Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and can't believe it didn't pull up a bunch of treads about E-85.

So, a new Shell station opened down the road from me here in Smyrna, TN and it sells E-85. This is the first one I've ever seen! My O5 is not an FFV, but I've read the only difference between an FFV and a non-FFV is the rubber seals throughout the fuel system have been eliminated to prevent premature wear with the E-85.

Can I ocassionally fill 'er up with the E-85 to clean out the engine and kill OPEC a little bit? I think the E-85 was selling at $2.20 while gas is $2.60. I am aware E-85 doesn't yeild the same MPG as gas, but I hate the oil companies now.

·
Super Moderator
161,677 Posts
IIRC, the FFV equipped vehicles also have different fuel lines due to the corrosive qualities of the E85. I might be wrong, but it seems that I remember reading that here somewhere.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
E85 requires bigger fuel injectors because it has less energy than regular gas, so more fuel needs to be injected to get the same results. I wouldn't recommed running E85 in your truck if it is not set up that way because you may burn it up. You will be running VERY LEAN and most likely break something fast.

·
Registered
85 Posts
e85 is 10:1 ratio fuel to air---our ecu needs to adapt---fuel lines are different---& injectors---be carefull---that being said my flex is getting 14mpg on e85/16mpg on 93oct---for general use i like e85

·
Registered
85 Posts
your right this stuff is alcohol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow, I just bought an FFV Titan in Nashville and have been looking for an E85 fueling station.

The dept. of energy site (sorry can't post links until 15 posts) would appear to not be up to date since your station in Smyrna is not listed as of today at least...only 11 stations in all of TN are listed there...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yeah, FFV vehicles has a whole slew of different items that are different from those that are not FFV. Mostly as many people mentioned before, the hoses, seals, tank, ECM, engine components. the non-FFV ECM doesn't know how to adjust for the different fuel type.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
TAFOYA'STITAN said:
so e85's are faster higher conpression

No E85 has less energy and therefore creates less Horsepower and uses more fuel to get the same work done as regular gas.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
val said:
e85 is 10:1 ratio fuel to air---our ecu needs to adapt---fuel lines are different---& injectors---be carefull---that being said my flex is getting 14mpg on e85/16mpg on 93oct---for general use i like e85
On the last five tank fulls using 93 octane and no ethanol blend, I have been seeing 17-18 mpg on my FFV 4wd. Mobil has been giving me the best mileage, with Shell being second. Citgo, which I normally don't buy but had to in a few cases, logs about 15 to 16 mpg with 93 octane no ethanol blend.

·
Registered
160 Posts
my 07 can run the E85, but the only station im familiar with only does a 10% mix of E85 in with all the other unleadeds. its also the cheapest gas per gallon in a 80 mile radius, if not farther. ppl line up to buy the gas but i dont know if they are paying attention to the fact that it has a 10% E85 mix in it. i see all kinds of vehicles there.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
MuskyHunter said:
On the last five tank fulls using 93 octane and no ethanol blend, I have been seeing 17-18 mpg on my FFV 4wd. Mobil has been giving me the best mileage, with Shell being second. Citgo, which I normally don't buy but had to in a few cases, logs about 15 to 16 mpg with 93 octane no ethanol blend.
We don't have Mobil in our region, but Shell has also produced the best results for me.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
How does the ECU even know what type of fuel is in there. There is no switch for FFV vehicles.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
TripleC said:
my 07 can run the E85, but the only station im familiar with only does a 10% mix of E85 in with all the other unleadeds. its also the cheapest gas per gallon in a 80 mile radius, if not farther. ppl line up to buy the gas but i dont know if they are paying attention to the fact that it has a 10% E85 mix in it. i see all kinds of vehicles there.

um... E85 is 85% ethanol and 10% gasoline
regular gas would be considererd E10 10% gas 90% gasoline.

they "oxygenate" all gas with ethanol (used to be MTBE but it contaminated underground streams so it was really bad) because it is "supposed to be" better for the environment blah blah blah... Honestly, I am an environmental guy and I think they should be running full 100% Gas or the E85. However, E85 is just a copout easy fix for the auto manufacturers to meet thier quotas for "alternate fuel" vehicles, a political joke IMHO.

·
Registered
160 Posts
interesting. i guess i never payed attention to the E # or if it even had one. i will be goin by there tommarow to fuel up (once a week). and see wot it says.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts