Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is not the section of this forum I would like to be writing in. I'd rather be chatting about upgrades and stuff.

But, the reality is my Titan has now been at the dealer for 11 days and counting. I have an '06 Titan KC Offroad. I bought it last September and only have about 6k miles. I walked out of work last Monday night to find that my truck wouldn't start at all. Lights, radio and air all came on, but it wouldn't turn over at all.

So, the next Morning my dealer had it towed. They determined that the IPDM ("Intelligent" Power Distribution Module) would need to be replaced.

2 days later they get the IPDM and installed it. Truck starts, but won't "move". They decide that the electronic throttle needs to be replaced.

2 days later they get the throttle and install it. Truck will move now but the service engine light tells them that there are several other problems. They determine that they will need a new pressure sensor for the master cylinder. They claim that until they get it installed they can't tell what the other errors might be.

So, now it's 5 days after that and they still have not received the brake pressure sensor.

Not only am I pissed that I've been 11 days without my truck, but I'm worried about what else they're going to find.

How could so many electrical failures happen at once while my truck sat in the parking lot at work? There was a storm that rolled through that afternoon. Is it possible that it was struck by lightning? If so, wouldn't they be able to tell? And, does my warranty cover lightning strikes?

Anybody ever have any similar experience or any IPDM or electronic throttle failures?

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Wasnt this one parked next to yours??

J/K Are you the first owner?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
93,628 Posts
What kind of answers is the dealer giving you?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
If all those electrical systems went bad i'd say it must have had a power surge from something.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I think the dealer is guessing at what the problem is, and they are randomly replacing parts to see if they get lucky.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha! Yeah we had a lot of rain, but not that much.

Yes, I bought the truck new.

The dealer has no answers so far. They think that once they get all the problems fixed they might be able to tell something. They mentioned that if the IPDM shorted out it may have affected other components, but they sound like they're guessing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, it's now been 17 days and my dealer is finally saying the truck is fixed. After finally getting the brake pressure sensor part they installed it and said that the SLIP light would not go off. They said it meant that something in the ABS system or traction control was failing. They cannibalized another truck on the lot for parts and now it's supposedly good to go. The dealer wanted to drive it a little first to make sure that everything was still ok, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

They've now asked me two times if I can remember if there was a storm that went through the day that it died. They are now thinking that it might've been struck by lightning. I told them that is was so long ago that I can't remember. Sounds like they're trying to get out of warranty coverage. Anyway, there's no way they can prove that it was lightning, I guess.

Well, I'm picking it up tomorrow and going camping for the weekend. I'll write back later to give the final report.

·
Registered
275 Posts
One of my customers at work had a vehicle financed with us that was struck by lighting. The insurance company totaled it out because of problems that would be iminate down the road with the electrical system.

I would have someone else take a look at your truck and the electrical system. What if there is an electrical component that is not used on a regualr basis that has faild if the truck was struck by lighting but you don't discover it till later on.
________
Hotels in mexico

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, for taking so long to write back...

I picked up my truck on last Friday morning and dealer still had no clue about what may have caused all the problems. The only theory that they have is that it was struck by lightning. This is my theory too, because of the storm that rolled through the day it died.

So, the final tally is as follows...
- 17 total days in the shop
- IPDM replaced
- electronic throttle replaced
- master cylinder pressure sensor replaced
- ABS/traction control module replaced

The ABS/traction control module that they put in my truck was from another truck on their lot. After doing this they determined that the part that they ordered for mine would not work in the newer truck, so now that they received that part they want to take mine out and put in the one they ordered. More time in the shop! Aaarrgggghhhh!!!!!

Anyway, I've had the truck back for a week now and no problems to report.

Also, when I picked up the truck I found a huge scratch/dent on the roof over the driver's door. I just about went ballistic. It looks like they backed it in under a low garage door or something. The dealer wouldn't take the blame for it, but he said they would fix it anyway since they had it so long trying to fix it.

So, now that my truck is finally running again I have to get some body work done on it. The saga continues....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts