Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of dicsussion on doing the first oil change early. Just a thought, but as the oil filter removed particulates it is becoming MORE efficient, meaning will will filter and trap a larger percent of smaller particles. By changing the filter early you are switching the filter back to the less efficient pristine state.

Also, does anyone know if Nissan uses an altered oil blend for the first fill to assist with ring seating, etc? If so this would be an additional consideration.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Atsenaotie,

I was told by the dealer not to change the oil at 1000 miles as they do use a special additive to help break in the engine. I find it odd how many people are following the manual for the break in period but not for the first oil change.

Page 9-5 of your owners manual;
"Your engine was filled with a high-quality engine
oil when it was built. You do not have to change
the oil before the first recommended change
interval. Oil and filter change intervals depend
upon how you use your vehicle."

·
Registered
332 Posts
oil change

i always change my first oil at 1000 miles. in any new engine surfaces are trying to become compatible, thus we get metal debre.the dealer only recommends things, but your the owner and the engine will love you for that consideration.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
rsmith44 said:
i always change my first oil at 1000 miles. in any new engine surfaces are trying to become compatible, thus we get metal debre.the dealer only recommends things, but your the owner and the engine will love you for that consideration.
How true, I have put 225,000 miles on each of six new vehicles by changing the oil at 500 miles and at every 3,000 miles thereafter. When sold, all of these vehicles still had good compression, and none was experiencing excessive oil consumption. I also have a 15 year old push mower and a 15 year old riding mower still going strong that I also regulary change the oil in, while my neighbor, who apparently doesn't believe in oil changes for lawn mowers, has to buy new ones every third year. Also, if you talk to engine builders, they all recommend early first oil changes. Nissan's only concern is that you make it to 36,000 miles.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I changed the oil and filter at 250 miles and there were visible pieces of metal in the drain. Although these would most likely not get past the filter, I am still glad they are out of there... I checked with Nissan first to confirm that early oil changes would in no way affect my warranty (as long as it was the oil grade specified in the manual); although they also stated that it was unnecessary.
This site:http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php
has a lot of info and opinions on oil and oil changes on new vehicles.
I plan for another change at 1000 mi; then will follow the normal intervals.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am still looking for why the early change is a benefit...

Oil passes through the filter before being recirculated, changing the filter early causes it to trap fewer of the small particles. Larger particles will settle in the sump and not be picked up by the strainer. Where is the benefit to the early change? Does the oil "breakdown excessively fast in this first period?

I should think that if this were a good idea Nissan would REQUIRE it, and other manufacturers too. But so far as I can find, no manufacturer recomends an early drop and some specifically recomend against it.

As for Nissan only being worried about the first 36,000 miles, I doubt Nissan would be satisfied with a service schedule that resulted in excessive engine failures after 40 - 50K miles. After all, your powertrain warranty covers the engine until 60,000 miles, and they are selling 100,000 mile extended warranties.

I am not trying to pick a fight here, just trying to understand the issue.

·
Registered
280 Posts
piece of mind, thats why I change my engine oil so much on my truck and dirtbike. I dont have too, but it makes me feel better.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jeff7777 said:
This site:http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php
has a lot of info and opinions on oil and oil changes on new vehicles.
I plan for another change at 1000 mi; then will follow the normal intervals.
I took a look at the site, interesting that they too are having discussions about signature size :)

While many posters repeated the importance of early and short oil change schedules none described how it protected the engine. Other posters described policies of oil change intervals in the 5,000 mile range from BMW, and recomendations from Honda and VW not to do early changes.

·
Registered
514 Posts
My dealer said she didn't think they used any special break in oil anymore. But who knows. I plan on changing at 1500 or so.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The idea behind the early oil change seems to be flushing out both the particles from the casting process of the block (sand?), as well as the material worn down during the break-in. Supposedly, the majority of wear in an engine is also caused by tiny metal particles (3-10 microns) which are able to get past the oil filter. Early oil changes tend to remove these break-in particles sooner... I seriously doubt though, that Nissan or any other major manufacturer would advise an oil change schedule which would be harmful to an engine (they would actually make more $$$ in service calls if they advised early fluid changes). For me, I believe that it may give my Titan just that little extra edge in durability in the long term (my trade-in for the Titan {1990 Bronco} had 235,000mi).

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
RE: Lawnmowers

bestatchess said:
" I also have a 15 year old push mower and a 15 year old riding mower still going strong that I also regulary change the oil in, while my neighbor, who apparently doesn't believe in oil changes for lawn mowers, has to buy new ones every third year."

I also have a riding mower that I bought before I got married (16 years).
It is a Yazoo red rider. I can only remember changing the oil in it maybe
a couple of times. I know I have changed the air filter once. I had to
replace the belts on it when they gave out at 7 years, and I put a new
blade on it a few years ago. It is sitting in the garage right now waiting
for me to air up the flat tires it has been sitting on since last season.
They are original, and I ain't buying new ones till one blows.

I have always run the engine (11hp Briggs with cast iron sleeve) wide
open regardless of grass height. The dealer told me it would last longer
this way.

I also have neighbors and relatives who go buy Murray's or other crap
mowers every few years. You get the quality that you pay for.

My Nissan dealer said they would do my first oil change on the Titan for
free. If they make me wait till 3,000 miles, so be it. I think alot of people
are buying into the hype these oil companies are putting out so they can
sell more oil. I usually change my oil between 3,000 and 5,000 miles.
I use Havoline cause Castrol went up 5 bucks a case at Walmart. I
used to use Fram filters, but the last one I bought had a pin hole in it.
I didn't find the hole till I started the engine with the new oil and checked
for leaks. What a pisser.

If it makes you guys feel more secure about your truck's longevity by
changing the oil early and often, it's your money, spend it on what makes
you happy.

I get my sense of security by knowing I have two Nissans sitting in my
driveway ( although there is a 1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero in the yard).

Isn't it nice that the major issues we are concerned with are radio reception,
heater knob weight, and the asthetics of leather seat stitching?

Just imagine if we were all driving Murray's, oops, I mean Dodge's.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The oil does take a beating in the first couple thousand miles. There is one UOA(used oil anaylsis) on bobistheoilguy.com for the titan, and as it probably should, showed very elevated wear metals in the sample, also the factory fill showed no signs of any additive to help break in, just plain conventional 5w-30. I plan on changing the oil over at 500 miles, sending the sample in for anaylsis and will run mobil 1 10w-30 with future anaylsis to determine what kind of oil this engine likes. There is no way I can bring myself to run conventional oil in my new titan, the fact that they recommend 7500 miles on a conventional oil is way out of bounds as well, I've never seen a conventional that can last that long without degrading, where as mobil 1 will barely be breaking a sweat at 7500.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
"I used to use Fram filters, but the last one I bought had a pin hole in it."

Fram has not been doing well in oil filter tests of late.

·
Registered
19 Posts
early oil changes

As a long time gearhead I go by the rule that you cant change oil to often .The rings are getting seated ,therfore you have more blowby,oil gets dirty faster.I changed mine at 2250 and put in Castrol Syntec and will follow a 5000 drain intravel.This works well for me as mainly it depends on the way you use your truck . :rockon Happy trucking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've always changed my oil (to synthetics) within the first couple thousand miles and have never had a problem. Many people say synthetics are too slippery to achieve good engine break-in, but many premium and performance cars come factory filled with synthetics. I don't believe there is anything special in the factory-fill oil Nissan uses...they're just telling us that there is no need to service it sooner than the normal interval.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did the engine breaK-in just like the owners book says to for 1200 miles. Changed the oil at 1200 and 3000 miles just to drain away any particles. Be going to Mobil 1 at 6500-7000 miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts