Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever removed their PCV(2) ea? or even replaced them?
I just removrd mine, cleaned and insp and they look fine. My left side was alittle loose. Heres some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone? no one here has seen these?

Reactions: TitanOscar

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
on Courtesy Nissan site the around $13 each
the service manual shows them as the PCV for each valve cover

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Re: Engine PCV - "What they are for"

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what they are for and if it is cheaper to just replace them.
PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) is a directional flow control valve that allows oil fumes pushing out (Positive Pressure) from the crankcase to enter the airflow just behind the Air Filter, so the oil fumes get sucked into the air/fuel mixture and burn. This prevents oil fumes from entering the atmosphere or dripping on the ground, as pollution. Older and even some current engines not for on road use, simply have a breather cap on the valve cover, to allow pressure (and oil fumes) to escape. Pressure is developed by the action of the Crankshaft/Pistons running and some blow-by from the Compression of the engine. Sometimes incorrectly referred to as a Pollution Control Valve or even a PVC Valve (PVC being a type of plastic). If it rattles freely, it is basically OK.

Usually clean or replace every 15-30K. I am surprised how tightly screwed in mine are! I cleaned mine at about 60 K miles, will replace sometime when I find where my new ones are hiding out. Auto Zone Store only has 1 in stock at a time! About $8.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Thanks for the knowledge base on this TitanBlue. I can honestly say I've never heard of this part but for the work it does and the price it's worth changing then. I will definately order replacements today on RockAuto.

One last thing on this matter. How many do I need? and which one is the correct one? RockAuto shows two parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
If the valve inside still rattles freely then it's fine, no need to replace. I've never had one gummed up to the point it needed replacement. Just take them out every 60k and spray some carb cleaner in both ends and shake around for a bit.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sad thing after owning two titans I just now found these on Sunday while changing my oil......and I call myself a mechanic.
I cleaned mine using some Alcohol and low pressure air.

·
Registered
928 Posts
sad thing after owning two titans I just now found these on Sunday while changing my oil......and I call myself a mechanic.
I cleaned mine using some Alcohol and low pressure air.
So back to my previous post guys. For the price I rather go new but need to know which is the correct ones and how many I need. Also where do they go or come from?

not like asking where do babies come from as I now understand they come from a collective bargaining agreement between the Stork and China.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I have changed mine. Pretty easy. I think the service manual says to replace every 60,000 miles. Easy to do and cheap at autozone.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
60k?!!!! oh crap I have 84K on my truck now
using either Mobil 1 or Amsoil helps

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
60k?!!!! oh crap I have 84K on my truck now
using either Mobil 1 or Amsoil helps
At least I think that's what I remember reading. But when I took em off they seemed fine. I did not do it at 60k though... lol. It was more like 80k or 90k when I did mine. No noticeable differences were had. Just piece of mind knowing they were fresh and new . :)

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
same here just put the new ones in make me feel better.
guess I get new one this week end

·
Registered
928 Posts
same here just put the new ones in make me feel better.
guess I get new one this week end
I ordered them along with the in cabin filters from rockauto. can someone point me in the right direction, possibly with pictures to see where the pcv's go?
Much appreceated.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
heres another pic of the right side with the pcv removed

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts