfriend bought me a camcorder, and a Nextar GPS device I have yet to setup, I'd say 35 is going to be a very good year!

Overall...I am beyond satisfied with the end result, impressed with the quality of the installation and appreciative of the super cool attitude of the shop!

On to the the pics...

I took over 80+ cell phone pics, standing in the shop, keeping out of the way but making it obvious I want detailed pics to post something other than the typical "before and after" shots, and the guys couldn't have been more cool about it.

I'll double check these tomorrow at work, but I had to download each one manually via Yahoo Mail, and dammit, I'm gonna post em! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pics continued...

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics Continued...

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics Continued...again

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pics Continued...and again.. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pics Continued...yet again...It's gonna be a while folks. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here we go again....(board won't allow blank or duplicate messaged posts for some reason) So mind the verbiage as the process continues. thanks - Mgmt.

;)

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pics Continued...blah blah blah

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
%Pics Continued...sweating my *** off in south Florida 96 degree, 100% humidity...and it feels great! ;)~

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pics Continued...tweak, weld, fit, remove, hammer, mendrel bender, weld, cut...repeat. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pics Continued...approaching passing half way mark I think

Attachments

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Wow this is the most pics I've ever seen for an exhaust install! lol. Looks good so far...

How ya likin' it??

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
approaching final fitment, tweaking and custom hanger work.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
getting there...

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and getting there...

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Final result...

(I have more pics but I'm exhausted and will update them tomorrow and add better captioning to help anyone else wanting the specifics I can remember)

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
LOL! Appreciate it! Once I get this new camcorder figured out I'll record some shots. In the meantime I'm going to charge up my Sony Cyber Shot Saturday and take some videos of the various rpm ranges. I'm going to upload any pics I missed and update the message subjects with the basics of what I recall they were doing in them. I was fascinated with the process and the guys were beyond cool with me over their shoulder taking pics of every significant step in the process. They said they lived for work like this. Gearheads! Showed me his primered project car, a Grand National with a 600 plus horsepower big block that loves to eat trannys for breakfast. Sweet ride when it's done actually.

Heading to a Nine Inch Nails \ Janes Addiction concert tomorrow with friends to tail gate, engage in alcoholic rock and roll bliss, and enjoy the second half of my birthday celebration...revving the Bullet all the way. Yeah! ;)

~J.

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Ok, as a prior exhaust tech, let me point out a few things. I critique every exhaust fab setup that's not mine and will give out compliments when they are due. First, they did not use a mandrel bender. It's an older model of press bender like what I used to use. Second, It should not have took 1.5 hrs to fab that up. It would have took me all of 30-45 min tops, by myself without another person. And third, the welds look like crap. I can't believe they used cheesy a*s flux core wire to make those welds. That's the cheapest and cheesiest way to MIG weld anything. I will say, they did a nice job aligning everything and the price was spot on. Glad you like it and congrats on the new exhaust setup.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, as a prior exhaust tech, let me point out a few things. I critique every exhaust fab setup that's not mine and will give out compliments when they are due. First, they did not use a mandrel bender. It's an older model of press bender like what I used to use. Second, It should not have took 1.5 hrs to fab that up. It would have took me all of 30-45 min tops, by myself without another person. And third, the welds look like crap. I can't believe they used cheesy a*s flux core wire to make those welds. That's the cheapest and cheesiest way to MIG weld anything. I will say, they did a nice job aligning everything and the price was spot on. Glad you like it and congrats on the new exhaust setup.

No Mandrel Bender? Oh well. Not completely versed in all the tech verbiage really. The guy was bending the pipe and changing the physics so I just assumed that's what it was. Database Administration and Software Support doesn't usually involve shop tools. ;)

It took longer than I thought it would, but ultimately watching them take the time to take it off, adjust something slight, re-align, and do this again and again and again while putting up with my big *** taking photos, I appreciated their effort.

As for the welds, I'm no Iron worker, but once he took a wire brush to every inch of the setup, mounted it, and spray painted the welds, they looked pretty good to me. Hope they hold up well.

Thanks for the reply...

~J.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts