Nissan Titan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I bought one 2 years ago and it blows away everything I've ever had.

Never tried a Kirby though. Gonna have to wait til this one takes a dump.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Dyson rocks. I tossed 4 Hoovers after we got the Dyson. They kept burning up belts. A friend of mine has an older Oreck. It is lightweight, but a complete POS. My grandmother had an old Kirby. It was a heavy and very expensive POS.

·
Registered
365 Posts
kirby here too, the brushes do actually lift the carpet up and if you ever have a salesman come to your house let them do the demo. they have a special attachment they put on the vacuum to show you how much dirt it pulls out of the carpet in one 12" pass. then they use yours and do it again and it pulls out just as much. pretty impressive.

if you do have a salesman come by they WILL deal with you. dont settle for what they try to sell it to you for first.

the attachments that come with it are top notch and work very well. carpet shampooer for your house and vehicle, attachments are simple to change...the new ones assist you in moving them as well, when you push it forward, it drives itself forward as long as you push it. when you stop, it stops and when you pull back it assists going backwards.

im no salesman but as a guy, id use it over the shopvac for vacuuming my truck. attachements are that easy to change and work just as well

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
kirby here too, the brushes do actually lift the carpet up and if you ever have a salesman come to your house let them do the demo. they have a special attachment they put on the vacuum to show you how much dirt it pulls out of the carpet in one 12" pass. then they use yours and do it again and it pulls out just as much. pretty impressive.

if you do have a salesman come by they WILL deal with you. dont settle for what they try to sell it to you for first.

the attachments that come with it are top notch and work very well. carpet shampooer for your house and vehicle, attachments are simple to change...the new ones assist you in moving them as well, when you push it forward, it drives itself forward as long as you push it. when you stop, it stops and when you pull back it assists going backwards.

im no salesman but as a guy, id use it over the shopvac for vacuuming my truck. attachements are that easy to change and work just as well

i had the demo done here in home as well. .i had the dyson so it was a direct compare and the kirby just outperformed it ... I was like No way is the kirby gonna be better but it was .. i had just vacuumed before the guy got to my house ans i asked him to vacuume over certain areas i had just vacuumed and he did and he pulled up dirt and fibers that the dyson diddnt pick up.

i ended up giving the dyson to my mom.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i had the demo done here in home as well. .i had the dyson so it was a direct compare and the kirby just outperformed it ... I was like No way is the kirby gonna be better but it was .. i had just vacuumed before the guy got to my house ans i asked him to vacuume over certain areas i had just vacuumed and he did and he pulled up dirt and fibers that the dyson diddnt pick up.

i ended up giving the dyson to my mom.

definately surprising

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
We had the demo done as well...and we bought the Kirby...then decided to give it back. Good vacuum, but I did some checking online and found a lot of complaints about trying to get them fixed under warranty.

Anyway, that's beside the point. Did anyone notice that when they do the demo they vacuum with your vacuum really quickly, like zoom-zoom across the carpet, then they go reeeeally slow with the Kirby? Slower than I'd go, anyway, because it'd talk all day to vacuum if I went that slow.

Indeed the Kirby is a good vacuum and it sucks enough to lift carpet (It's the suction that lifts it, not the brushes), but at ~$1000...ouch. I've also heard (take it with a grain of salt) that people have used Dysons to clean up after a Kirby.

Something else to remember is when they go over a spot with the Kirby and then show you what it picks up that they can vacuum over that same spot again and still get more crap out of your carpet, so what exactly are they proving? Obviously a Kirby doesn't get everything up either, going over it a second time would you then tell them the Kirby sucked because it didn't get everything up the first time? :D

Just sayin'...their salespeople are really good at marketing. :D

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
when they did the demo wihtthe powder he diddnt even touch the kirby but to turn it on and left it in one spot for about 3 seconds.... before that the dyson went over that spot untill i diddnt see anymore of the powder swirling around . the kirby was just there 3 second at stand still and picked up powder and then i got up and ran the dyson over it again and no swirling powder in the canister ( we emptied out beofre doing it again and then emptied again to see if there any powder and there was nothing then we ran the kirby and actualy went over it a few times and there was more powder pulled up ... i was sold.. Demo or marketing i saw what i saw in my house on my carpet and did part of the TEST/DEMO myself .. Dyson is better than most but imo the kirby was better ..:)

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
A little late, I know. Bought one 2 years ago, and it is the best vaccum I have ever used. Parents have there house cleaned every week by pro's and I demo'd it to show them. I waited for the cleaners to leave, and vaccumed the house and filled up 4 canisters. Can't believe it. My only gripe is emptying it. I have to drag the air comprssor out and hit it with air to clean it really good. Wish it had a bag also, to reduce the amount of dust when emptying it. Other than that, it is a great product. Congrats.

·
Registered
432 Posts
They are worth every single penny. The reason why.... because with our Dyson my wife LIKES to vacuum! I don't think I've ever vacuumed at the house we currrently live at (going on 3 years)

·
Registered
365 Posts
We had the demo done as well...and we bought the Kirby...then decided to give it back. Good vacuum, but I did some checking online and found a lot of complaints about trying to get them fixed under warranty.

Anyway, that's beside the point. Did anyone notice that when they do the demo they vacuum with your vacuum really quickly, like zoom-zoom across the carpet, then they go reeeeally slow with the Kirby? Slower than I'd go, anyway, because it'd talk all day to vacuum if I went that slow.

Indeed the Kirby is a good vacuum and it sucks enough to lift carpet (It's the suction that lifts it, not the brushes), but at ~$1000...ouch. I've also heard (take it with a grain of salt) that people have used Dysons to clean up after a Kirby.

Something else to remember is when they go over a spot with the Kirby and then show you what it picks up that they can vacuum over that same spot again and still get more crap out of your carpet, so what exactly are they proving? Obviously a Kirby doesn't get everything up either, going over it a second time would you then tell them the Kirby sucked because it didn't get everything up the first time? :D

Just sayin'...their salespeople are really good at marketing. :D
yeah youre right about the demo but the theory with how much it picks up is the simple fact that youve vacuumed your house with the vac youve got and the kirby is still picking up dirt. also and who knows how long it will take but eventually the kirby will not pick up as much or any dirt because it will be all gone...

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks again for all the responses, you guys have helped me make up my mind to go ahead and get one, it sounds like there might be some brands out there that may be a little better, but it seems like everyone that has a Dyson really likes it. Thanks again! :hi:

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
no problem, tune in next week when we review even more mundane household appliances. And don't miss our special episode on Mixers: The Attachments you gotta have!

lol, all in fun. Its always nice to get advice from people you know, or at least have something in common with.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Buy a Panasonic. I get Dysons as trade ins all the time. They are a decent $200 machine, not a $400 machine.

Panasonics have more power and last longer, plus the little loose pieces dont keep falling off when the machine gets older. Also, the belt costs about $2 vs $60 (you have to break the rollerbar in two to change the belt on most Dysons.....

I own a vac store, and have for 27 years. I work on all vacs, and have a pretty good understanding of what is good and what is junk....:)

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
Panasonic's have more power and last longer, plus the little loose pieces dont keep falling off when the machine gets older. Also, the belt costs about $2 vs $60 (you have to break the rollerbar in two to change the belt on most Dysons.....
Actually, a few days ago, my wife decided she would vacuum out the fireplace with our dyson, it did not go well. I always use the shop vac for this, and was kind of upset that she used the dyson. Anyways, she got some chunks of wood stuck in the half circular piece under the vacuum that essentially blocked the suction to the wand. The thing sounded a bit like it was screaming, because it still refuses to lose suction, no matter if its blocked or not.

So, I took the whole thing apart. Cleared the jam, and removed the rollerbar mostly to clean the hair off of it. Long story short, the rollerbar comes apart Bleu, it came off quite easily without breaking it in half. Reassembled and it works great again.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sanitaire. It'll suck the carpet right off the floor, they're dependable, tough as hell, they're easy to fix, and parts are at any janitorial supply company.
You'll have the thing for the rest of your life. Ask anyone who runs a hotel or restaurant.

Sanitaire SC886-E

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.