Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the crank in the Titan is forged from reading some of Nissans brochures, but what about the rods and pistons? Going back to my earlier Mustang 5.0L days the pre-93's were all forged and could take numerous bottles of nitrous and supercharging with no ill effects. Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I haven't seen anything in print so far about the Pistons etc.

Might be a good Q for Nissan via e-mail.

Chris

·
Registered
250 Posts
JetForeman said:
I know that the crank in the Titan is forged from reading some of Nissans brochures, but what about the rods and pistons? Going back to my earlier Mustang 5.0L days the pre-93's were all forged and could take numerous bottles of nitrous and supercharging with no ill effects. Anyone know?
I seriously doubt it, especially with a normally aspirated motor. The downside of forged pistons is piston slap on a cold motor. And I am sure Nissan wanted to avoid that, especially after seeing the ruckus raised by Tundra and Silverado owners about cold start knock.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
outahere said:
I seriously doubt it, especially with a normally aspirated motor. The downside of forged pistons is piston slap on a cold motor. And I am sure Nissan wanted to avoid that, especially after seeing the ruckus raised by Tundra and Silverado owners about cold start knock.
Those two trucks have forged pistons in them? I'm impressed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
JetForeman said:
Those two trucks have forged pistons in them? I'm impressed.
No, they do not have forged pistons. The noise comes from redesigned pistons (reducing piston height to reduce friction), which in turn makes it easier for the piston to rock in the bore, which leads to increased noise when cold.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
outahere said:
No, they do not have forged pistons. The noise comes from redesigned pistons (reducing piston height to reduce friction), which in turn makes it easier for the piston to rock in the bore, which leads to increased noise when cold.
You lost me then, so what does a slapping piston have to do with my original question of forged or not?

·
Registered
250 Posts
JetForeman said:
You lost me then, so what does a slapping piston have to do with my original question of forged or not?
The experiences with Toyota and Chevrolet have demonstrated that consumers do not like cold engine piston slap, despite the fact that it goes away when the engine is warm. There is a class action lawsuit against Chevrolet about this piston noise. Excessive piston noise in a cold engine can come from forged pistons, and from cast pistons that are too short. Nissan has nothing to gain, and potentially lots to lose by installing noisy forged pistons in the V8.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
outahere said:
The experiences with Toyota and Chevrolet have demonstrated that consumers do not like cold engine piston slap, despite the fact that it goes away when the engine is warm. There is a class action lawsuit against Chevrolet about this piston noise. Excessive piston noise in a cold engine can come from forged pistons, and from cast pistons that are too short. Nissan has nothing to gain, and potentially lots to lose by installing noisy forged pistons in the V8.
I didn't know that forged pistons caused slap, I thought it was the short piston skirts along with low tension rings that did that. Learn something new everyday. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts