Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys... If you had to choose a SPARE truck to buy that you could set up for the track...which would you buy on the premise of being the easiest to mod to haul *** in the 1/4 mile?? Specifics and why..

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Ford lighting. A buch of aftermarket stuff out already. That things kicks azz stock. My second would be a Chevy typhoon. What ins't there to like about a 454 big block in a truck.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AF-Medic said:
Ford lighting. A buch of aftermarket stuff out already. That things kicks azz stock. My second would be a Chevy typhoon. What ins't there to like about a 454 big block in a truck.
I agree with ya on both.:cheers: The lightening is a truck I've been tryin to get a hold of. A good one considering they're all at LEAST 3 years old now. But I thought the Typhoon had a 4.3 twin turbo AWD on it...

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
PAPARYNO said:
I agree with ya on both.:cheers: The lightening is a truck I've been tryin to get a hold of. A good one considering they're all at LEAST 3 years old now. But I thought the Typhoon had a 4.3 twin turbo AWD on it...
The typhoon and cyclone has a 4.3 intercooled turbo motor.

Now.....which truck would i choose? Hmmmm......well the aftermarket community will always support the big 3 more than imports. So with that been said, maybe a SRT 10, Lightning, Cyclone, or older model Chebbie that i can stuff whatever the hell i want in it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I raced a Lightening in my S2000. Could not believe how fast that beast was. I was stock, not sure about him. Once he hooked up, he pulled on me from a dig and then from a 10mph roll.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
PAPARYNO said:
Ok guys... If you had to choose a SPARE truck to buy that you could set up for the track...which would you buy on the premise of being the easiest to mod to haul *** in the 1/4 mile?? Specifics and why..
1968 Chevy c10 with the 328 motor and turbo 400 auto tranny. Add an LSD, slicks and a four barrel carb and you've got the beginning of a monster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
DEFINETLY THE FORD LIGHTNING! Mid to low 13's stock. Pulley and chip and easily 12's. All that is needed for this beast is traction.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i have a 99 ford lightning that i tow with my titan to the track i usually keep my slicks on it that's why i dont just drive it to the track myself all i have done to it is i replaced the factory EDEN with a Kenny Bell s-charger i am pulling 9's in the 1/4 it has to be one of the quickest trucks i have ever owned or been in. the mod lists available for these thing would nake you go broke you can do anything to the things and a good thing is it's fast enough just stock so you've got a screamer off the line with these dang things

·
Premium Member
76,468 Posts
anmut said:
1968 Chevy c10 with the 328 motor and turbo 400 auto tranny. Add an LSD, slicks and a four barrel carb and you've got the beginning of a monster.
i like the way you think :cheers:

this is tough to answer though with no limiting factors... any other perameters, budget??

·
Registered
279 Posts
carver1titan4x4 said:
i have a 99 ford lightning that i tow with my titan to the track i usually keep my slicks on it that's why i dont just drive it to the track myself all i have done to it is i replaced the factory EDEN with a Kenny Bell s-charger i am pulling 9's in the 1/4 it has to be one of the quickest trucks i have ever owned or been in. the mod lists available for these thing would nake you go broke you can do anything to the things and a good thing is it's fast enough just stock so you've got a screamer off the line with these dang things

Not to be an *** but i find you going 9's very unlikly, so i guess you could say i am calling bull****. I know a lot about these trucks and the people that own them that have been 9's. So if you have something to say or would like to prove to me your truck is that fast.

But ya man i would go with the Lightning, i know of a couple guys that have gone 11.4x's on the stock motor with a whipple, tune, suspension, oh and you are gonna need a good tire.

·
Registered
279 Posts
carver1titan4x4 said:
Factory EDEN? How bout an Eaton blower? How much boost are you running and what kinda 60ft's do you pull on the slicks? Who tunes your truck and are you still on the stock fuel system?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
AF-Medic said:
Not to be an ***, but I just want to make it right. It's a GMC Typhoon and Syclone. The Typhoon is the SUV and the Syclone is the truck.

Anyways, I would go with the Syclone. Be different from the rest of the crowd (isn't that why you bought your Titan? Though I'm sure there are many other reasons, but that had to be one of them, right? :lol:). My last vehicle was a 1993 GMC Jimmy with the Vortec 4.3L. That engine was a BEAST in that SUV. It would surprise many people who didn't expect to see it coming. Anywho, the only downside to the Syclone is that parts are pretty hard to find and they're pretty expensive. Oh, and did I mention that the STOCK 0-60 on the Syclone is 4.5 sec? Eat that STOCK Lightning....:haveredfl

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
joeinstl said:
I raced a Lightening in my S2000. Could not believe how fast that beast was. I was stock, not sure about him. Once he hooked up, he pulled on me from a dig and then from a 10mph roll.

yep , I've driven a couple of lightenings!! wow.. They don't even feel like they're going that fast till you watch the speedo..
Well if anyone knows of a good low miles LIGHTENING for sale , let me know.. Preferably WHITE:) . I've been ready to sink another 6-7K in this TITAN(which I LOVE)but I feel the weight really makes the engine HP/TQ have to be almost ridiculous. If I put that money in a lightening... WOW!! I'm keepin my TITAN and gonna find a 1/4 mile track somewhere around here(even if I have to drive a frekin few hundred miles)and see if my truck is in the 13's yet. I feel it is and according to some of the guys I've talked to in Mobile(*goin by what my times are and what I've run compared to them)... it is.. I'm hopin!! But nevertheless, I don't know the best way to spend this 7K on this Titan to make it into the lower 13's.. ANYONE???? Is there a way with another 7k into it.??
I know the lightening would just about be there stock!!

BTW.. thanks a hell of a lot TOOMNYMODS for given me the freakin FEVER on this crap.. I was happy street racin(too dangerous, especially once your truck gets a lil faster) but now that we've been goin to the track.... it's a WHOLE NEW BALLGAME!! Hell we've even thought about drivin to SO'CA' just to race with the big dogs over there... Been bitten BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDD..

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
roy365 said:
Not to be a bigger PIA.......but it's spelled Cyclone.

Actually it's not. It is spelled "Syclone" (at least on the truck it is, but I understand that you mean in actual terms it's spelled "cyclone") I guess that was the "cool" thing to do back in the early 90s.

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
PAPARYNO said:
yep , I've driven a couple of lightenings!! wow.. They don't even feel like they're going that fast till you watch the speedo..
Well if anyone knows of a good low miles LIGHTENING for sale , let me know.. Preferably WHITE:) . I've been ready to sink another 6-7K in this TITAN(which I LOVE)but I feel the weight really makes the engine HP/TQ have to be almost ridiculous. If I put that money in a lightening... WOW!! I'm keepin my TITAN and gonna find a 1/4 mile track somewhere around here(even if I have to drive a frekin few hundred miles)and see if my truck is in the 13's yet. I feel it is and according to some of the guys I've talked to in Mobile(*goin by what my times are and what I've run compared to them)... it is.. I'm hopin!! But nevertheless, I don't know the best way to spend this 7K on this Titan to make it into the lower 13's.. ANYONE???? Is there a way with another 7k into it.??
I know the lightening would just about be there stock!!

BTW.. thanks a hell of a lot TOOMNYMODS for given me the freakin FEVER on this crap.. I was happy street racin(too dangerous, especially once your truck gets a lil faster) but now that we've been goin to the track.... it's a WHOLE NEW BALLGAME!! Hell we've even thought about drivin to SO'CA' just to race with the big dogs over there... Been bitten BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDD..
I saw several Lightnings on Autotrader today. One was modded up and was in your price range......and WHITE!!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still fightin' Kyle at about this damn s/c thing. I'm just afraid that even the added 100 or so HP/TQ wouldn't give the quickness needed. I think the rest of the motor would be tuned down for the s/c. I worry about rpm limiter. I would hate to turn my @13.9-14.4(has to be somewhere in there)truck into a 13.5-13.8 truck with 7k into a s/c. Just seems like that money could do something else for this truck.. Anyone??

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
roy365 said:
I saw several Lightnings on Autotrader today. One was modded up and was in your price range......and WHITE!!!! :cheers:
locally for you... or me... or online???

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oxmach said:
QUOTE]

just had to tell ya again... SWEET TRUCK!!! man that thing looks goooooood!!!

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
PAPARYNO said:
locally for you... or me... or online???
it's up here.....i did a search within 100 miles. It has like 450HP.....pretty sweet truck. Alot of miles though, but who cares if it's a toy right???

Must be a bug goin around for a project car/truck. I guess the reason i want to is because theres just no more goodies for the Titan now. So now i'm looking boosted or older car/truck with a big block!!!! :cheers:

It's in Belle Mina if you do a search and find it.

Thanks PAPA!!!!!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts