Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I've got the dreaded manifold crack....but with a twist.

On start up I am getting CIS sometimes. When the engine warms up a little more it tends to go away. Most mornings, there is no noise at all.

My fuel mileage is lower than usual and outside the vehicle I can hear a faint puff.

I can tell it's coming from the left bank somewhere, but I can't tell where. I would assume if my header was cracked the noise would be more consistent. Any ideas where to look before I pull the trigger on some long tubes and b pipes? I would hate to spend the money if it's a gasket or something minor.Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I saw where a guy duct tapes a shop-vac on the end of the exhaust, then turns it on and uses cigarette smoke around the exhaust from the manifolds back looking for any places that the smoke gets sucked in. You can also listen for hissing as well. I suspect you may have a small crack and after it warms up and expands, the crack closes. Make sure if you do the above test, the exhaust is stone cold.

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
CIS is somewhat common on these trucks when the exhaust is cold. A cracked manifold will "tick" when the engine is cold and once warmed up it will decrease or disappear until the point where you hear it all the time or under a load. 90-130K miles is the norm for the cracks to appear on these trucks. There will not be a cel until the rich fuel delivery burns out the cats then the codes will appear. Bad MPG is a sign of things to come so read up on the issue and prepare. Cajunbpipes.com has the best and cheapest fix on the market.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CIS is somewhat common on these trucks when the exhaust is cold. A cracked manifold will "tick" when the engine is cold and once warmed up it will decrease or disappear until the point where you hear it all the time or under a load. 90-130K miles is the norm for the cracks to appear on these trucks. There will not be a cel until the rich fuel delivery burns out the cats then the codes will appear. Bad MPG is a sign of things to come so read up on the issue and prepare. Cajunbpipes.com has the best and cheapest fix on the market.
Yeah, my hopes of a gasket were just shot down :) My truck turned over 90k a month or so ago. I towed a miata race car from Tampa, Florida to Kershaw, South Carolina for a race in September and the fuel mileage went way down after the race weekend and never came back up.

I've spoken to you already via email and got my quote its looking like that's the way I am going to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts