Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FINAL UPDATE: Nissan sells an Updated Relay for the ECU for just $3. Get it there if you think you need one or two to feel safe. They sell these at cost, due to the Recall. Check for Warranty Coverage first. Thank you for all the interest in this thread!

Easy Order here as of from 9/18/17:
https://www.courtesyparts.com/oem-parts/nissan-relay-284b7cw29e

Basically ignore everything below. Go above and order a Relay!

UPDATE MARCH 2010: Hold Off, still an error on this Relay p/N. The one detailed here is a 5 Pin, not a 4 Pin as we need! Go to post 28 to get needed details. :(

Correct Link: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=CM1a-D-12V

UPDATED March 4, 2010: Since http://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy/...AT/CM1A-D-12V/ has them with only a $35 Minimum, I am going to place an order there tonight. I can't justify buying 50 of these things for $141. I have no desire to sell these things online, but may sell a few at just an even dollar amount, once I figure my cost with shipping and packaging. I'd hope to be able to ship a single Relay for around $7 PayPal'd and USPS. Envelopes is something I need to look into. Simple padded from Office Depot should work OK.

I have placed the order for a qty of 25 IPDM ECU Relays, Type CM1a-D-12V. There are back ordered 8 weeks from today. I expect to get an update around May 4th, 2010 and hope to receive the Relays shortly thereafter. I will share info on what comes in at that time.

If I can cover my cost to ship these out, for $7 or less, I will do so. Thus fulfilling my intention of realizing a $7 Solution! Thank you for your patience. :)

Here is a link where you can buy the correct Relay for the ECU on your Original Version IPDM. This Relay has the Internal Diode, which is makes it different from the others on the IPDM (i.e. Fog Light Relay). Part number has been extensively researched and confirmed. This is the exact same item that Nissan uses.

This may save you from buying an expensive IPDM module. Consider buying this ahead of time, to keep as a spare in the glove box. I'll be buying myself 2 or 3, just too inexpensive not to. Relay is less than $4! Cost Shipped is roughly $7 via USPS. This Relay fits the original design IPDM. May be back ordered sometimes, be patient.

"idhitit2:

Digi-Key - 255-2184-ND (Manufacturer - CM1-D-12V)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Good find.

I hate the fact that auto manufacturers do not use standard electrical items in their designs. Why do we have to have 3 dozen different kinds of relays in one vehicle? A fuel pump relay does the same task as a horn relay, as a headlight relay. Why can't they just use Bosch-type relays that are available everywhere? It would keep their parts costs down, too.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Just ordered 3.

The info discovered by Titan Blue indicates that this diode protected relay has a shorter service life than an ordinary relay, apparently because the diode coil emf protection slows opening of the contacts when the truck is turned off.

Accordingly, I'm thinking maybe this is a maintenance item, like changing your ATF or antifreeze. Perhaps changing this in advance of failure may be a good idea to save stalling in traffic, missing appts., cooking your cats by dumping unburned fuel trying to start the truck.

After I swap, I may slice the 2004 OEM one from my truck open to see what the relay contacts look like.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Good find.

I hate the fact that auto manufacturers do not use standard electrical items in their designs. Why do we have to have 3 dozen different kinds of relays in one vehicle? A fuel pump relay does the same task as a horn relay, as a headlight relay. Why can't they just use Bosch-type relays that are available everywhere? It would keep their parts costs down, too.
Their costs are down. They want to keep your costs up.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This Relay is an electronics industry standard design. It is a "35 Amp Micro-ISO Automotive Relay, CM Series".

Cost to Nissan is less than $2. I've seen same size Relay used on other brands. I wish I had looked this up a couple years ago. I'd seen this series of relays in the course of my regular work for years, but never connected it with our needs until a couple months ago.

Just yesterday, I installed a "Weatherproof" Relay and Harness on a Generator. Hefty Part, and hefty Price of about $16 for the Bosche Relay and $24 for the Weatherproof base/harness made by Hella. Sure looks better though. :)

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Great find/solution TitanBlue. Have you done any testing to see the maximum amps that passes through the relay?....How close to max. rating?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
This Relay is an electronics industry standard design. It is a "35 Amp Micro-ISO Automotive Relay, CM Series".

Cost to Nissan is less than $2. I've seen same size Relay used on other brands. I wish I had looked this up a couple years ago. I'd seen this series of relays in the course of my regular work for years, but never connected it with our needs until a couple months ago.
Courtesy Parts online relay prices:

Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

They certainly don't want the average customer to be able to pick up a common relay for $2. Solution: don't list the mfg or original part number, make up a Nissan part number, multiply price by 10 to 20x.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Great find/solution TitanBlue. Have you done any testing to see the maximum amps that passes through the relay?....How close to max. rating?
No I haven't. I do not have a Load Bank to do such testing. But, I trust Panasonics Engineers to know far better than I. Someone could remove the relay and rig up an Ammeter inline, to measure current draw, but I would never bother doing that on my Titan. 4 Pieces of wire to extend the four QD Tabs and a Multimeter are all that is needed. But potentially 20 Amps is pushing the limit on my Fluke 117 I have at home. I believe my Fluke is rated 10 Amps, 20 Amp momentary.

I originally was going to rig up an off board Relay with commonly available parts from a Pep Boys, but this solution was better and much cheaper. Now, to see what everyone's results are with the correct relay available.

I'll be looking into what Relays are used on the new version IPDM and report on that. That'll be a few more weeks probably. We have a Mod Meet coming up soon for the MVP Titans, and I will learn some more there.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Nice info TB. I'm not knowledgeable about electrical stuff, it's nice know someone who is. Haven't run into any IPDM issues so far, but it's just a matter of time. Going to buy two just in case. Thank you bro'.

L

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
No I haven't. I do not have a Load Bank to do such testing. But, I trust Panasonics Engineers to know far better than I. Someone could remove the relay and rig up an Ammeter inline, to measure current draw, but I would never bother doing that on my Titan. 4 Pieces of wire to extend the four QD Tabs and a Multimeter are all that is needed. But potentially 20 Amps is pushing the limit on my Fluke 117 I have at home. I believe my Fluke is rated 10 Amps, 20 Amp momentary.

I originally was going to rig up an off board Relay with commonly available parts from a Pep Boys, but this solution was better and much cheaper. Now, to see what everyone's results are with the correct relay available.

I'll be looking into what Relays are used on the new version IPDM and report on that. That'll be a few more weeks probably. We have a Mod Meet coming up soon for the MVP Titans, and I will learn some more there.
I also wonder the diode amperage rating?.......and what fails? Is it before or after the relay and did you open the case up to determine that yet?
Is heat of the diode the cause of failure or cycling of the relay?

I sure hope Panasonic hasn't farmed out the manufacturing of the relay to China!

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also wonder the diode amperage rating?.......and what fails? Is it before or after the relay and did you open the case up to determine that yet?
Is heat of the diode the cause of failure or cycling of the relay?

I sure hope Panasonic hasn't farmed out the manufacturing of the relay to China!
I did not open the case. I may eventually, but it is not needed... Based on things I've been reading about Relay designs (Thanks to bestatchess for multiple links!) the Diodes are on the Coil to prevent a phenomenon of very high voltages created by the Coil itself, when it releases. Various designs can be used for this. The voltage could be induced into the circuitry, which would damage an ECU, or any other computer like device. However, the Diode causes the Switching action of the Contacts to be slower, and that promotes arcing at the contacts. Thus shortening the life of the relay. The contacts don't handle current flow as well, and eventually the component (i.e. ECU) fails to function. Failure is a catch 22 of relay designing, not a mfg source issue. The ECU Relay is Made in Japan. Others are Made in Thailand.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I did not open the case. I may eventually, but it is not needed... Based on things I've been reading about Relay designs (Thanks to bestatchess for multiple links!) the Diodes are on the Coil to prevent a phenomenon of very high voltages created by the Coil itself, when it releases. Various designs can be used for this. The voltage could be induced into the circuitry, which would damage an ECU, or any other computer like device. However, the Diode causes the Switching action of the Contacts to be slower, and that promotes arcing at the contacts. Thus shortening the life of the relay. The contacts don't handle current flow as well, and eventually the component (i.e. ECU) fails to function. Failure is a catch 22 of relay designing, not a mfg source issue. The ECU Relay is Made in Japan. Others are Made in Thailand.
Ahhh like a resistor...sounds like a cheap voltage regulator....prob . set to 5+ volts?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
The ECM relay circuit is fused at 20 amps, so I don't see a problem with exceeding relay rating. Also, the diode is not seeing any substantial current, unless you f things up and put reverse polarity on the relay coil.

In looking at the diagram in the service manual (2004 page PG-23), the throttle control motor relay and fuel pump relay are also diode protected (is that why so many fuel pumps are getting changed?)

And are those the same Digikey part number, Titan Blue? If so, I'm glad I ordered three of them!

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
All of the non-ECU Relays on the IPDM are the same as each other, different from the ECU. The ECU Relay is unique from everything I've seen so far in my IPDM. They do not have the Diode protection as the motors are not as sensitive to the milliseconds of a high voltage spike like computers are. I bought 6 Non-Diode Relays already, just to be certain of everything, and have spares for the rest of the system. I'll look into it some more to see what you are looking at in the manual. I have pics of the IPDM to check.

That Digi-Key P/N is 255-2183-ND for the non-ECU Relay.

I still need to order my ECU Relay now. Digi-Key will be shipping ECU Relays in early March as of now.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
All of the non-ECU Relays on the IPDM are the same as each other, different from the ECU. They do not have the Diode protection as the motors are not as sensitive to the milliseconds of a high voltage spike like computers are. I bought 6 of those Relays already, just to be certain of everything, and have spares for the rest of the system.

That Digi-Key P/N is 255-2183-ND for the non-ECU Relay.

I still need to order my ECU Relay now. Digi-Key will be shipping ECU Relays in early March as of now.
What year IPDM did you look at? 2004 Service Manual is showing diodes.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
2006. I'm going to open my 2006 manual now to see what is says, and check the pics I made.

Those 2 Relays are not located on the IPDM, unless hidden on back side. My IPDM matches your 2004, confirmed by my Service Manual and my Pics. You are correct in that they are Diode Protected Version Relays. I don't know P/N or where they are located though.

Here are the 9 Relays mounted on the IPDM:

5 Relays across Top, Left to Right-
Starter, Heated Mirror, Not Used, Cooling Fan, Ignition

4 Relays across Bottom, Left (Notched Corner) to Right-
Rear Window Defogger, ECM, Headlamp Low, Front Fog Lamp

So, I now have a new hobby. Locating all the other Relays, and Digi-Key P/N. I'll get right on this. 30" of snow on the hood right now though.. :)

Two things just caught my attention (because I read the Manual!). One Relay is listed as Not Used, and the Manual states the Relays are not removable! I don't have Heated Mirrors. So, that alone gives me 2 more spares built in.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I found them in stock and cheaper at this place, but they have a minimum $35 charge. They all sorts of electrical equipment, but it's a very hard site to navigate and I don't know what half the stuff they sell even is... At any rate, if you need it in hurry, they have them in stock and you can buy some zip ties or something to top off your $35 order requirement. I just ordered from the place TB posted since I'm not in a rush.

PANASONIC EW/AROMAT CM1-D-12V is in stock! | Buy CM1D12V | CM1 D 12V | Onlinecomponents.com

I This site also has a 4 page data sheet on the relay in PDF form. It should have all the data that you guys are looking for. Great work TB, that's saved a lot of people, a lot of money!

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks PistolWhip! Digi-Key has those Relay PDF too. Very helpful info, along with the manual, should we ever choose to read them.

Good Site find, new to me. I'll be checking them out in the future! :)

Next week, we shall start learning a bit more, as the MVP Mad Modding Meet commences Friday at Noon!

1 - 20 of 264 Posts