Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising down the road after dinner and the engine just died ( No warning lights). I managed to coast till it was safe to park.Every attempt to restart the engine failed. I sat in the truck for a minute to recollect my thoughts and then called my son.

On the first attempt after hooking up the jumper cable it turned a little and on the second attempt it roared back to life.

I suspect alternator failure because of the awful smell coming from under the hood, but it could be the battery. I will leave that decision to the service folks in the morning. :crying:

·
Registered
497 Posts
glad to hear you coasted to the side of the safely, at least you wernt on the highway. gl on the repair.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update.

I was told that loose wiring within the battery harness module caused a melt down of the harness.
The alternator was performing its charging function but it was not getting to the battery.

The replacement part is back ordered so I am stuck with a rental unit.

·
Registered
497 Posts
dang, seems like just about every part is backordered. :wtf:

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
bighawaii said:
dang, seems like just about every part is backordered. :wtf:
The dealership needs to cannibalize the part from a Titan on their lot to fix yours.

·
Registered
514 Posts
This might be more common that you think if the part is backordered. At least that has been my experience.

Wish we knew where to check for these things. They should either swipe the part from a Titan on the lot or give you a titan to drive in the meantime.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, why is every part backordered? Does that mean that in Canton no Titan's are coming off the line, because they are waiting for backordered parts too? I doubt it. Come on Nissan get it together!!! :huh:

·
Registered
134 Posts
bvstone1 said:
This might be more common that you think if the part is backordered. At least that has been my experience.

Wish we knew where to check for these things. They should either swipe the part from a Titan on the lot or give you a titan to drive in the meantime.
I agree with this...either they get it from another Titan, or let you drive another Titan. I would be calling (800)nissan1 and raising serious he!!. The trucks have been in production long enough, all these parts they say are on back order...thats B.S. They should have parts on hand for repairs. Come on, this is the first year (technically months) of production...do the engineers actually think this vehicle is going to be problem free? Just my opinion...

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
ZubbyZu said:
I was told that loose wiring within the battery harness module caused a melt down of the harness.
The alternator was performing its charging function but it was not getting to the battery.

The replacement part is back ordered so I am stuck with a rental unit.
"loose wiring within the module caused a melt down of the harness"

This sounds like dealer B.S. lingo for either (1) a fuse blew or (2) a fusible link blew.

Did you look at the fuses hanging off the battery?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bestatchess said:
"loose wiring within the module caused a melt down of the harness"

This sounds like dealer B.S. lingo for either (1) a fuse blew or (2) a fusible link blew.

Did you look at the fuses hanging off the battery?
The whole cable/fuse thing was toast. The service guy called today with a 4/25 ETA on the part or parts. I promptly informed him that was not acceptable. I will be paying the service manager a visit later today

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
ZubbyZu said:
The whole cable/fuse thing was toast. The service guy called today with a 4/25 ETA on the part or parts. I promptly informed him that was not acceptable. I will be paying the service manager a visit later today

The dealership needs to get real. It is stupid for the dealership to think that you would pay a month's note on your Titan that is under warranty without getting to drive it.

I worked at a manufacturing facility before and if that plant was short on parts they would keep supplying the assembly lines before they would give up the parts for service repair. The bottom line is $$$. Nissan can make much more money on a completed Titan than they can on a replacement part.

Customers would call the plant and ask, "if you are out of this part how come I still see finished goods leaving your shipping dock with this part on it?"

Your dealership needs to give you a loaner Titan or, as I said earlier, cannibalize off of a Titan on their lot.

I think the problem with getting a coin tray was a omen of sorts about what to expect with parts availability.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They located the part.

Before I had a chance to go "act up" the service manager called. He inform me they located the part after contacting almost every dealerships nationwide. My Truck should be ready on Friday.

I took a calculated risk back in early Dec when I took delivery of the very first Titan that showed up at my local Dealership in TX. I knew that part availability issues may come up during the first 2 months but not 4 months down the road. I also hope this is not a sign of things to come.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And by the way, if your gauges flicker every now and then with out the keys in the ignition have it checked out. They think that was the first indication something was loose.
I remember asking the service guy to check it out during my 1st oil change, but since it did not flicker while in the shop you can guess the rest of the story.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts