Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got finished fighting with my dealership.

Have on record all the times I took my '04 Titan in for brakes and they said the only fix for it at the time was the new pads, and now that I am past my 36month warranty period, I would have to pay for "the fix". Done with them.

thinking about putting on a EBC kit that has cross-drilled rotors with the EBC 7000 pads.

What do ya'll think about that for now. Is the Stillen stuff any good.

I am familuar with EBC brakes since that is what we use on our MX bikes.

Spend too much money on MX to do the '08 upgrade for now.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Either is probably better than stock. I made it to about 18K on the '04 stock brakes. Then I put on the Stillen cross-drilled rotors & metal matrix pads w/ SS lines. They were fine, lasted about 50K on the front, then the pads were worn down and I think the rotors were scored by the sand they put on the roads in the winter. Now I have cryo Power Slots & Akabono ceramic pads. They seem fine also. I think frozen rotors recommends some different pads, IIRC, Hawk.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
I would not go with cross drilled rotors. I have read a bunch about them cracking. I would go with slotted. EBC makes good stuff. Frozen rotors is a site sponsor here and several people have bought their stuff with good results. I have read several people that went with the stillen and liked them also.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
You just have to be careful... You can use the Stillen big brakes, which I believe are currently only available for the front, or go with some other aftermarket rotors... BUT, you need to have the 18" factory wheels to clear the Stillen setup. You can also upgrade to the bigger, better '08 Titan OEM brakes, but will need the 18" wheels for that as a minimum as well. The 17" OR wheels don't clear the calipers....

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
Crossdrilled can be a PITA to set the pads sometimes. Also with crossdrilled you get a low volume noise during braking due to the holes. Never heard of them cracking, but anything is possible.
Slotted seems to provide enough cooling as well as stopping power, but doesnt emit that noise. Either setups will be better than OEM for sure, just make sure to measure everything up and get availability and replacement parts cost as well.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
A guy at work pointed out a set of cross drilled rotors on a car at work here recently. The holes were not coated with anything and were rusting badly. Make sure if you do get cross-drilled rotors, make sure they are coated.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would not go with cross drilled rotors. I have read a bunch about them cracking. I would go with slotted. EBC makes good stuff. Frozen rotors is a site sponsor here and several people have bought their stuff with good results. I have read several people that went with the stillen and liked them also.

I noticed the EBC states that their rotors are slotted and dimpled to prevent cracking. Does that mean there is just a dimple in the rotor and not completely drilled thru?

BTW, thanks all for your help! Just paid the ole' girl off and with this site, it looks like we'll be together a while!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I ended up going with the Powerslot (slotted) rotors and EBC supreme green pads. I love them!!! Got them both from autoanything.com. The rotors came with a cadmium finish. Baby stops on a dime!!! Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
when i have to upgrade my 04 brakes i will be going w/ the frozen rotors slotted/hawk lts combo like i just got for my sequoia. im very pleased so far.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
A guy at work pointed out a set of cross drilled rotors on a car at work here recently. The holes were not coated with anything and were rusting badly. Make sure if you do get cross-drilled rotors, make sure they are coated.
Coated doesn't seem to help much. I had cadmium plated, Stillen cross drilled rotors on one of my trucks. The holes were constantly plugged with growing rust chunks, probably due to road salt in the winter. The edges of the rotor also rusted a fair amount. The rotors got badly scored when these chunks got lodged between the pad and rotor. Talking with Stillen on that issue in the past, it was suggested that regular cleaning of the vent holes is not uncommon maintenance for best performance. IMHO, slotted is the way to go for better fade resistance with a pad life penalty, or stick with a high quality solid rotor. My experience with cross drilled rotors on trucks is that the initial bite is good, but seem to fade afterwords, especially when towing. The best option is to go with a larger rotor in front to improve brake performance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally decided to go with the Complete EBC Package! After a few thousand miles, I am very happy. Very little brake dust and great performance. Let's just see if they make it past that 10K benchmark!

Here's what I got:
2004 Nissan Titan EBC Brake Pad Set Brake Pad Set Price: $98.97 Qty: 1 Part #: E35DP71698 (7000 series Heavy Duty "Red Stuff" pads)

2004 - 2007 Nissan Titan EBC Brake Pad Set Brake Pad Set Price: $55.97 Qty: 1 Part #: E35DP61707 (6000 series Heavy Duty "Green Stuff" pads: They don't have "Red Stuff" Pads for the rear yet!

2004 - 2005 Nissan Titan EBC Brake Disc Brake Disc Price: $229.97 Qty: 1 Part #: E35GD7361

2004 - 2007 Nissan Titan EBC Brake Disc Brake Disc Price: $217.97 Qty: 1 Part #: E35GD7362

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Reactions: Kronos1965

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
do you guys reuse the OEM calibers? or do you get those somewhere else?
Yes!!

The issue is with the OEM rotors!!

I have discovered most OEM crap from Nissan, is crap!!! :rofl:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts