Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the forum and kinda new to the titan. I had a 05 altima a couple years ago but never did any performance mods to it, and traded it for a ranger[ you can clown me all u want]. i recently bought a titan and am looking to buy a tuner. I know hypertech is a reputable company, and i was looking at the max energy tuner. My question is how do these titans respond to tuning, and has anyone installed these and had any problems. I do know that todays vehicles can be somewhat stubborn to after market tuning. Seen way to many people with 05 and newer vehicles have serious problems with flash tuners. Any info is appreciated

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
There are two types of tunes: Generic and Custom.

Generic tunes include BullyDog, Hypertech and Superchips. These tunes are good for people with nothing more than catback and intake, or a completely stock truck.

For those with headers, supercharger, cams and so on, custom tuning is needed. For that, UpRev is the only one. Cost is around $700.

Most people who buy a tuner for their Titan do so for one reason: to eliminate the WOT (Wide Open Throttle) restriction that prohibits full throttle until 40mph. This applies to the 2 wheel drive models. 4 wheel drive models have less of a restriction that seems to vary, but generally WOT is limited to around 15mph and up.

Any of the tuners I mentioned will allow WOT from a dead stop. Also, the power gains are nearly the same, from 10 to 25hp depending on the tune you select on the tuner.

So what sets them apart? Price, for one. BullyDog is generally the cheapest at just over $300 if you know where to look.

Some tuners have features that other tuners don't. For example, the Bullydog allows you to advance your timing 2 degrees, and on other vehicles. Some people make money on the side by advancing the timing on other Titans. The BD also seems to alter transmission shifts, though many people find the shifts under WOT too harsh.

Superchips has a nice data logging feature that records your runs, and the programmer offers a 2-year powertrain warranty.

BullyDog PowerPup

Superchips Cortex Programmer

Hypertech Programmer

UpRev Osiris

I am assuming that you have an 08 Titan from your screen name. If that's the case, your options are limited, as not everyone supports the 08 and up Titan just yet.

UpRev, BullyDog and maybe Hypertech support your year model. Hope this helps. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Do any of these programers let you brake and gas it? Like the burnout mod?
Nope, because there's a physical controller preventing a brake torque.

·
Banned
3,832 Posts
nice post misfit.. lots of good info

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys. another question i have is how do these trucks ecu,s respond to aftermarket tuning???will the ecu allow it or will it develops all kinds of bugs like the fords and dodges do. i know of so many people with american vehicles that have had major problems with there ecu after tuning. just want to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
thanks guys. another question i have is how do these trucks ecu,s respond to aftermarket tuning???will the ecu allow it or will it develops all kinds of bugs like the fords and dodges do. i know of so many people with american vehicles that have had major problems with there ecu after tuning. just want to be on the safe side.
No problems that I know of. There are people here with mods from mild to wild, and all sorts of ECU tuning to accomodate.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats what i was hoping someone would say. i figured i wa s probably safe knowing how the foriegn world is with aftermarket tuning so i plan on buying the hypertech max energy. while were here, im also going to make a custom exhaust[ i do some welding in the back yard] . i think im going to go with a flowmaster 50,and im looking to buy an intake as well, most likely k&n. thanks for the info

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Misfit...I recently purhased a Superchips Cortex. I do have headers and a high flow exhaust...do you think that tuner will help or should I send it back and get the UpRev custom tune?? Thanks!

·
Banned
3,832 Posts
You probably saw significant gains with the addition of your headers, but you wont maximize your gains with out a custom tune. The addition of uprev will fine tune the little things (actually more important things) like AFR!!!

Uprev offers awesome customer satisfaction and an untouched product for custom tuning. In a nutshell go with UPREV if your running headers! :):)

even though superchips offers a quality product you wont see the same results as you would with osiris/cipher while running headers!!

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/buy-sell/87078-sale-uprev-jba-grille.html

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
You probably saw significant gains with the addition of your headers, but you wont maximize your gains with out a custom tune. The addition of uprev will fine tune the little things (actually more important things) like AFR!!!

Uprev offers awesome customer satisfaction and an untouched product for custom tuning. In a nutshell go with UPREV if your running headers! :):)

even though superchips offers a quality product you wont see the same results as you would with osiris/cipher while running headers!!

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/buy-sell/87078-sale-uprev-jba-grille.html
x2

Anything more than a catback and intake, you should get a custom tune from UpRev IMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can they take off the top speed limiter and do awy with WOT restriction too? Should I go with the 400.00 flash or buy the 700.00 software? Thanks! BTW, I did get a noticeable gain with them headers...a rea BEE_OTCH to put on though!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Can they take off the top speed limiter and do awy with WOT restriction too? Should I go with the 400.00 flash or buy the 700.00 software? Thanks! BTW, I did get a noticeable gain with them headers...a rea BEE_OTCH to put on though!
UpRev was the first to crack the Titan's ECU. So yes, WOT is enabled and the speed limiter can be set to whatever you want.

If you are going UpRev, get the $700 tune. Otherwise, you are stuck with one tune on the $400 deal and to change it, you'll have to send the ECU back in.

The $400 mail in tune was really aimed at folks who had no mods, or nothing more than an intake/exhaust, back in the early days before BD, SC and Hypertech. Now that other hand held programmers are available, the people who go with UpRev are ones who have progressive mods or starting out with major mods like headers, cams and so on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cool. I ordered one today. Can't wait for it to get here. I wonder how many hp that the UpRev will give me. I know BD and SC claims around 24hp and 27tq. Thanks for all you info. Any additional info that I can apply will be appreciated. I want to squeeze every ounce out of my ride.

·
Banned
3,832 Posts
Cool. I ordered one today. Can't wait for it to get here. I wonder how many hp that the UpRev will give me. I know BD and SC claims around 24hp and 27tq. Thanks for all you info. Any additional info that I can apply will be appreciated. I want to squeeze every ounce out of my ride.
wanna max out your titan with out forced induction???
check into JWT cams
Jim Wolf Technology website
and an IPT tranny build
IPT Performance Transmissions Torque Converters and Transmission Parts for Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Import vehicles

ps congrats on new mod!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just wondering on these mods you listed...all you have to do is send in your old valve body and they will adjust it to peakperformance? On the cam, does anyone know how much torque and hp it makes? If it makes a lot of power, it would be worth it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
On the cam, does anyone know how much torque and hp it makes? If it makes a lot of power, it would be worth it.
Check out the pic below, from Jim Wolf's website, which compares the stock cams to the aftermarket cams.

One important thing to keep in mind with the cams is that it extends the rpm range of our engines on the top end; it allows the engine to breathe. The stock VK56 falls flat when you get over about 4k. The Jim Wolf cams make the engine pull hard to redline.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It looks like it peaks about 40tq and 35 hp. Across the board I think it would be a safe bet to say 35tq and 28 hp. ?????? I bet these are a major pain to put in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts