Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it? I wont rock crawl, just some mud and light towing. If cost wasn't an issue I would get the Pro 4x. Just trying to get best deal on a base 2011 cc 4x4 Titan or Pro 4x. I would add lift, wheel and tires later. Any advice will help!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Is it worth it? I wont rock crawl, just some mud and light towing. If cost wasn't an issue I would get the Pro 4x. Just trying to get best deal on a base 2011 cc 4x4 Titan or Pro 4x. I would add lift, wheel and tires later. Any advice will help!
They can be useful, but are limited to use in 4LO and 12 mph maximum, while 4LO itself can be used up to 30 mph.

Btw, probably just the way it's worded, but are you saying you can get e-lock now, on the 2011's w/o the Pro-4x package?

Because of the speed limitation, I only use it idling up steep hills off road and usually the top speed I would want to be going is about 5 or 6 mph, because of drop offs or big ruts. It makes a big difference in the slow speed climbs. I always like to try the same hills in 2wd, 4HI, 4LO alone as well as locked and the locker really helps on dirt and loose rock. With speed 2wd can make some of the hills , but there are places it wouldn't be good to be going that fast.

I tried it on a soft sand dune and with the tires aired up to probably 40 psi, it didn't even begin to climb, so I put it in 4HI and gave it gas and it made it up easily with some speed. Did it once in 2wd by accident and had to switch over at the top as it was bogging down.

So it's great for some steep trail applications, but not really something for a mud pit, or for anything you would need speed for. A lot of people put the Detroit TruTrac Limited Slip Differential on their 2wd and 4x4 Titans, and it has a stronger design that replaces the spider gears, (although the newer Titans, at least the ones with the locker have a 4 pinion spider). The newer Titans must use some part off an old Titan to use a TruTrac though, forget what it is. There is also an ARB air locker available for some model year Titans.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, that is what I was looking for. No e-locker unless you get the Pro 4x. I plan on putting a small suspension lift later so I may save my money and put it towards a PRG kit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts