Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it may be too early to ask but will the Easygate dampened tailgate assist be available as an accessory or part through Nissan for the 2004 Titans? The tailgate assists are now standard on all models of the 2005 Titans, according to New-Nissans forum.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
dersheist said:
I know it may be too early to ask but will the Easygate dampened tailgate assist be available as an accessory or part through Nissan for the 2004 Titans? The tailgate assists are now standard on all models of the 2005 Titans, according to New-Nissans forum.

Has anyone driven their '04 Titan to the dealership to see if the '04 and '05 tailgates are interchangeable without any modifications?

If anyone has spare time and doesn't have anything to do, please give it a try. Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Banned
452 Posts
Bayou Titan said:
Has anyone driven their '04 Titan to the dealership to see if the '04 and '05 tailgates are interchangeable without any modifications?

If anyone has spare time and doesn't have anything to do, please give it a try. Inquiring minds want to know.
Haven't tried it, but I got to look at the 05 today and try its lift-gate. And man what a difference. One finger open and close. YES ONE FINGER. The assists are inside of the mounts where the tailgate attaches. It bolts in with some hex screws. It looked the same as the 04, so it might be adaptable.....

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Sweet....I want one too for my 04!!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bayou Titan said:

Yes I have and the 04 is not the same as the 05. There is a gas shock behind the right tail light. The gate bracket and the one on the truck will have to be replaced. The truck bed behind the tail light on the 05 has a notch cut out in it so the shock will clear. I have the part numbers for all the brackets and shock. I will be going back to my dealership Sat. 11/06/2004 and will take pictures of the 05 with the tail light out. Will post the part numbers and pictures later.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Titan_TX said:
Haven't tried it, but I got to look at the 05 today and try its lift-gate. And man what a difference. One finger open and close. YES ONE FINGER. The assists are inside of the mounts where the tailgate attaches. It bolts in with some hex screws. It looked the same as the 04, so it might be adaptable.....
saw my firsts 05 on a deale rlot, and I must say the assist is a NICE feature. I agree 1 finger operation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No exposed mechanism, so retro-ing will require a few parts and quite a bit of disassembly, but if it's possible I would like to do it, i think it's worth having!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS I hated the "V8 TITAN" emblam on the door!!!!!!! too gaudy!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the SE rims are so-so, not a must have either

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
cessna said:
Yes I have and the 04 is not the same as the 05. There is a gas shock behind the right tail light. The gate bracket and the one on the truck will have to be replaced. The truck bed behind the tail light on the 05 has a notch cut out in it so the shock will clear. I have the part numbers for all the brackets and shock. I will be going back to my dealership Sat. 11/06/2004 and will take pictures of the 05 with the tail light out. Will post the part numbers and pictures later.
When I test drove a truck, I was told buy the dealers service department that the new tailgate uses springs
I do not know how it works, but it seems like these dealers do not know what they are selling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tail Gate

Deepwater said:
When I test drove a truck, I was told buy the dealers service department that the new tailgate uses springs
I do not know how it works, but it seems like these dealers do not know what they are selling.
Here are pictures of the 2005 tailgate and of the 2004 plus the part numbers. There are no springs, one single gas shock only behind the right tail light. The 2004 is different from the 2005 and you will have to do some drilling and cutting on the bed then it might work or might not. Better study it over real close before you start. Pictures below are of the 2004 gate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
cessna said:
Here are pictures of the 2005 tailgate and of the 2004 plus the part numbers. There are no springs, one single gas shock only behind the right tail light. The 2004 is different from the 2005 and you will have to do some drilling and cutting on the bed then it might work or might not. Better study it over real close before you start.
2005 Titan gate pictures.

·
Banned
452 Posts
dersheist said:
Thank you very much! I appreciate your research.
I knew it was inside that wall, but wasn't sure what did it. Now you showed us what did it. Great. Now I wonder how much this would cost.

·
Banned
452 Posts
I just ordered the parts from South Point Nissan, David Burnette.

The strut is around $7 or so bucks, the bolts are under a buck each, and the bracket he wasn't sure because his list wasn't up to date yet. He will be ordering them anyways and once he gets them in ship them to me. I will try and make the install myself. Looks to me all you have to do is remove the tail lamp to do this. Wish me luck! Lots of pics and instructions will be included after the install.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Looks to me like the internal structure just behind the assist cylinder is different. Looks deeper and more pieces possibly to beef the area up to withstand the new loads. Hope I'm wrong cause I'd love to install on my truck. Just an observation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Boone-Titan said:
Looks to me like the internal structure just behind the assist cylinder is different. Looks deeper and more pieces possibly to beef the area up to withstand the new loads. Hope I'm wrong cause I'd love to install on my truck. Just an observation.
You are correct, the bed is different in this area. I dont think it is possible to install this on the 2004. Also checked with Nissan on the power rear slide window and it can not be installed in the 04 either. I have pictures of the rear window part numbers and drawings if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
cessna said:
Here are pictures of the 2005 tailgate and of the 2004 plus the part numbers. There are no springs, one single gas shock only behind the right tail light. The 2004 is different from the 2005 and you will have to do some drilling and cutting on the bed then it might work or might not. Better study it over real close before you start. Pictures below are of the 2004 gate.
Cessna, thanks for posting these instructions. I'm sure it will help alot of people, however I'm a technical retard when it comes to these type of things :bangit: I asked my service guy today what they would charge to retrofit but he has not gotten back to me yet. Anybody get quotes from the dealer, please post.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Don't think it can be done!!

After looking at the pic's that were so nicely posted(Thanks by the way!! I know we all appreciate your efforts!), I don't think you can just install the parts without some major body work being done!! If you look at the pics I attached you'll see what I mean! The opening behind the tail light of the 05 is much bigger than the 04. You can tell by the distance of the corner (that I circled) to the bolts coming through on the left. There is not enough room to fit in the brackets without cutting out some metal. Thats my opinion anyway!! You guys can look at the pictures and tell me what you think!
-Jamie

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts