Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 Titan has I think spark knock(30K miles). The dealer says no fault codes and higher octane gas isn't helping. Anyone know if a knock sensor can go intermittenly bad? I would hate to give up my beautiful truck but I hear pre-ignition detonation is no good for piston heads. Is anyone else having this problem?

I also get an intermittant ticking at idle but i don't know if this is related.

Thanks,

Donkeyfish

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
donkey,

strange you brought this up - i just drove from houston to San francisco (via las vegas) and once
i got past Flagstaff i could actually hear the detonation in my truck. and this is at 75MPH on the Interstate
with mud terrain tires. my Nissan sounded like a 70's Chevy with the timing off!!! It was
just the three of us with 02 suitcases and a 40lb ice chest!! somebody help!!!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
wow - no one else has a detonation problem?? Don't these new trucks have knock sensors?

·
Registered
222 Posts
The trucks do have knock sensors and they work pretty good. Also, it's damn near impossible to spark knock at idle so you must be hearing something else. Make sure your exhaust manifolds are not cracked.

·
Registered
126 Posts
There was 2 separate issues on the 04 anyway there was a tsb to replace a purge valve that would sound like a knock at idle. Someeople said there was a grounding issue sounded like a ticking behind the dash but was actually the ground wire arcing to the block or something like that a batt. cable from the ground near the batt to the block takes care of that.

My guess is that you have 1 if not both of these like I did very common on the early 04's

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
So how noticeable is a knock? I just began hearing a knock type noise at idle. Its intermittent (sp?), not knock..knock..knock.. but more like knock..........knock knock.........knock.

·
Registered
205 Posts
donkeyfish said:
My '04 Titan has I think spark knock(30K miles). The dealer says no fault codes and higher octane gas isn't helping. Anyone know if a knock sensor can go intermittenly bad? I would hate to give up my beautiful truck but I hear pre-ignition detonation is no good for piston heads. Is anyone else having this problem?

I also get an intermittant ticking at idle but i don't know if this is related.

Thanks,

Donkeyfish
I have the same problem with my '04. I only use Shell or Chev. gas, 91 oct. does nothing to help. I can hear the thing pinging at Hwy. speed. My truck has 77,000 miles but has done it since about 30,000. I had it in to the dealer twice for this prob. they said use 91 oct., then they reset the ecu, neither one worked. I'm going in to the dealer for an oil change tomorow, I will talk to the service guy about it again. I will let you know how that goes.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The most common time to hear spark knock is at partial throttle at low speed (so it's not drowned out by wind noise). If it's at idle or only on the freeway, chances are it's not spark knock.

Andrew

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses. The ticking at idle I think is from the A.C. compressor cycling on. The spark knock is still a concern. I hear going between 40-80 mhp at partial acceleration. I'll check the exhaust mainfolds and the battery cable thing. If I don't find it, I guess I'll spend the money to have a non-biased mechanic run through some diagnostics. I'll keep you guys posted...thanks.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
donkeyfish said:
Thanks for all the responses. The ticking at idle I think is from the A.C. compressor cycling on. The spark knock is still a concern. I hear going between 40-80 mhp at partial acceleration. I'll check the exhaust mainfolds and the battery cable thing. If I don't find it, I guess I'll spend the money to have a non-biased mechanic run through some diagnostics. I'll keep you guys posted...thanks.

Donkey - I'm sorry what year truck?
what is the AFR correction factor that the Consult reads while at idle? If it's above 107% there is one problem...too lean. After tuning my truck with Uprev software I get the same knock at highway speeds under light accel from 65-80 in overdrive. I was able to correct that issue using thier software which is in beta form as I type.

If you want to confrim knock please click my link in sig and listen to the files and make yourself a cheap yet effective audio cable.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Oh yeah where are you located maybe there is a Cipher user in your area you can get a data log of your truck.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The detonation that you guys are hearing on the Fwy.Is it constant for a few seconds.Or is it just an intermittent tick sound like wires are arcing?Mine was intermittent drove me crazy.I found it to be the hood stops.(the ones towards the back corners by the hinges)They had rubbed through the paint on the bottom of the hood.I guess on the Fwy when the hood shifted around it would make that arcing sound.I put a piece of electrical tape on the bare spot where the stops were rubbing on the hood.And no more sparking or ticking sound at Fwy speeds.Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I was having HEAVY detonation on the freeway -- usually while climbing a steep long grade at interstate speeds (75-90mph) and giving 1/2 throttle (or a bit more) but while still keeping in 5th gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the responses but some idiot pulled out in front of me while i was going 45 mph. didn't even have enough time to touch the brakes. my beautiful, loaded Titan is now scrap metal. i'll be shopping again for another titan if only i could find the same kind of deal.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Sorry Donkey. Was it a BT truck? How bad is it repairable or truely salvage?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I think alot of people are confusing pre ignition with detonation. The engine will not last long if deto is occuring, fragged pistons and or blown headgaskets usually occur soon after heavy deto occurs. On a naturally aspirated titan, you would have to have some really crappy fuel to get detonation. Pre ignition or pinging is typically harmless, just annoying.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
SupraTitan said:
I think alot of people are confusing pre ignition with detonation. The engine will not last long if deto is occuring, fragged pistons and or blown headgaskets usually occur soon after heavy deto occurs. On a naturally aspirated titan, you would have to have some really crappy fuel to get detonation. Pre ignition or pinging is typically harmless, just annoying.
I'm pretty sure we're talking about detonation, here.

Knocking (also called pinging)— colloquially detonation—in internal combustion engines occurs when air/fuel mixture in the cylinder has been ignited by the spark plug and the smooth burning is interrupted by the unburned mixture in the combustion chamber exploding before the flame front can reach it. The engineered combusting process ceases, because of the explosion, before the optimum moment for the four-stroke cycle. The resulting shockwave reverberates in the combustion chamber, creating a characteristic metallic "pinging" sound, and pressures increase catastrophically. It can range from hardly noticeable to complete engine destruction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Detonation (also called "spark knock") is an erratic form of combustion that can cause head gasket failure as well as other engine damage. Detonation occurs when excessive heat and pressure in the combustion chamber cause the air/fuel mixture to autoignite. This produces multiple flame fronts within the combustion chamber instead of a single flame kernel. When these multiple flames collide, they do so with explosive force that produces a sudden rise in cylinder pressure accompanied by a sharp metallic pinging or knocking noise. The hammer-like shock waves created by detonation subject the head gasket, piston, rings, spark plug and rod bearings to severe overloading.

Mild or occasional detonation can occur in almost any engine and usually causes no harm. But prolonged or heavy detonation can be very damaging. So if you hear knocking or pinging when accelerating or lugging your engine, you probably have a detonation problem.

http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm

DETONATION:

Also known as ping or spark knock, detonation takes place after the spark plug has fired and a portion of the air / fuel mixture has been consumed in the normal combustion process. As combustion progresses and octane quality is inadequate, the pressure and temperature in the combustion chamber increase to a point where the remaining unburned mixture is unstable. At that point, the remaining mixture self ignites, creating much higher pressure and temperature than would occur during normal combustion. The sound of detonation occures when the peak cylinder pressure takes place too early in the cycle. This causes vibration in the cylinder walls, resulting in ring seal loss, and excessive piston rock. Detonation can also overload the pistons, rings, wrist pin bushings, and rod bearings. Some engine damage can occur when detonation is mininal, but severe detonation can cause major damage.

PRE-IGNITION:

This phenomenon is just as its name implies that it takes place before ignition of the air / fuel mixture would normally occur (that is, before the spark plug fires). This condition is caused by a hot spot in the combustion chamber. It could be a piece of carbon, a hot spot on the exhaust valve, or from heat generated in the previous combustion stroke. Pre-Ignition is very likely to be destructive due to the very high cylinder pressure that occurs before the piston has reached top dead center. This condition can damage or destroy pistons, rings, bearings, crankshafts, and head gaskets.

Neither detonation nor Pre-Ignition is good for an engine. Detonation is likely to damage it, while Pre-Ignition can destroy it.

http://www.whitfieldoil.com/www/docs/171.259/sunoco-race-fuels.html

Andrew

1 - 17 of 17 Posts