Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a million threads on this, but i still cannot make up my mind what i want to do.

Here's the low down...

Getting DT LT's and Berk B-pipes installed next week, currently have magnaflow catback exhaust with a dump after muffler (06 stock exhaust besides catback currently). I don't want really loud and obnoxious so I am trying to figure out if just going to the 24" magnaflow will tone it down enough or should I look at adding a Reso??

Thanks for any comments!

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
I have the JBA catback and after the headers and midpipes it sounded like crap. It droned and spat like a glasspack. In went a 24" 7" round 30" overall Magnaflow XL, no drone, not loud but beastly deep. No CIS at all!! Mash on it, and it's clean sounding all the way to redline. Loving it..

L

Reactions: Squidman24

·
Registered
220 Posts
subscribing..... I have the same exact issue. I just got Stillen LT's and Berk B-Pipes installed and now my 18" dumped Maggy sounds terrible....interested to see what ideas people have to fix this.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have the JBA catback and after the headers and midpipes it sounded like crap. It droned and spat like a glasspack. In went a 24" 7" round 30" overall Magnaflow XL, no drone, not loud but beastly deep. No CIS at all!! Mash on it, and it's clean sounding all the way to redline. Loving it..

L
Good Info...I was thinking about adding reso's but this sounds like another possible alternative. I love magnaflows products but they dont seem to mesh well with the VK56 and headers.....maybe I have just been using the wrong Magnaflow Muffler.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
I'm going to try to get a sound clip when it stops raining. The Magnaflow XL was about 60 bucks. Part# 13742. It's a 3" in out and there's quite a few configurations. I just went with the longest without cutting the JBA's piping.

L

·
Registered
182 Posts

L

This is great info since I am having DT LT's, Berk B pipes, and a JBA installed right now. I'll wait and see what it sounds like on monday when I pick it up, but if it's as you describe I won't like it either. No drone, no CIS, and deep would be ideal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm going to try to get a sound clip when it stops raining. The Magnaflow XL was about 60 bucks. Part# 13742. It's a 3" in out and there's quite a few configurations. I just went with the longest without cutting the JBA's piping.

L
Get that sound clip up! Do you still have the entire JBA catback through to the tip? I read a lot of folks were cutting it off after the last hangar to get rid of drone.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Get that sound clip up! Do you still have the entire JBA catback through to the tip? I read a lot of folks were cutting it off after the last hangar to get rid of drone.

Yeah, I have the entire CB piping minus the K&N muffler of course. I'm hoping it don't get louder as it "breaks in".

L

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have seen plenty of people on here discuss the 18" or 22" Magnaflow, but never the model number you are talking about. How does it impact performance versus the shorter mufflers?

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Don't have a clue, I went for noise reduction..lol But it's a round, straight through design like most of the Magnaflows, so performance loss if any would be neglegible IMO. I just wanted a muffler that fit, 30" long was the longest I could get away without cutting. I haven't seen any post on the Magnaflow XL on here. I just jumped on that particular model hoping it would sound better and got lucky. I should have sound clip posted as soon as I get the honeydo's out the way and figure how to post it.

Are you all bolted up yet?

L

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input guys....
BBtruck your setup sounds exactly like what I want,think ill give that muffler a try! Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Don't have a clue, I went for noise reduction..lol But it's a round, straight through design like most of the Magnaflows, so performance loss if any would be neglegible IMO. I just wanted a muffler that fit, 30" long was the longest I could get away without cutting. I haven't seen any post on the Magnaflow XL on here. I just jumped on that particular model hoping it would sound better and got lucky. I should have sound clip posted as soon as I get the honeydo's out the way and figure how to post it.

Are you all bolted up yet?

L
I get her back tomorrow, I hope.

It's entirely possible I like the sound as is, everyone has a unique preference. But, I don't want loud - I want performance with a deep rumble, if possible. I've had glasspacks on a Jeep with a 304 V-8, I had a nice boomy exhaust on a Bronco with a 302, I had a nice poppy but deep exhaust on a Suburban with a 454. I put a Banks powerpack on a motorhome with a 460. Kind of ridiculous now that I type that up I guess. But I know now, having young kids, that I don't want it to be too loud.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey BBTruck, I want that sound clip! I need to decide between your recommendation at $65 versus the 22" Magnaflow at $110.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
The JBA's muffler is sounding like crap already?
I will not have camera until friday, my daughter decided to take it without letting me know.

I did had to cut about 1.5" off the other end of the Y pipe to make Maggy XL fit better. It's clamped instead of welded just incase I want to change it out. So far I'm happy with it, but I did finally hear some CIS on heavy throttle with all the windows open. Not really bad or loud but present nevertheless. Trying to get the right sound off these Titans is not as easy as those pushrods V8's that's for sure.

Which $110 Maggy you're contemplating? Is that the one Toomnymods recommended? If it is, it's a proven performance muffler by quite a few members. The Maggy ovals are much quieter than their rounds. I would buy whatever he recommends and with the overall size of the 22" you might not have to cut at all..

If you could hold up until the weekend, I'll have the soundclips.:teeth:

L

·
Vendor
7,924 Posts
Just curious, Yall with the jba drone what muffler came with your catback? Was the muffler round or oval. I have the oval 22" muffler that jba uses now and I have no drone at all. I still run stock exhaust to the cats.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey BBTRUCK you got any pics of your setup? I'd like to see how you got that big azz muffler in there. I would like to be able to tell the shop what I want them to do instead of them just cutting and welding however they want.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Anybody have updates on their setups? Pics or vids?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought the 30" straight through muffler and HATED it...very very raspy and loud. I am running dumped so im sure that had something to do with it but man it was not at all like BBtruck described at least on my truck.

I called all over Houston trying to find a 22" oval maggy to replace with the same day, found one, got raped but It was soooo worth it. The 22" sounds awesome and only a little bit of CIS at WOT.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I bought the 30" straight through muffler and HATED it...very very raspy and loud. I am running dumped so im sure that had something to do with it but man it was not at all like BBtruck described at least on my truck.

I called all over Houston trying to find a 22" oval maggy to replace with the same day, found one, got raped but It was soooo worth it. The 22" sounds awesome and only a little bit of CIS at WOT.
Did you replace the muffler on your Magnaflow catback w/ the 22"? I thought that system comes w/ a 24" muffler.

You have the DTs and Berks right? If possible, can you post a sound vid?

I have the same setup but w/ an 18" maggie (stock 07+ pipes) and I can't decide if I want to tone it down w/ an x-pipe (10790) or 24" muffler (12368).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts