Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to try my e-lock tonight, but I don't think it was working. As intructed in the manual, while at a stop and in neutral, I put it in 4 LO and then turned on the e-lock. When I did that and started moving forward, my ABS light came on and the diff lock light just kept blinking. Anyone know why?

When I went back to 2wd, everything was OK.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you only went strait and did not spin one tire it may not have been lined up to lock in. Try testing it again and turn the truck as you drive slowly and it should lock in. If you were stuck and one tire spun (slowly to not break anything) it would let it lock in also.

·
Banned
361 Posts
yeah try again. mine blinked the first time i tried it also. i didn't get the ABS light though. when it locks in the lock light will not flash but will be solid.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I tried again. This time the "diff lock" light quit yelling at me, but the ABS light still came on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This will sound stupid but what is e-lock. I bought mine in jan. is this something they have added.
I have a 4x4 big tow.

·
Banned
361 Posts
elock is a locking rear differential. later models of the titan have it. but, if you have elock, then you don't have vdc. elock is part of the offroad pkg, vdc is part of the big tow pkg.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made an appointment at the dealer for Monday. Will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Austin said:
There's no need to go to the dealer - your e-locker functioned as it should.

Sometimes you need to let the truck roll a bit and/or drive just a bit (a couple feet) to get the rear end locked.
I got that part figured out. My ABS light still stays on though when using the e-lock.

·
Registered
73 Posts
From what I understand Nissan uses the ABS system to control front wheel slippage and that why your ABS light comes on every time you go to 4LO.

Locked my titan in 4LO going though a mug hole with lime rock scattered though it 1st weekend of the hunting season, it make a big difference.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JTD said:
From what I understand Nissan uses the ABS system to control front wheel slippage and that why your ABS light comes on every time you go to 4LO.

Locked my titan in 4LO going though a mug hole with lime rock scattered though it 1st weekend of the hunting season, it make a big difference.
I didn't see it in the manual anywhere???? The ABS light only turns on when I lock the rear differential, while in 4LO

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think this is what is ABS limited-slip is?
nissanusa.com titan performance:
Active Brake Limited-slip

An ally in any kind of poor-traction scenario, Active Brake Limited-slip applies braking force to a wheel that's losing traction while directing power to the wheels with a better grip. Titan is the only truck to offer front and rear Limited-slip capabilities.

Standard on 4x4; Part of Off-Road Package on 4x2

·
Registered
73 Posts
Disabled for front wheels to?

Also how’s the M/T's riding on the Titan they got a little noisy on my 94 hardbody.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
ABS = Anti-lock Brake System
ABLS = Active Brake Limited Slip

My ABS light does not come on when I have the E-locker engaged.
The ABLS should still work on the front differential when the E-locker is engaged. At least I have never read otherwise.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just checked my ABS light and it definitely come on when my e-locker locks in and goes off as soon as I press the switch to disengage the e-locker, even if the e-locker hasn’t disengaged yet.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
JTD said:
Just checked my ABS light and it definitely come on when my e-locker locks in and goes off as soon as I press the switch to disengage the e-locker, even if the e-locker hasn’t disengaged yet.
I guess that I didn't notice the ABS light on while the e-locker was engaged...Here is what page 2-31 of the "online" owners manual says:

c The Anti-lock Brake System is disabled
and the ABS light illuminates when the
E-Lock system is engaged.

The electronic locking rear differential (E-Lock)
system can help provide additional traction one
of the rear wheels has lost traction.
Activate the electronic locking rear differential
(E-Lock) system when one of the rear wheels has
lost traction or when the vehicle is driven in
off-road conditions such as in mud, snow or
sand.
To activate the E-Lock system:
c the 4WD shift switch must be in the 4LO
position,
c the vehicle must be stopped or moving at
speeds below 4 mph (7 km/h),
c and the E-Lock system switch must be ON.
Initially, the indicator light flashes when the system
is first turned on. When the system fully
engages, the light remains on.
The indicator light flashes if the switch is on and
all conditions for system activation are not met or
if the system becomes disengaged for any reason.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
IMADOGMAN said:
I guess that I didn't notice the ABS light on while the e-locker was engaged...Here is what page 2-31 of the "online" owners manual says:

c The Anti-lock Brake System is disabled
and the ABS light illuminates when the
E-Lock system is engaged.
My manual does not say this on page 2-31, but says everything else you posted.

Where is the online manual at?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Online Manual

joekrz said:
My manual does not say this on page 2-31, but says everything else you posted.

Where is the online manual at?
joekrz, I checked mine this morning, and the ABS light does come on when the e-locker is on. I guess that I just didn't notice it before. I haven't looked at my paper manual yet.
Also, I have found a couple of errors in the online manual (regarding ABLS).

Go Here and click on the little eyeball:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/deptog.asp?dept_id=50

PS You can download the online manual for free to your computer for a quick reference (especially if you are not on the internet).

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Downloaded it. Thanks.

Interesting though, because that comment is not in the paper manual that came with my truck. I see the file was dated July 2004. Maybe my manual was printed before that and there is now an update. I guess everything is OK. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts