Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, a gas station near me just started selling E-85 ethanol gasoline at a current price of 2.75, with regular running 3.29 a gallon. Anyway after looking through my manual for my '07 XE I found that our truck can take the newer E-85 gasoline. I am hesitant to try it and had a few questions because saving 50 cents a gallon is a HUGE difference! Anyway first can you add E-85 to a half full tank of 87 octane without problems, or should I try to run the tank nearly out before filling up, and second, has anyone tried E-85 in our trucks? Any problems? Any gas mileage difference?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
There are a bunch of threads on this topic. You will find that the cost of ethanol will need to be 20% less than the cost of gas to break even. At 3.29 for gas, you should expect to pay less than 2.63 for ethanol for equal mileage, because your mileage will be much less with ethanol. Your towing mileage will drop quite a bit as well (less power). You can mix the ethanol with existing gas. Expect to see about 10-12 mpg with ethanol.

·
Registered
691 Posts
guy everyone here says E-85 is a bad choice for you as far as milage goes and i agree you get better milage with gas

but the benefits are much better for our eco system

if you dont drive alot (i mean use you truck for work)

then i say go for it

and yes you can add it to you current gas

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Read your owners manual, I believe it says you should have at least a 1/4 tank before mixing E85. Thereafter, you can fill the tank with 100% E85.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
For the best starting and vehicle driveability results, do not continually switch between E-85 and unleaded regular gasoline. If you must switch fuels, NISSAN recommends the following:

1. Do not switch when the fuel gauge indicates less than 1/4 full
2. Add more than 5 gallons of fuel
3. Operate the vehicle immediately after refueling for a period of at least 5 minutes

NOTE:
When the ambient temperature is above 90°F (32°C), you may experience hard starting and rough idle following start up even if the above recommendations are followed.

Selection of engine oil
For best performance and protection of your vehicle, use only engine oils that meet the following requirements:

If you operate the vehicle on E-85 fuel, use only SAE 5W-30 viscosity oil for all temperatures.Equivalent commercial Flexible Fuel engine oils may be labeled as Flexible Fuel (FFV) or Alternative Fuel (AFV). These engine oils may be satisfactory if they meet NISSAN standards.

·
Registered
969 Posts
ethanol is a rip off. do not waste your $ and time on it.

you can try it if you want but you won't be saving any money.

Unless they make it 1.50 a gallon it will always be a joke. it's corn! overpriced corn!

·
Registered
191 Posts
The mileage penalty is more like 30% with E85 vs gasoline. So unless the E85 is a least 30% cheaper than gasoline, it's going to cost you more to use, not less.

There are no environmental benefits to using ethanol. The ethanol program subsidizes gasoline prices at the expense of food prices. It is a big scam.

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
mattchu09 said:
Hey yall, a gas station near me just started selling E-85 ethanol gasoline at a current price of 2.75, with regular running 3.29 a gallon. Anyway after looking through my manual for my '07 XE I found that our truck can take the newer E-85 gasoline. I am hesitant to try it and had a few questions because saving 50 cents a gallon is a HUGE difference! Anyway first can you add E-85 to a half full tank of 87 octane without problems, or should I try to run the tank nearly out before filling up, and second, has anyone tried E-85 in our trucks? Any problems? Any gas mileage difference?
Does your truck have the E-85 FFV sticker in the gas door? Not sure which 07 vehicles have it but the sticker is more important that the manual.

Clint

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have yet to see an E-85 gas station in the OKC area. With the rapidly rising costs of fuel, I'd even consider using the stuff.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah it does have the E85 sticker on the gas door, but from the sounds of it it seems to be a big waste of money. The price doesn't seem low enough to compensate for the lower mileage and I would rather not waste my time. I was just kind of excited to see a station with E85 near me in Cincy, Ohio cause i had heard mostly that stuff is all over the west coast, didn't know much about the advantages/ disadvantages but now I do! Thanks as always to yalls responses, this board is always helpful :)

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
mattchu09 said:
yeah it does have the E85 sticker on the gas door, but from the sounds of it it seems to be a big waste of money. The price doesn't seem low enough to compensate for the lower mileage and I would rather not waste my time. I was just kind of excited to see a station with E85 near me in Cincy, Ohio cause i had heard mostly that stuff is all over the west coast, didn't know much about the advantages/ disadvantages but now I do! Thanks as always to yalls responses, this board is always helpful :)
Not everyone has a problem with it. I only lost 2-3 mpg when I ran some last time. Engine liked it. 105 Octane!! Woo Hoo!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
todd92 said:
...There are no environmental benefits to using ethanol. The ethanol program subsidizes gasoline prices at the expense of food prices. It is a big scam.
...also, if the ethanol is made from feed (corn/soy/cane) just think of all the fertilizer (made from gasoline) that has already been plowed into the soil. The energy gained is a net loss overall. Only huge government subsidies keep the madness going.

All E85 does is push up the feed prices which puts up the food prices. So what, you paid less for your fuel but your groceries just doubled!

E85 is exhausting our water supplies and all the excess fertilizer is polluting our streams - NICE!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
20% in your limited one off study, which was still well done. Even at 20% as you experienced, it's still a loser.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts