Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have had my truck for about 3 months within the past month i have noticed a little knock and it sounds like the bottom end more to the driver side. I have searched this site and found all kinds of diff stuff. I found a like on youtube that sounds just like mine down to the "T" so if you would happend to have any ideas or advice i would be grateful. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Nothing but injector noise up top.
I would suspect a cracked exhaust manifold.
Warranted for 8/80.

·
Registered
989 Posts
First off, welcome. My 06 has the same noise, however it isn't constant like the video. It is almost like it skips every now and then. It has been doing that for a long time now (I can't remember if it did that when new or not) and all seems good, so I stopped worrying about it.

Edit: walleeme, if it is the same noise I am hearing on my truck then I am pretty sure its not injector noise. It sounds like it is coming from the bottom end and is more of a knocking rather than a ticking.

·
Registered
563 Posts
At the beginning it sounds like normal lifter/injector noise. When you pop the hood it sounds like a cracked manifold. Is it under warrenty still?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well its an 04 with 91 thousand miles. When i first got it i never heard it but after my first oil change i noticed it im useing 5w-30 with lucas oil stabilizer. It only happens when its warmed up and at idle. And no its not under warranty. Thanks again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I haved a 2010, with 42K on it and currently using quaker state full synth, and recently have noticed a knocking....but only under light load like small hills but once i hit highways it disappears and afterwards i don't hear it....

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
cracked mani

·
Registered
560 Posts
The noise in that video is not a cracked manifold. My 13 with 6000 miles does it but not as loud. I hope it's normal.

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
The noise in that video is not a cracked manifold. My 13 with 6000 miles does it but not as loud. I hope it's normal.
I agree, a cracked manifold has more of a ticking noise...whereas this noise is a clear and distinctive knock. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it has the wrong oil or oil filter, bad oil pump, or something restriction the flow of oil.

Reactions: Titan332009

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2007 Titan with 109,000 miles on it developed the engine knocking noise at start-up, which lasted about 45 seconds, then quit. Occasionally, when idling at a Stop Light, the knocking noise would start again for about 30 seconds, then quit.

I just put my Titan in the shop and they discovered that the knocking noise was from a faulty HEATER CONTROL VALVE requiring replacement of the valve for $447, plus labor. Since coolant runs through the heater, I am draining the old coolant and replacing it with new coolant. Since I live in SW Florida, the Titan heater has rarely been used, but the heat and humidity in our area affects mechanical parts over time (particularly vehicle batteries, which go bad frequently).

The faulty Heater Control Valve makes much sense than other possible causes I reviewed on the Internet, such as Cracked Manifold, and dirty Valve Lifters. I presume I could continue to drive the Titan with the faulty valve with just the occasional annoyance of the knocking noise, but I elected to have it fixed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Reviving this old thread... Any new ideas on the noise coming from under the truck on the video? I am using M-1 0W-40. It seems to be coming from around the oil pan when I crawl underneath. No codes or any issues, but I would like to prevent an issue (if there is one).

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
That's a rod knock, without a doubt.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just noticed something similar on my 2012 with 85,000 miles...mine seems to be very intermittent, and not as loud as that. Recently had the oil changed at a different shop, I wonder if that has something to do with it. Although I have no idea how long its really been going on because its so intermittent. It sounds like its coming from somewhere even with the front jamb of the driver side door. Sounds silly but it sounds like its coming from the area of the first cat. I cant hear it at all under the hood, and not really under the front fender either. Maybe its normal...i hope.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Just noticed something similar on my 2012 with 85,000 miles...mine seems to be very intermittent, and not as loud as that. Recently had the oil changed at a different shop, I wonder if that has something to do with it. Although I have no idea how long its really been going on because its so intermittent. It sounds like its coming from somewhere even with the front jamb of the driver side door. Sounds silly but it sounds like its coming from the area of the first cat. I cant hear it at all under the hood, and not really under the front fender either. Maybe its normal...i hope.
It's probably a heat shield.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's probably a heat shield.
You think???
Ive had plenty of heat shields rattle, but never one knock before.

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
Over the years we've heard about different brands of oil filter causing noise. Change to a different brand of oil filter (that isn't made by the same company of course). I used AMSOil filters in my Titan and didn't have any strange noises from the bottom (of the engine).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts