Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,978 Posts
i believe if you look in the manual it says to use 6.5 quarts. and yes with 6.5 quarts it should register on the dipstick. now remember the dipstick is not an exact measuring device, it is just there to let you know you are in the right capacity range.
You looked in the manual for fluid capacities? You rebel you! :read:

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Somewhere, maybe in the SAE White Paper on the VK56DE Design, it list total oil capacity of a Dry Block as being about 8-1/2 Qts. This would be an engine that has been completely disassembled for rebuild, or is brand new off the factory floor and never had any oil in it before. Not a number most of us will ever need to know about. Interesting that PAPARYNO let his drain for an extended time and it took an extra 3/4 of a Quart to fill to the line. Lots of Oil Film to drain. As I've posted before, a "General Rule of Thumb" is that an engine can be filled + or - 10% of rated capacity with out any danger. In other words, being over or under by 3/4 of a Qt is nothing to worry about. Oil threads are always entertaining...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Seven quarts at my dealer we put seven in we have problems wit customers not correctly checking their oil. U may also want to look into a additive /cleaner for the oil like every oil change add this in or waterer the product recommends we use a company called bg and they offer a product called MOA I put that in every oil change I've heard people running trani fluid in their oil for maybe like 20 mins and then changing oil. the trani fluid has a cleaner in it. But seven should be good put seven in run the eninge let sit for ten to twenty mins and check (per assist)
Anyways everyone has their own opinions.
-nissantec

·
Premium Member
68,122 Posts
Gotta love those run on sentences...

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Seven quarts at my dealer we put seven in we have problems wit customers not correctly checking their oil. U may also want to look into a additive /cleaner for the oil like every oil change add this in or waterer the product recommends we use a company called bg and they offer a product called MOA I put that in every oil change I've heard people running trani fluid in their oil for maybe like 20 mins and then changing oil. the trani fluid has a cleaner in it. But seven should be good put seven in run the eninge let sit for ten to twenty mins and check (per assist)
Anyways everyone has their own opinions.
-nissantec
We just had our new 2011 Murano in for its' 1st oil change. They listed an oil additive called BG on my RO. The owners manual on EVERY Nissan vehicle I've owned states not to use oil additive of any kind. It's strictly a way for the dealer to scam you out of $8.95 and does NOTHING! Oil comes supplied with all the additives needed for the recommended amount of time and mileage.
I made them remove the charge and they offered to change the oil again for free next time. What a racket!:bangit:

·
Premium Member
68,122 Posts
Well said sir....

·
Premium Member
42,978 Posts
We just had our new 2011 Murano in for its' 1st oil change. They listed an oil additive called BG on my RO. The owners manual on EVERY Nissan vehicle I've owned states not to use oil additive of any kind. It's strictly a way for the dealer to scam you out of $8.95 and does NOTHING! Oil comes supplied with all the additives needed for the recommended amount of time and mileage.
I made them remove the charge and they offered to change the oil again for free next time. What a racket!:bangit:
Hence the term stealership...how many people do they pull that on? Lots

I havent paid for an oil change (besides the oil & filter) in 27 years...I get home from school, my older cousins 65 Impala car is in the driveway, walk inside, no cousin around, dad throws me the keys and says enjoy your ride and by the way your car is due for an oil change, WooHoo! I still remember that day laying under the Chevy pulling the old cartridge style filter and him walking me through what to do. Back in the day where you could adjust the timing in minutes with a timing light and turn of the distributor...I miss the car...but not the distributor points!

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I always do my own oil, but I figured I'd let them do the 1st one seeing as it had to be in for an alignment anyhow. Cost me $42 for a regular oil change (Murano is only 4.5 qts) when a fully synthetic, which I'll do at its next change, cost me about $35 with the filter when I get the 5 qt w/filter deal at Advance auto.

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
I have been taking mine to the local dealership. I bring my own oil and filter and they charge about 10 to 15 bucks to change it for me.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using the auto guide app

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put in 11 quarts.. still not up to full mark.. only mid way.. manual says 9.5.. of course the manual says a lot of things that are not right.. and that is hard to believe..but true..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I always do my own oil, but I figured I'd let them do the 1st one seeing as it had to be in for an alignment anyhow. Cost me $42 for a regular oil change (Murano is only 4.5 qts) when a fully synthetic, which I'll do at its next change, cost me about $35 with the filter when I get the 5 qt w/filter deal at Advance auto.
the 5.0 Diesel costs me over $100 in just filter and oil every 10,000 miles.. I change my own..

·
Registered
59 Posts
only way to ensure you have enough oil....
1. remove dipstick from dipstick tube, do not install till step 2 is complete.
2. add oil until you see oil in the dipstick tube like in a lawnmower.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts