Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slid into a ditch on an icy gravel road early one morning, the ditch was deep, this drivers side rear tire ended up in a 2ft deep creek while the rest of the truck was out. Shock appears to be fully extended and bent, this shock was due for replacement anyhow, it was squeaking and sagging. But any idea what could have caused it to bend like this? It is a procomp stage one lift. There was some other damage to the body, the insurance adjuster didnt think there would be any frame damage. but the left side of my box is pushed up because this shock is stuck.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
There must be some sideways slop in the shaft at full extension, then it got bent on attempted compression. I would also check the axle shafts to make sure they are not bent.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For what it is worth, I drove the truck out of the ditch like this, and drove it 5mi to the shop i was having work on it, it drove fine without any noises (except a blown front strut) and the fact that the shock would not compress, which obviously made a rough ride.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Last week I had a guy slide towards me and I had to take the ditch. When the front tires hit the soft dirt in the shoulder, my truck spun 180 degrees and slammed the rear driver's side tire into the bank. I managed to bend an axle shaft and some minor body damage. My shocks were fine though. I hit hard enough to open the gas flap, and wedge 4 or 5 rocks into the bead. Sure made for a bad day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine was pretty crappy too, I was on an unfamiliar gravel road that had a left sharp curve before the stop sign immediately following a hill on an early morning with blizzard like conditions. Popped over the hill and couldnt get it turned or stopped, slid right into the ditch which was a good gradual 7-10 ft deep with the creek, the way my front end hit the creek, had my truck not been lifted with 35s, I probably would have flipped the truck. amazing that the front end didnt take any damage, the passenger side front fender had some scratches and dents from a branch and the only other body damage was on the bottom rear of the box on both sides by cargo door, from sitting in the creek.

Lift saved a lot!

Wish i could afford coilovers :eyebrow:

soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts