Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Titan LE. Yesterday I accidently hit the power door lock button while exiting to hook up a trailer. The keys were in the ignition with the engine off. After I hooked up the trailer I realized I was locked out. I had the locksmith come and he used a fat hanger to push the door lock button to unlock. When I opened the door the alarm went off and the truck won't start. I consulted the manual which says to turn the key on for 5 seconds and then off for 10 twice which I did (several times) but still won't reset. Did I mention the truck is parked at someones house who is extremely hostile and the faster I get it out of there the safer it is for me and my truck. Any ideas how to get the truck to start?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Give the stolen truck back to it's owner.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
Sometimes the timing on doing stuff like that can be tricky!

Have you tried hitting the lock and unlock on the remote?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Most factory alarm systems can be reset by locking/unlocking the vehicle with the KEY in the drivers side door.. The factory key fob should also do this.

Most of these lockouts seem to happen to people that have an aftermarket alarm systems, the factory security is still in place and if one unlocks the door and opens it without first unlocking it can trigger the factory security to lock down the vehicle. Normally if this is the case it can be solved by hooking up the factory disarm wire on the alarm. Lots of installers don't bother with hooking them up resulting in lockouts!

So if you do get locked out and nothing seems to work, hop out and lock/unlock the drivers side door with the key!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Yea..keep trying and it should be ok once you get the timing right.

The keys were in the ignition with the engine off.
Yea, my old '98 camry won't let you lock the doors with the key in the ignition and the door open. That has saved me soooo many times. I wish the TITAN had that feature :/

·
Registered
121 Posts
One other trick is to have your spare remote at home or with your spouse, dad, etc. In the event you get locked out call them on the phone and have them hold the transmitter up to the phone and press the unlock button. The RF should cross the cell line and volia instant long distance unlockage :)

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
Something don't make sense here, if the key is in the ign (even when engine is OFF) and you hit the door lock button, it WILL NOT lock the door, it will just pop open again. This is to prevent you from locking the key in the truck with key in ign.

·
Premium Member
57,945 Posts
Something don't make sense here, if the key is in the ign (even when engine is OFF) and you hit the door lock button, it WILL NOT lock the door, it will just pop open again. This is to prevent you from locking the key in the truck with key in ign.
Baseball is correct. Something is wrong here.

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
Did I mention the truck is parked at someones house who is extremely hostile and the faster I get it out of there the safer it is for me and my truck. Any ideas how to get the truck to start?

Seeing someone else wife/GF???:D

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
1 post from this guy asking for help on how to get rid of the immobilizer and how he needs that help now?? GIVE THE TRUCK BACK TO IT'S OWNER

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
In the event you get locked out call them on the phone and have them hold the transmitter up to the phone and press the unlock button. The RF should cross the cell line and volia instant long distance unlockage :)
Ummm, I'm pretty sure that won't work.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think he was joking.
Wouldn't it be fun! am I the only one that got that email? :p

I think the message read something like this:
"Subject: Unlock your car from the outside!

This only applies to cars that can be unlocked by remote button. Should you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are home.

If some one has access to the spare remote have them telephone you on your cell phone.

Hold your (or anyone's) cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person press the unlock button, hold it near the phone.

Your car will unlock. I tried it and it works. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object."

Cell phones work at above 800 mhz, and im pretty sure the remotes are all in the 300-500 MHz range. Although it sounds good it probably won't actually work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all who gave advice (Except for the smart-alec). It seems my truck has an aftermarket autostart/alarm system on it that I wasn't told about upon purchase nor given a remote to operate it with. So all the resetting tricks I tried was for the factory immobilizer, thus being the reason nothing was working. I have had the aftermarket system dismantled and have taken to carrying my keyfob separate from my key in case of another lock out episode.

Someone said the truck shouldn't lock if the key is in the ignition. I agree, it shouldn't, but it most certainly does.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Wouldn't it be fun! am I the only one that got that email? :p
Yes please tell me you are just regurgitating internet nonsense.

Cell phones work at above 800 mhz, and im pretty sure the remotes are all in the 300-500 MHz range. Although it sounds good it probably won't actually work.
Probably won't, no. I used to repair 2-way radios for a living. It won't do a thing but make you look silly trying it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks to all who gave advice (Except for the smart-alec). It seems my truck has an aftermarket autostart/alarm system on it that I wasn't told about upon purchase nor given a remote to operate it with. So all the resetting tricks I tried was for the factory immobilizer, thus being the reason nothing was working. I have had the aftermarket system dismantled and have taken to carrying my keyfob separate from my key in case of another lock out episode.

Someone said the truck shouldn't lock if the key is in the ignition. I agree, it shouldn't, but it most certainly does.
Aha that makes some sense now, they probably had one installed traded in the truck and didn't bother to include the remotes.. Was it a siren sound when the alarm went off or just horn honking?

If you can find out what make/model the aftermarket remote start/alarm is you can usually order a remote for it. Programming a new remote to the alarm isn't very difficult once you know what you're dealing with.

What probably prevented it was starting when you triggered that aftermarket alarm was a starter defeat.. (this is simply a relay wired in line with the starter wire) The wire should be a brown wire under the dash in the ignition harness.. when this relay triggers it breaks the connection to the starter, it probably isn't too hard to find this relay just find the starter wire and follow it.

*note* I wasn't trying to be a smartass with the cell phone post I just thought everyone had heard that old myth :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In order to get the truck out of it's undesirable location, I had a computer repair friend disengage the aftermarket system. After all the grief it caused me, I have no intention of reinstalling it or any other of it's kind. But thanks for the info on it anyway. And as for the "smart-alec" I was referring to the first guy that insinuated I was stealing the truck. Not you PondTunes. Your info was all good. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts